The woman I saw who I never want to be!

I love this thread!!! Thanks for all of the useful info!!!

Both of my older daughters live in Manhattan right now. (I live on Staten Island). My middle daughter just started Columbia Law school (Nancy, that was for you - any good tips?) and I've always encouraged them to eat right, etc. I'll pass all of these tips about restaurants, etc. to them. I know my older daughter shops at Trader Joe's often but mostly depends on restaurants. They're into mostly healthy foods and exercise everyday. I've taught them well. They look great.

My question is.....as a Staten Islander can I join the Park Slope co-op. One poster mentioned having to live there and another mentioned a friend from Staten Island belonging there so I'm a little confused. I used to live in Park Slope but my parents moved us to SI when I was 10 years old. Does that count, lol???

Thanks again for this thread - it's great!!!!

Nancy

Nancy156,
I'm not sure how the Park Slope co-op works its membership, but my mother-in-law was a member for 30 years, and she lived in Crown Heights, and my step-daughter is also a member, and she lives in Bed-Stuy. These are both in Brooklyn, of course. If you go to www.foodcoop.com you can probably find out their rules for membership. One thing I know is that you have to work a couple of hours a month, and this gets you great prices. If I lived in NYC, I would definitely belong to this co-op.
Manmohini

Thanks, Manmohini!!!

I think I'd love to work it for a couple of hours a month. Thanks for the info. I'll look it up right now!!

Thanks for your articulate and informative posts too!!

Nancy

I'm not so sure that we "develop" taste for junk per se ... I feel that there are specific, deliberate chemicals and ingredients put in the junk food so that we get addicted to it. Just like cigarettes ... it's all very well-intended by corporations, in my opinion. What further makes me feel this way is the times in my life when I have gone "cold-turkey" on refined sugars, and basically go through the withdrawals, and then get off sugar ... and then, I eat a piece of birthday cake and I LITERALLY spit it out! I'm like "What on EARTH is this? And why does it taste so AWFUL??!!"

So maybe we develope a taste for junk ... but it really doesn't taste good at all. I think it's engineered to be addictive.

Manmohini:

I currently live in the BOston area ... and even being right next door to Harvard university, there is ONE veggie restuarant in all of Harvard Sq!

Also, I also have not taken western drugs (prescription or over-the-counter) in about 5 years. And while my healthcare is 100% alternative, I do see a western doctor once a year for a check-up, blood tests, etc., so that I can get a profile of the science that is going on in my body, as this helps the alternative practioners to get at the energetic and holistic causes for why my body is behaving the way it is scientifically. And then alterntative addresses the causes. But like you, if I get hit by a bus, I am going straight to the emergency room! Western medical science is very useful for trauma that require acute technology. But as far as keeping you healthy, or making you better when you get sick ... well, in my opinion and experience, that is not exactly the forte of western medical science.

"While I understand the sentiment of this post, this is just a slipperly slope of a generalization to be posting in the first place. I know some things just aren't going to come across pretty (read non judgmental) no matter how hard you try."

I disagree....I think this post is very useful and informative. We can't always try to be so PC all the time. Spirited discussion on a REAL issue in America is useful. And if we have to make generalizations to get the point across, what harm is done so long as all agree that we are making generalizations about the "average american." I think to get caught up in the judgemental/non-judgemental end of things is missing the point of the major theme of this topic of discussion.

The longer we all try to tip-toe around this topic, the less of a chance we have to change things. The more we can talk about it, without fear or concern of being called out for being judgemental, the more information can be shared and the better chance we have of being proponents of change in society...starting with getting these very real junk-food vending machines out of schools!

Being a teacher myself, I CRINGE when I see other teachers give out candy for rewards! Again, I'm thinking "Is this the 70s?" Perhaps back then it did not do as much harm because we did not have the health or weight issues in society we do now. But in my opinion, how is giving my student chemically manufactured toxins that they will be addicted to a reward?

I too have lived all over the US. I would agree that coastal Cali and NYC are probably the 2 places with the most healthy choices ... I also lived and traveled down South for quite some time as well. I agree in general that the South does not have the healthiest choices, but I think it depends on where you are. For example, I once lived in Asheville, NC, which is a very alternative, spiritual town, with community living, lots of alternative medicine, energy healing, etc. And we had a WONDERFUL organic market called Earthfare, which I know are in other parts of the country as well. (they have a website). And as far as I know, Whole Foods has thankfully not yet shown up in Asheville...and hopefully it never will either! There are parts of Nashville, TN that are also somewhat progressive as well.

Nancy,

My friend who lived in SI was a Park Slop co-op member. She was living in SI at the time. But, she used to live in Bensonhurst before moving to SI, and was a member back in Bensonhurt. But even though she used to live in BK, it was never Park Slope. So I don't think you need to literally live in Park Slope to be a member. In fact, when I lived in NYC about 4 years ago, you definitely did not have to live in Park Slope, because I myself went to an orientation and was completely eligible to join, even though I lived in Bensonhurst. But I never joined cuz I just shopped with my SI friend off of her membership. Also, don't know if the rules have changed, but as of 4 yrs ago, you had to work 4 hrs a month.

Thanks for the info, girls!!!

B & G, I have to go check it out. I googled it and found out more information and I'm sure you're right. I don't believe I have to live in Brooklyn. There were some good things written about how it runs and some negative things also. My only real problem is I'd have to drive to it - public transportation on SI is a nightmare - so I'd actually have to travel into Manhattan and then subway into Brooklyn (you get the picture), and I know for a fact that parking is a nightmare in that area. I'll probably get DH to drive me over at some time to have a look.

I think I might enjoy working in the co-op for four hours a month. I guess the idea being (for me, anyway) work, shop, go back next month.

Have a great night!

Nancy

Nancy,

Yep ... my SI friend would ferry into Manhattan, then take the subway to Park Slope! As we've been saying, those are the lengths people will go through to shop there!

In terms of bad things about joining, they can sometimes get a little "harrass"ish on you. With my friend, she had ended her membership because she did not have the time to put in her 4 hrs each month, and they just kept bugging her, sending her letters in the mail, etc. It was like they were stalking her to come back and be a member again. Also, there may be problems with scheduling your work time as well.

In terms of parking ... on a couple of occasions, I drove there with her, and we'd usually get a street space about 2-3 blocks west of 7th ave. Or you can always opt to find a street space in maybe an easier-to-park area like Sunset Park or something ... and then hop on the subway for the rest of the ride, something like that. I know, it's such a hassle if you don't live close, guess that's why the other woman's brother moved to Park Slope to join!

> Western medical science is very useful for
>trauma that require acute technology. But as far as keeping
>you healthy, or making you better when you get sick ... well,
>in my opinion and experience, that is not exactly the forte of
>western medical science.

I agree completely, on both counts.

Allopathic medicine served me well when I sat on a pencil and had it jam into my leg (yeah, that happened), and when I needed (but didn't really want) prednisone for a poison ivy reaction, but otherwise I stick with a healthy lifestyle, acupuncture, and chiropractic. I do wish there were a naturopathic physician close by, but my allopathic doc (whom I see once a year for check-ups) is into prevention and listens to what I want (as in no unecessary drugs). I don't even take asprin or ibuprofen. There is no drug without a side-effect (a rather gentle-sounding term for 'bad things the drug does to you') and I'm for dealing with root causes rather than just quieting symptoms.

<My husband and I have taught vegetarian cooking classes, and people often express to us that eating nothing but vegetables and grains seems like deprivation.>
For many of us who are not vegetarians and do not intend to be (no offense intended to others) this is indeed a daunting prospect. People forget that it doesn't have to be all or nothing. In my household delicious vegan and vegetarian meals are commonplace but not the rule.

The example of the snack selection at the movie theatre is illustrative of the obstacles we face in trying to make healthy choices. Start asking questions and making requests and you will see many a flummoxed waiter and counter person blankly starring back at you.

"Start asking questions and making requests and you will see many a flummoxed waiter and counter person blankly starring back at you."

Totally! Or how about this one...one time I was asking a waiter details about how much mozerella was on something (i.e., the more cheese, the more calories!), and also the kinds of bread I could choose from and how big the bread was (i.e., more calories and refined sugars) and then of course, the usual request for dressing on the side, etc.

Well! Not only did the waitress look boggled, but my friend had the nerve to make fun of me once the waitress walked away! WELL, EXCUSE me for being healthy! Excuse me for exercising control over what I put into my body!

Also, I can't stand it either when bartenders and friends look at you befuddled and confused when you order water at a bar! First of all, excuse me for choosing not to deaden and dehydrate my body with alchohol! Excuse me for choosing to get up at 6am the next morning for exercise and yoga, vs. being hungover in bed till 2pm! And if that weren't enough, the real kicker is when I order water at restaurants....people think "Oh, are you THAT cheap that you can't AT LEAST order a soda if you don't want alcohol?" Well, NO, I'm sory, I DON'T DRINK SODA! Nor do I drink fruit juices loaded with sugar and calories...and sorry, don't drink cow's milk either...so what do you want me to do, eat my dinner dry??!!! Sorry, it's just SO aggravating!!!!! And theater snack selections...fuggedahboudit!!!!

Kathryn,

I've not taken aspirin in about 5 years. And I never get headaches! On the rare occasion that I do ... I take a nap! Headache is gone as soon as I wake up ... talk about a cure!

And in reality, aspirin actually causes headaches, as it works on the liver, and the liver is the energetic origin of headaches.

Also, when I worked for a drug company that I don't think I can pubicly name because of what I am about to say, we had SEVERAL incidences of people literally dropping dead on the floor after taking their very FIRST dose of one of our meds! DROPPING DEAD! I don't know about you, but I can't remember the last time I heard of anyone dropping dead by taking a nap to get rid of a headache!

And while we had these deaths, the drug stayed on the market, and was covered by adding into all the fine-print blurbs about the drug that "in rare instances, death occurred."

I recall approaching the bar with a very pregnant friend and both of us ordered water. He called us cheapos, looking directly at her and her nine month belly.

I also feel sorry for my SO who doesn't drink but does like his glass of milk with dinner. The wait staff often chuckle at him or they tell him they don't have milk which is always interesting since the last vegan joint we hit was a few years ago in Woodstock.

I also know about family members and friend laughing at us picky arses who like things a certain way. I feel your pain B&G!

>I never get
>headaches! On the rare occasion that I do ... I take a nap!
>Headache is gone as soon as I wake up ... talk about a cure!

I'm also a firm believer in the 'nap-away-your-headache' cure!
If that fails, sometimes a chiropractic adjustment will do the trick.

>And while we had these deaths, the drug stayed on the market,
>and was covered by adding into all the fine-print blurbs about
>the drug that "in rare instances, death occurred."

Those barely legible fine-print warnings (that take up 2-3 pages in some magazines) should be enough to keep people far away from most prescription (or even non-prescription) drugs, wouldn't you think? Especially those that aren't needed.

I've heard of drug companies keeping drugs on the market that have serious or even fatal "side effects," hoping that they can make enough profit from sales in the meantime to outweigh any payments they might be forced to make to compensate for the injury done by their product. Very scary. And the FDA isn't out to protect the consumers anymore, if it ever was.

I haven't read through the whole thread - I have jury duty (ugh) along with all the after school activities this week - talk about a scheduling nightmare!

Here's my beef lately: Correct me if I'm wrong - but don't our taxes pay for the school lunch programs? So, if that is true, I am paying for kids to have free breakfast and lunch at my school (2 of 3 meals mind you ) then my taxes will help pay for the medicaid they need for all the health problems they have from eating this crap!

At my daughter's elementary school , they started last year having little 'breakfast carts' that go to the classroom to provide breakfast instead of going to the cafeteria. This change has required easier to handle foods. Before cereal was available, now every day is sausage biscuit, honeybuns, processed muffins, some kind of corn dog concoction made with sausage, poptarts, etc. Last year her K teacher told me her cholesterol had shot up and the only difference was she started eating with the kids in the morning!

And then you turn on the news and they talk about the obesity epidemic and how fat and out of shape kids are - how much it is going to cost the govt. in healthcare costs - yet they continue to eliminate PE, recess and feed the kids this crap!! Man, gets me sooo mad!

Even when they try to provide something healthy, it somehow gets messed up. The apples always have rotten spots, the grapes are not picked over and old ones are included, etc.

Today I had lunch with my daughter (court room recess, yay!) One of the head lunch ladies came up and told me she noticed that my dd always likes to bring a sack lunch and she decided that should be an option for the kids. She went before the "board" (or something) and there will soon be sack lunches available to the kids. I really appreciated her noticing, but dd will probably still bring her lunch, since the school's will consist of ham and cheese on white bread, bologna, etc. (the lunch lady told me this).

Marnie

What's wrong with aspirin? I always try a nap for a headache, too (when I can). I use to love ibuprofen for everything, but as that was in the news not too long ago, I give consideration to ALL medicines - but I thought aspirin was the "wonder drug" and was considering it since heart disease is a problem in my family.

I have ordered "Overdosed America" at the library (I think that is the title). I am looking forward to reading it - sure is taking a long time to get to my library (could have really used it this week while waiting in court!) Marnie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.