the pill at 36???

kandeycane

Cathlete
[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Aug-11-02 AT 12:58PM (Est)[/font][p]hi everyone

i always value the feedback i get here so here goes.. I am 36 and go to my ob/gyn regularly. My Dr allowed me to remain on the pill this yr when i turned 36 and i smoke.. I KNOW I KNOW .. i need to quit.. but i only smoke maybe 3-5 cigs daily.. Please, don't turn this into (you outta quit smoking.). cuz i know i should.. but thats another story.. my main question is : What is a good birth control method besides the pill? i have no kids and at this point i doubt i will have any.. but who knows.. my husband and i aren't ready at this time and we all know the clock is ticking so probably not having any.. I just want to know what birth control methods any of you use over 35 (besides the pill).. and would a tubal ligation be wise???? Are they successful?In a nutshell.. i am scared of bloodclots in the legs and other health risks due to the pill and being a *smoker* over 35!! Anyone want to chime in i would soooo appreciate it.

thanks in advance .. if anyone answers! :)

I am on Depo-Provera. I like it cuz I couldn't stand having to take a pill every day. Plus, you don't have any periods eventually and that is AWESOME. Some people are really afraid of this, but it really is harmless. My doc says that it will not make you infertile. The only drawback is it takes your body a longer time I think to adjust after you stop taking it. I went off of it for about 6 mos. a few years ago, and lets just say it was not pretty. Depo is definitly more for the long term. Eventually I got back on it, because I couldn't stand the unpredictable spotting. I think it does put a little weight on you...as I cannot seem to get back to my pre Depo weight no matter how much I exercise. But it is moderate. I think you gain some weight on the pill anyway.

Jeez, especially for you, if you do not plan to have any kids, you could just stay on it until you become menopausal and you will never have a period again. I guess I cannot say that with absolute certainty, since everyone is different, but usually after a year of being on depo, you NEVER bleed. I love it when my friends complain about their periods and they are on the Pill, I think it would be so much easier if they were on DEPO. You might want to research it a bit, or ask your doctor. I like it, for now.... Good Luck!!

Oh yeah....and it is a chemical similar to the hormone Progestin. The pill is a combo between estrogen and progestin. I believe that is the only chemical difference.

hey there naughtoj!

thanks for the response.. i have to be honest.. the weight gain part of the depo has always made me shy away from it.. but you did say moderate.. the thing is .. i can't afford any weight gain.. :)
well . i would just rather none at all..maybe i can read up on it and see what there is to find out . .thanks a bunch..

I had my babies at 35 yrs and 37 yrs, and for a long time used the Copper-T IUD both before and after my sons. I loved it. Never even thought about it except when I removed it to conceive. I don't know if it is still in use since I am now in my 50s.

When considering the choices between tubal ligation and vasectomy, my OB/GYN recommended the vasectomy for my husband much more than the tubal ligation for me. The risks are higher for a tubal ligation. I have no statistics, but some of the risks include more painful periods and excessive bleeding during periods.

There is a lot of info on the web regarding sterilization for birth control.

Good Luck!

Susan G.

Another vote for IUDs here. From what I've read they're the safest, most effective method for monogamous women with children. I don't know about women without children, you might have a greater chance of unknowingly expelling it and there goes your effectiveness.

I'm scared of the Depo myself, thinking that once they give you that shot, it's in your system and you can't get it out. Also, I know of one person who did experience a large weight gain within 6 weeks of her shot, much to the shock of herself and her doctor. Good luck with your research. --Karen

Another vote for an IUD

I have a ten-year IUD but I forgot what it's called. I have had it since 1996. I got mine through Kaiser, a large HMO system here in California and other states. I have had one child (he's ten) but there has been no expulsion. Talk about worry-free.

I'm 43 now so I guess that I'll replace it at 47 just to be on the safe side till I'm 57. I hope I don't have to replace it again then! LOL

-Connie

I'm in the same predicament. I quit Depo because I was either bloated or bleeding, it made my hair stop growing, and supposedly it decreases your bone density. I'm looking for a permanent solution, and I think I found it, but it won't be FDA approved until next year. It's a non-surgical sterilization where they insert a spring into your fallopian tubes and your body tissue grows around it. I can't quite remember what it's called, I think it was the "assure system" but I did a search and couldn't find it. Anyway, it's already being used in Europe and the women are having no problems with it. I'm going to tell my gyno to put me on the list as soon as it's approved!

well from the look of things.. i will talk to my Dr regarding the IUD.. at least get some info on it.. and i will research online as well.. thanks to all who answered :)

One more vote for the IUD. I'm 37 and had the paraguard copper IUD (good for 10 years) inserted eight months ago, after suffering years of problems with hormonal birth control. Words cannot express how glad I am to have found a non-hormonal source of convenient birth control!! I've never had children, so they say the expulsion rate is slightly higher for me, but they also say that usually occurs within the first three months (so, so far so good!). The only downsides I've experienced are that the actual insertion process was no picnic and I felt crummy for a week or two afterwards. My periods are heavier and way more crampy than they used to be, but things have adjusted over the last 8 months and these only seem like minor inconveniences now.

I wish I had done this *years* ago!

Sandie

I had a tubal at 35 and have no regrets. My husband REFUSED a vasectomy. I knew I didn't want more children. I also knew a few other gals that had done it. None had regrets. It is easier for a man, but not all men will do it. You will be sore the first few days, partly from the gas they use to blow you up for surgery. I have one small incision scar in my belly button. My periods are still every 2l days and no heavier than before. Just be SURE you don't want children before having this surgery done.
My x sis-in-law used Depro and gained weight. She didn't get another shot & went back to the pill.
Talk w/ your obgyn. He/she can give you all the pro and cons of available methods. The diaphram was inconvienant for me but works for others. I was told an IUD can move & pregnancy was a possibility. Not one I wanted to take. Its your decision but fortunately you have a few to chose from.

Try the diaphram (sp?) if the pro's and con's as follows appeal to you. I have used it for 20 years and am happy with it. If you don't want to add any hormones to your body (pill made me gain weight and sleep more)and you want something that doesn't sterilize you (you probably have 5 years or so left of fertility, seems crazy to cut off options if you're not 100% sure), those are the pro's. Plus it is very effective IF you use it every time. The con's are that it is (obviously) not effective if you leave it in the drawer some times. And it's not very spontaneous. At age 40 with 2 little ones and both working, spontaneous and sex are not spoken in the same sentence in my house so that it not an issue. -that looks sad, but really it's not...we just have to schedule it, and we do! ;)
BTW, my first child (which we adore) is the product of a broken condom (for a period when he was taking on the b.c. burden). So I don't recommend that one! I went back to diaphram and no troubles.

wow .. i guess i do have alot the think about.. i will certainly talk to him again about it.. my dr).. and see what he says.. he thinks i am fine ilke i am till i turn 37 and we will decide then .. but i am still kinda scared . anyway.. hugs to all of u for taking the time to answer and talk to me about this.. keep it coming ;) hugs to yall ..

I had a tubal done at 35 and regret it, not because I want more kids but it really messed my cycle up. Now it's unpredictable and I get horrible cramps and bloating. I liked being regulated on the pill. I asked the gyn about my messed up cycles thinking it might be menopause which I was assured it's not.

Meredith

The diaphram in the drawer made me laugh. Thats how I got pregnant with my daughter. It was Valentine's Day...

I'm almost 43, and still on the pill. I had a tubal ligation done at 35, but my periods got to be very heavy and long, and the doctor put me back on the pill. Then I had endometrial ablation (removes the uterine lining, pretty much), and the periods are better, but when I went off the pill again, I was miserably bloated, sweating, irritable etc. I'm on the pill until someones rips them away from me! (I do not smoke, though.....)

Sandi M

I'm almost 43, and still on the pill. I had a tubal ligation done at 35, but my periods got to be very heavy and long, and the doctor put me back on the pill. Then I had endometrial ablation (removes the uterine lining, pretty much), and the periods are better, but when I went off the pill again, I was miserably bloated, sweating, irritable etc. I'm on the pill until someones rips them away from me! (I do not smoke, though.....)

Sandi M

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.