The Weight Training Blahs :(

sparrow13

Cathlete
I have 'em. I'm on the tail of a 12 week P90x Plus rotation and I'm just not there mentally, and really haven't been the entire rotation (though I'm having good results).

It's not that I dislike the workouts themselves, it's that I just don't feel like taking the time to do them. The summer is busy in a good way and so I find myself just wanting to jump out of bed and get on with the day. Exercise normally is a part of that day but lately it seems like a barrier to my day, if that makes any sense. Like I want to get going but first I have to do this workout thing and them my day can happen. Not sure if I am making any sense but it's a bummer. I hate feeling grumpy first thing!

Anyone else know what I am talking about?

Sparrow

Been there, done that, but usually for just a day or two. Can you put a couple rest days in your rotation? Do you have a rest week scheduled at the end of your rotation that you can look forward too? Or maybe you can do the workout at a different time of the day - later in the morning, or in the evening. Good luck.

Sorry you are feeling this way Sparrow. Perhaps all you need is a change of pace. Your rotation is probably ending just in time for you to get happy about weight work again. Choose a different weight training series and perhaps your excitement will be re-newed! I haven't use the X+ series in a full rotation yet but I DID go through one entire 3 month rotation with the original X. I enjoyed the work outs and got great results but by the last phase I couldn't wait for it to be over. For me, 3 months doing the same rotation (ANY rotation) is a LONG time. That being said, I am super excited for STS but it's going to take ALOT of dedication for me to get through an entire rotation.

whenever i feel this way it means i need a break from working out. so i would suggest taking a week off from everything! then start with a new rotation the following week that is completely different from p90x. I think this will remotivate you and you will come back strong and well rested.

Oh my yes! That's your body making your brain tell you it's time for a rest week. I know it's hard to break a rotation, but you'll feel much better, recharged & mentally ready, when you come back.

I *so* know what you mean. I have a 7 year old and the summer is when I get to spend the most quality time with her. We literally go all day. It is so hard to wait to get the day started until I get the workout "out of the way"--and that is literally how it feels-- that s, that I am just "getting it out of the way" rather than being really excited about it, etc. If I had boundless energy I would get up early or stay up late to exercise, but I literally have nothing left when I put her to bed at night. There is no energy left for a workout. Plus, I am NOT a morning person and I have to drag myself out of bed at the time my daughter gets up. I just see this as something I have to deal with for teh rest of the summer and if I miss a workout here or there because I am doing things with her, I know I will never regret it later in life. I am not going to slide backwards, but I know there are times when I am just not giving it my all. And I guess that's ok :)

Karen

I order you to take a week off! :D

I've noticed my workout schedule has "seasons." Sometimes I'm really on target, fully of energy and totally gung-ho. Then there are times when I need to slow down. I think that's normal.

You know, Wendy, I only made it through about 8 weeks of P90X for all of the reasons you mentinoed... I couldn't wait for it to be over.

I think the STS series will avoid that since you aren't doing the same workout each time; there are thirty-howevermany instead of P90X' 12 workouts. And, LOL, we're pretty comfortable with Cathe's chatter! ;)

As for you, Sparrow, I have definately felt that way in the past. I started branching out to see how different instructors do things, and will even pull out my Last Remaining Firm Workout (the one I started with oh so many years ago!) if I want to feel good about myself. :+ (Whatever it takes, girl!)

Hugs,

I did feel that way midway through my weight work this morning. I ended up doing most of my work on the machines for a change of pace and I felt like I finally got through. In your case Sparrow, you might need to change up to something unique for a little bit, or take a rest week and do a few seaside margarita curls. :9

Frankly, how did you last that long? I swear I have exercise ADD!:)

I get bored with the same old thing. Try working out later in the day? Or try something new like the kettleballs? Add some yoga or something you can do outside? Or just take the week off!:p

I felt this way lately with Cathe workouts and actually went back to some of my old Tae-bo workouts which I have not done for almost two years. As much as I love Cathe and her workouts and her cuing and I could go on and on....I realized I needed a new instructor for a while. I have had so much fun doing Tae-Bo again that I am glad I took a break. I am still doing Cathe's weight workouts just shorter premixes. I agree with everyone else and think that maybe a rest week and then switching the type of workouts you do may help. Remember, just have fun!

I'm there with you. I've had so much going on and then I got the stomache flu and now a sinus infection. I've just been taking it easy. But my eating is really bad right now. I still have my daughters left over b-day cake it is sitting over there calling my name. I'm expecting new workouts in the mail today so maybe that will get me excited to workout.

Farrah

I am finishing up a 6 week rotation of Muscle Max and the Gym Styles. My body must be telling my brain, "What, we have to do this again next week???" Yep, I am getting tired. But I have only one more week, then I am resting up for the next rotation. I think I will do the 4-day Split next, but only after I am good and rested.

Hope you get some rest. You will probably be chomping at the bit to jump into a new rotation afterwards.:)

Sandra

Thanks everyone, for the words of encouragement! Normally I can tell when I am burned but with this I thought, it's only 12 weeks, and normally I like long rotations, because of the convenience. BUT, thinking back, it's a lot longer than that because just before beginning P90x Plus I'd finished up a long P90x rotation, with only a couple days break in-between. So there you go. I'm burned on Tony. I've only got next week left, so I'll finish up and then maybe take a whole week off. Woo! :p

Thanks again, all. Now did someone say "margaritas?"

Sparrow

"The winds of grace are always blowing but it's you who must raise your sail." - Sri Ramakrishna

Good for you - I finally did that a couple of months ago. It was funny cuz DH and DS thought I was sick or something.

Instead of hitting the workout room after work I put on my loungewear and played computer, watched TV or read books. Finally they asked what was wrong.

It was a nice break and didn't affect my body at all other than I was more energized.

Now if I have things "I'd rather do" then I'll take the entire weekend off or a day during the week and my weekend day.

Enjoy your rest week !

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.