Think you know your Microsoft?

LauraMax

Cathlete
Well, so did I til I took this test. :eek: A few of us here experimented with it b/c we're considering using it as a weeding-out tool for the 400+ applicants we have for 2 jobs.

I'm thinking we shouldn't use it, b/c if it made me feel like a dummy I can only imagine how it'd make a potential job candidate feel! Can you say nervous breakdown?

Give it your best shot. Let us know how you do. For the record, I haven't taken the Powerpoint test yet, but I got a 4 out of 15 on Excel & a 6 out of 15 on Word. :confused:

http://www.ms-iq.com/

Wow- Laura, I've been tested many many times at Word, and have almost always achieved scores of 100%. I ROCK at Word. I scored 5 out of 15 on this test. I don't think this is a very accurate way of telling how well someone uses this program. As a matter of fact, I think someone might even have a cause for action if they were weeded out by the use of this test. I score just as high normally in Excel, but I refuse to take your test!

Wow, that was hard. I got 6 out of 15 for Word right. I am not putting myself through the other tests - it would be bad for my self esteem.

Last fall I had to take an Excel test and the only instructions were to input some data and revamp the spreadsheet. I revamped it well because I just got out of an advanced Excel college class. Since I applied for a part-time "lunch fill-in position" they congratulated me on the spreadsheet but said I am overqualified for that position and that I would be unhappy and bored if they'd hire me. They gave the job to an 69 year old retiree.

I have been a SAHM for the past 17 years. Nobody wants to hire me for entry level position (one guy said he cannot hire me for an entry level receptionist position because he would feel unconfortable telling me to clean up HIS spilled coffee) or an advanced position (lack of recent work experience). I am in school for a BS in Accounting with a Minor in Human Resources with a GPA of 4.0 and I only have 1.5 years left (part-time school because I do not want the debt and don't qualify for a grant) but I am considering not finishing because I don't see a chance of finding employment.

Katerchen - This is totally thread hijack, but I felt compelled to reply to your post!

I encourage you to get your undergrad degree. It really will be worthwhile. You will have a tougher time without it.

I was a SAHM for almost 13 years before going back into the workforce. I found that any job worth having (and some not) require at least a BA/BS and I am so glad I persevered and completed my undergrad degree while managing to have and raise my 2 children.

If you are persistent in looking for employment, one will come along.

I got 6/15 on word, 6/15 on Powerpoint (though I guessed on some), both of which I use daily. I've never used Excel, and basically guessed on everything... and got 6/15. :confused:

Scarey

4/15 for me too. And I'm the WORD Oracle - sharpshooter and all round genius ( :eek: )

I had this same (or similar) test @ an interview last year - I knew I did poorly but wasn't told the end score. I bet if they'd asked me: "Do this": on the PC though I'd have done it no probs.

Sorry that sounded conceited. Just not switched onto the Boffin-Speak that's what I meant.

Well, I don't think it's a good tool for "weeding out" applicants, since the questions seem to be based on you memorizing everything that should be on the screen. What's the point of that when you'll see them when you perform the steps. The programs are designed to help guide you through what you need to do and as long as you have an understanding of those steps, you can perform the job.

I'd look for a more fair test of people's abilities.

I don't know what kind of job vacancies you're looking to fill, but I don't think this is an accurate tool at all. I have been a legal assistant for over 20 years and lots of this stuff I don't even use. I was tested heavily when I tried to get a job almost 3 years ago when I moved and lots of this stuff wasn't on my tests. At practically every agency and job I went to I was tested for almost ninety minutes to two hours. I have always been great at Word and I only got 4 out of 15. I always got tested on mail merge and I've only used it about 2-3 times in my career. Same thing for text boxes. I used that even less than mail merge. Comment boxes are another question that's asked about which are rarely used. Taking tests and actually doing it on the job are two different things. At my previous job, which I had for over 18 years, they tried to use a similar test and I don't think they ever wound up using it.

Marcy

I know! Thank goodness it's not just me! Kim, I the Word queen too. It's my bread & butter.

I don't suppose anyone out there works for an employment agency? The positions are clerical/secretarial. I know agencies typically give office skills test (microsoft office, filing skills, etc. etc.). Naturally my boss doesn't want to pay for it, so I'm looking for a free resource. I'm afraid to call my contacts at local agencies b/c they'll probably pressure me to hire one of their candidates, & I highly doubt they'll be willing to give me their trade secrets for free. :p

Wow, that was hard. I got 6 out of 15 for Word right. I am not putting myself through the other tests - it would be bad for my self esteem.

Last fall I had to take an Excel test and the only instructions were to input some data and revamp the spreadsheet. I revamped it well because I just got out of an advanced Excel college class. Since I applied for a part-time "lunch fill-in position" they congratulated me on the spreadsheet but said I am overqualified for that position and that I would be unhappy and bored if they'd hire me. They gave the job to an 69 year old retiree.

I have been a SAHM for the past 17 years. Nobody wants to hire me for entry level position (one guy said he cannot hire me for an entry level receptionist position because he would feel unconfortable telling me to clean up HIS spilled coffee) or an advanced position (lack of recent work experience). I am in school for a BS in Accounting with a Minor in Human Resources with a GPA of 4.0 and I only have 1.5 years left (part-time school because I do not want the debt and don't qualify for a grant) but I am considering not finishing because I don't see a chance of finding employment.

I finished my undergraduate degree last year, and while I don't want to be discouraging, going for my degree certainly didn't make my life better! You're doing it right by not going into debt, though. My SO really encouraged me not to wait a year to earn residency and just take out a loan :mad:. I earned two degrees, one in Mathematics, one in Fine Arts. I'm applying for every job I can find (and most of them are VERY low pay, very entry level) and I can't even get a call-back, e-mail back, or any acknowledgment of my existence at all. I am now $30,000 in debt and unemployed. Every job requires 10 years of experience SPECIFIC to their field (even if it's just filing). How do you get experience if nobody will hire you? I'm experienced in many areas. Years of reception/human resource/filing work/front desk. Teaching experience. Years of tutoring. I'm qualified for the crappy jobs I'm applying for, but can't get a single break.

And this trend of employers treating you like a piece of $*%! is NOT working for me. I have to jump through hoops to make sure I do every part of the application process perfectly, but nobody can even reject me decently? So not ok.

Last edited:
I got 8 correct out of 15 on the Word test and I used to (10 years ago) train people to use Word.

Did you look at the test results achieved by other people? - no one got more than 12 right. I am not sure that this would be a good test for potential candidates. Better to have them sit down at a computer and create a document for you.

Thanks for sharing, I may try the others if I feel up to the challenge later!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.