Thinking of the beach!

You bet!

Anyone who has been through the body "blowup" of pregnancy more than once deserves mucho credit for showing up at the pool at all. My husband is really in great shape for his age...and plays around with all the kids (his and others) when he's at the pool. People give me looks, but probably different than what you get
happy.gif

Joanna

could be worse

I couldnt help but laugh when I read your post. I teach swimming lessons during the year. Unfortunatly, I spend my entire life (it seems) in a speedo. Nightmare huh??? The worst part is that in the winter months I teach at a university to the college kids. Now mind you, thats 18 to 23 year olds in their bathing suits.... Ive learned not to pay any attention to what I, a 36 year old mother of 3 children look like. But if all else fails and Im feeling really bad about myself that day I just jump into the water and hide!!!

Thanks for the info

Cathe,
Your response to Debra prompted me to find that post and re-read it and I have to thank you again for such an informative discussion of interval training. Before my recent bout of bronchitis, I was trying to do 1-2 intervals a week; one a "structured" interval tape like your IMAX or Intense Moves and one session of a really hard slide tape that I thought of as an interval tape based on how it made me feel and how I used it (I kept up with the instructor into what felt like the anerobic phase until I needed to recover). Still, I wasn't sure it was "kosher" for me to count it as an interval tape. Now I know I was "fartleking" - yes, awful name!

Thanks again - I'm trying to patiently work back up to my previous level (patience is NOT one of my virtues) so I can IMAX and fartlek again!

Judy

I am CRACKING up!

Have been thinking that there is NO WAY you will catch me at the pool this season! This will be my first time to go through being BIG and pregnant during bathing suit season.My other children are born in the last quarter of the year. Wouldn't you know I finally found 2 suits last year that I felt comfortable in. One a Lands'End w/ sarong, the other a boy cut. Won't be able to get my big toe into either one in a couple of months.Maybe my gut will be big enough to balance my butt out though! HAHA- looking on the bright side!Happy suit hunting to all!

interval followup question

Your November post was very thorough & helpful. Keeping in mind your advice about using perceived exertion as a measure of intensity rather than the numbers on the heart rate monitor. Is it accurate to say that one is doing interval training (the type that should be limited) when their perceived exertion is at 10 (on a 10 point scale)?

During spinning classes & on days I'm doing hill work on my bike (once or twice a week), my heart rate is frequently at 80 or 90% of max. But I don't feel that I'm maxed out. My spinning instructor will often tell me to add more tension or leg speed as she perceives I'm too comfortable. So I'm trying to clarify that this isn't the type of interval work that should be limited. I hit my perceived "max" at a much lower rate doing step workouts or running, demonstrating that ones training zone varies by activity.

Thanks so much. I know I've strayed pretty far from the swimsuit question.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.