The Vegan Bake Sale? Need Opinions.

LaughingWater

Cathlete
Everyone's thoughts are welcome!

I have the opportunity to participate in a Holiday Craft Fair (representing our local Homeschooling group), and I'm considering offering a table of baked goods that are vegan friendly. Here's my question:

1) Do you think people who aren't into the veg thing will be turned off and simply pass me up? I ask because I've had family members literally freeze, hand hovering over a plate of something, when they heard the dish was vegan (as if I've added some extra evil ingredient). :rolleyes: My thought is to provide samples so people can test the cookies and breads out for themselves. On the other hand, I'm opening myself up for rude comments like, "Oh, I can tell something's missing! Ick!"

2) What about passing up the word "vegan" and instead advertising as "Egg and Dairy Free"? I hate to do that, but based on past reactions, I'm betting more people would be open to trying my goods only because the words seem less threatening and weird than...*cue Psycho music*..."Vegan". :eek: It sounds more like a dietary or allergy thing and less like a political statement.

3) My third option is to offer up the Vegan Bake Table for free. There's an organization that will actually reimburse you provided you register with them and put their pamphlets out on your table (it's an outreach thing). I really like that idea. I had planned to donate our profits to a local rescue, but seeing as how I might not make a cent in Options 1 and 2 :eek:, maybe just treating this as a friendly awareness campaign is a better way to go. Who, except for some of my dopey family members, turns down free cookies?

What do you guys think? If you saw a Vegan Bake Table at your local craft fair, would you stop and try a sample? Would the word "Free" encourage you even more? Or would you just keep on walkin', fearful that I put Tofu in the chocolate chip cookies?

Thanks. And Happy Friday!

Lori - What's the customer base likely to be? I know in some areas around here stuff that's vegan, gluten free, etc is just as likely to get snatched up as other stuff. I do know what you're talking about though...some folks think if it's labeled vegan, it must be health food and not taste as good.

You could leave the "vegan/egg & dairy free" labels off but have a label or tri-fold that lists the ingredients. Those who are concerned about buying vegan are likely to check that kind of thing out. Just a thought...

Just my thoughts:
As someone who is not vegan and never will be, but will unabashedly enjoy vegan food (especially when someone cooks it for me), I tend to not terribly appreciate the political statements and brochures. You might get to people by offering "heart healthy" or "environmentally friendly" desserts (or whatever appropriate buzzwords). When people start chewing and asking question you could always tell them the desserts do not contain eggs or dairy. Then you've got 'em hooked ;) Like Gayle said, it really depends on the audience. it could be vegan with a vengeance or cantankerous carnivore. lol!

Last edited:
Gayle, the market will be the most vegan-friendly in our area, which gives me a glimmer of hope.

Beavs, that's a good point about brochures. I certainly don't want to turn anyone off or make anyone feel defensive. I want this to be a positive experience for everyone.

Heh. I was emailing my brother about this, and it occurred to me that I could call my spot the Agnostic Buddhist Homeschooling Vegan Bake Table. :eek: My husband's reply: "You are really getting fringy." :p

Heh. I was emailing my brother about this, and it occurred to me that I could call my spot the Agnostic Buddhist Homeschooling Vegan Bake Table. :eek: My husband's reply: "You are really getting fringy." :p

Cover the booth in tie dye and I will be there ;)

Gayle, the market will be the most vegan-friendly in our area, which gives me a glimmer of hope.

Beavs, that's a good point about brochures. I certainly don't want to turn anyone off or make anyone feel defensive. I want this to be a positive experience for everyone.

I didn't realize you home-schooled! That's awesome. My sis does and I always tell her I'm coming down for lessons. Seems like so much fun!

Could you offer free samples - just a taste - so folks can see that vegan tastes fine, and then sell the larger items?

3) My third option is to offer up the Vegan Bake Table for free. There's an organization that will actually reimburse you provided you register with them and put their pamphlets out on your table (it's an outreach thing). I really like that idea. I had planned to donate our profits to a local rescue, but seeing as how I might not make a cent in Options 1 and 2 :eek:, maybe just treating this as a friendly awareness campaign is a better way to go. Who, except for some of my dopey family members, turns down free cookies?

What do you guys think? If you saw a Vegan Bake Table at your local craft fair, would you stop and try a sample? Would the word "Free" encourage you even more? Or would you just keep on walkin', fearful that I put Tofu in the chocolate chip cookies?

Thanks. And Happy Friday!

I'm probably in the minority but I do like option 3. The pamphlets will just be laying there (I'm assuming) so folks can choose to ignore them but there may be some folks that are genuinely interested in knowing where our food comes from. You have the chance to possibly open someone's eyes regarding the cruelties of the farming industry.

Or if you don't want #3 how about marketing them as cruelty free baked goods.

I would vote for "egg and dairy free" rather than "cruelty free". The latter designation probably wouldn't go down too well with the egg and dairy bakers.

The idea of free samples sounds good so people can find out how good vegan can be. Unfortunately, my friends would probably even skip the free samples.

If you opt for the tie-dye tablecloth, be sure to dust off the Birkenstocks.

2) What about passing up the word "vegan" and instead advertising as "Egg and Dairy Free"? I hate to do that, but based on past reactions, I'm betting more people would be open to trying my goods only because the words seem less threatening and weird than...*cue Psycho music*..."Vegan". :eek: It sounds more like a dietary or allergy thing and less like a political statement.
I'd go with this option, if your audience is just 'regular folk." Otherwise, as you suggest, some people just automatically turn off when they hear the word "vegan".

(And *I'D" definitely try some of your vegan treats! ;))

"Agnostic Buddhist Homeschooling Vegan Bake Table"?? I would be all over that like anti-fur PETA protesters on Anna Wintour!

I'd say put up a little sign that sez "vegan." Put out some obviously, irresistably delicious vegan goodies where people can't miss them. Wait until they've sunk their teeth into the best cupcake they've ever eaten and then say, "Oh, by the way, those are vegan! Isn't it amazing?"

I'd agree that brochures are more likely to be greeted with suspicion than baked goods. I bring baked goods to all kinds of events and although people were leery at first, I now get requests for specific things for birthdays and meetings and whatnot. A cupcake is worth a thousand brochures.

:p

Or you could be like the "pimp" woman on "HUNG" who makes "lyric bread": put the AR messages on paper that's been laminiated and baked inside, LOL!

:D

Great thoughts and suggestions. It's good to hear differing viewpoints because I know a lot of this stuff either won't occur to me or will cross my mind when it's too late. Keep them coming!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.