The pain in my butt

TG007

Cathlete
Hi Cathe and all the cathetes,

This past few months I have this soreness deep inside where the thighs and the butt meet.

Now I know what "the pain in the butt" really means.

I normally don't feel it unless I bend down with my butt sticking out like doing a stretch. I feel it a lot more when I do hamstring stretch (one leg and both legs). I also feel it more right after I wake up and when I'm getting up (at that time I'd do hamstring stretch in hope it'd go away)

I assume it's because I haven't been stretching enough. So I am now doing a lot more hamstring stretch and other leg stretching.

I'm I understanding it correctly? And am I heading the right direction? Any advice or suggestions?

Thank you!
TG

So glad to read this post. Even more if someone can give an answer.

I'm 52, no weight issue and workout quite frequently. I do cardio, weights (STS) and yoga. I do a light stretching after warming up and I do stretching after my workouts (except yoga, hehe).

I feel my hamstrings are almost always sore or tender. If I do regular chores, like gardening, where I bend a lot, I always have a sore butt after. You'd think that exercising would help me and save me those aches. I don't feel sore anywhere else, even after an afternoon of digging and lugging a full wheelbarrow.

I can't figure it out!

I have this exact same thing and I have been in physical therapy for it. And what I hate to tell you is that the one thing we want to do to fix it, stretch, is probably what made it hurt in the first place. For me it's that I have a flexible hamstring as most women do and at some point I got a little over-zealous in my yoga practice but didn't realize it until months down the road when the pain reared it's ugly head.

So I self treated by doing more hamstring stretches until finally the pain set in and i went to the doc. Sure enough, the physical therapist then said I needed to back off the hamstrings because they need to heal and no amount of stretching will help when they just need to rest. And this last fact has been the hardest to accept because I hate going a day without some physical activity. I also read a good article here http://www.yogajournal.com/practice/1391 that really described my pain and my cause of it.

Don't know if this helps, but I recommend going to a doctor to find out for certain. Because there is nothing worse than injuring a hamstring since the treatment is to sit on your butt and not stress it.

Shelby

My original diagnosis was that my sciatic nerve was being compressed/trapped by my piriformis muscle. And while I think that diagnosis was true as well, as time and physical therapy wore on that pain decreased and this other pain a little lower down became more prominent. I guess I just got lucky to get two pains in the butt! It's an odd area to work on and diagnose I think. What's the doc supposed to do when all you can do is point at your butt cheek and say "It hurts here!!!"

Shelby

Thank you very much!!!!

Now that I think about it my soreness increased after I stretch more. At first it was just there and I could only feel it when I do those stretches. Now it's more pain.

I'm going to go see the doctor soon. I wonder if I should give it a month and try to not stretch that area.

But I still can do regular workouts, right? I'm on my 4th week of STS 2.

You'll want to lay off a.nything that stretches the hamstrings. So no lunges, don't go deep into deadlifts, that sort of thing Quadricep work is still ok. Just be gentle and remember that it might not hurt when the muscles are warm, but you'll likely pay for it later when they cool off. I've just started meso 3 and the only things I have to limit are in the leg workouts and my deadlifts.

Shelby

ETA: If you have an ice pack sit on it a few times during the day. Using heat before your workouts to help warm up the area is good and then ice it when you're done. My personal favorite is using an icy/hot type product with my ice pack.

Just to be sure, hula_girl, no deep dead lifts, no lunges. What else? Can you give me details of what not to do? Are leg presses ok? Leg presses are my favorite.

Today I started my leg workout on week 4 of Meso 2 and decided to not do anything until I'm sure. (or we call it "lazy" !!!!)

I'm not a doctor by any means but I would say probably no on leg presses unless you can go light and not deep. I was told to concentrate more on floor work with leg weights so i can isolate the hamstring to a point of not using it. like some of the exercises during the leg bonuses in meso 1. if you feel like your working your hamstring in any exercise though, then it'd be best to cease and desist.

When my pain was at it's worst I didn't do any leg work. My physical therapist told me to not even go on walks. I could hardly even do my most basic hula moves, and those are basically just taking a couple of steps sideways. It was excruciating mentally not being able to do my workouts (kickboxing is my favorite and I couldn't do it!!!) but even though it absolutely sucks, it's best to do nothing and let it heal.

Good luck, and hopefully your doc will have you on the road to recovery in no time!

Shelby

Thank you! The advice from your painful experience is good enough for me :) Too bad leg presses is not part of something I can do.

At least I still can work my upper body. May be I'll go swimming (is that going to hurt my hamstring?)

I have an appointment with my doctor tomorrow. I've been going back and forth about going and not going (wanting to wait another month to see if it's going to improve).

Anyway, I've been very careful not to stretch the pesky hamstrings at all untill I get to see the doctor.

Unfortunately, swimming is a no as well. I thought that would be perfect too because there is no impact. But you are doing any sort of a swimmer's stroke with kicks, it's your hamstrings that power that.

Shelby

Update :)

Just like what you said! I was diagnosed with "strain to hamstring muscles" and was ordered to take 2 - 3 ibuprofen 3 times a day for 2 weeks.

Good thing I just finished my 4th week of meso 2. I think I'll take the whole 2 weeks off. Or just do upper body next week.

Thanks for all the support,
TG

I was told I had a pulled hami they actually thought it was torn the pain was so bad. I also had a SI injection. It is so hard to take a break but it is the best thing you can do! I still have problems with it and it has been over 6 months. Best advice take advil before working out and stretch!!!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.