The Low Intensity Experiment: Preliminary Results (Longish)

You hit my nail on the head

Afreet, that is me 100%. I've asked myself while doing STS, OK, so how heavy am I supposed to lift? I can lift pretty heavy and I wonder how much more do I need to increase? I'm not going for any competitions nor am I wanting the body building physique. And I don't lose any fat whatsoever. I start STS Meso 3 today and will finish this rotation and then I want to do what you're doing. Because, for one, I don't think I eat enough and so this would fit in with a less strenuous workout routine. What's the best high rep low weight workout DVDs? Who do you use for power yoga and what exactly is "power" yoga?

Afreet, that is me 100%. I've asked myself while doing STS, OK, so how heavy am I supposed to lift? I can lift pretty heavy and I wonder how much more do I need to increase? I'm not going for any competitions nor am I wanting the body building physique. And I don't lose any fat whatsoever. I start STS Meso 3 today and will finish this rotation and then I want to do what you're doing. Because, for one, I don't think I eat enough and so this would fit in with a less strenuous workout routine. What's the best high rep low weight workout DVDs? Who do you use for power yoga and what exactly is "power" yoga?

I know you asked Afreet's opinion but i wanted to make some recommendations. I like doing the slim series by beach body for some high rep work. I also like Jari Love, physique 57 and a new one Afreet recommended "Essentrics". For power yoga I love Mark Blanchard and Brian Kest. Marks power yogas are very challenging but even a beginner can give them a try.

Hi! Yeah, this sounds familiar! I like being strong and having muscles, but I got really tired of pumping iron all the time. To answer your questions (or at least, to do my best):

As I understand it, "Power Yoga" refers to various relatively strenuous sequences of yoga drawn from Ashtanga and Bikram yoga traditions, among others. I really, really, really like Shiva Rea's "Yoga Shakti" and Eoin Finn's "Power Yoga for Happiness" the best of everything I've tried.

As for the best high-rep , low-weight workouts, there's no one answer that works for everyone, but here are a few ideas:

Jari Love is an example of high-rep, low-weight (I'm going to abbreviate this from now on as "HRLW"): her workouts use pretty traditional, familiar exercises performed for MANY, MANY reps. I like these OK, but they're not my personal faves - although I do get great results with her workouts. You could do a search for "Jari Love" on these forums and find a LOT of threads about her!

Another HRLW example would be Tracy Effinger's Squeeze workouts, which I just discovered and LOVE. If you pay attention to your form your muscles will feel like they are ON FIRE. DOMS galore. And fast-paced and fun (at least for me). I used 2-pound weights for the whole DVD and basically couldn't move at the end.

A lot of barre/ballet-style workouts use very low or no weights but still get the job done. I just got "Pure Barre: Pershing Square 1 & 2" and have previewed it - it looks challenging and different. As Kariev mentioned, I think the Physique 57 workouts fit in here, too - but I'm still waiting for mine!

I've been having lots of fun trying new workouts that are totally unlike anything I've done for the past five years. Some of the things I tried didn't do it for me (the "Lotte Berk Method" DVDs I borrowed from Netflix were NOT my cup of tea...), but there's all kinds of fun stuff I've never tried, and it's cool to learn new techniques. Hope you have a good time exploring after STS!!

Afreet

Thank you!

I will look into some of your suggestions. I read your story and I know it hit me right at home and I'll bet many others. I know what works for you may not work for me, so I'm not going into this blindly. But, as I said before, I've had many questions in my head about HRLW vs Heavy lifting and I don't think I maintain a diet for heavy lifting. I have 8 weeks to look into your suggestions before I begin my trek.

I'll be sure to let everyone know because I am really looking forward to this.

Afreet: the pure barre workouts you have, how long are they and does one have to have a bar to do them? they look good. You keep making me spend money!

Afreet: the pure barre workouts you have, how long are they and does one have to have a bar to do them? they look good. You keep making me spend money!

I think I am just a cog in a giant wheel of enabling - the DVD reviews at Video Fitness keep making ME spend money, and I can't even count the number of times I've read a thread on this forum and whipped out the credit card! :eek:

I started out using a windowsill and a sturdy chair. It wasn't perfect, but it was OK. After reading some threads over at VF, I checked my local craigslist for a Fluidity Bar, and found one on the cheap. I like it, and I'm happy to have a barre, but I think I could've worked something out on my own with the assistance of Home Depot. The Fluidity Bar is nice, it folds up neatly and is easily stored, but I would make my own before I'd spend the asking price on it. Check out craigslist, Google "make your own ballet barre" or exploit a handy friend before you buy.

I'm going to try Pure Barre today for the first time, but here's the basics:

Pure Barre Pershing Square (PS) 1 is easier and 2 is harder. They're each about 45 minutes. They're actually chaptered! With other workouts, I usually go straight to the hardest possible DVD, but there's so much to learn about technique (and so many muscles I didn't know I had come into play), I'm starting with PS 1 and then I'll try PS 2.

FWIW, I think my favorite new workout is the Squeeze one with Tracy Effinger, and she only uses 1 pair of 2-lb handweights. I'm definitely looking into getting some more of her stuff!

HTH!

Afreet, reading your post hit home!! I'm by no means an exercise fanatic but I do try to get 3-4 workouts in a week and I eat well most of the time. What hit home for me was the obsession that overcomes me with this lifestyle!! I constantly think about eating and working out. I, too, had to take a step back and say "this is crazy, it's taking over my life". Since that, I stopped being so fanatical about it. I now feel much more comfortable with what I'm doing. I'm also a WW member which involves constant tracking of foods which I also took a break from. And I am also obsessed with my scale. I try not to be, but it helps me be more accountable. So, I am on the "slow & steady" program. I'm still losing weight (I've lost 19.4lbs since June 1st) I have 12.6 more pounds to go to hit my "goal" weight. I've only been working out with Cathe DVD's since July 1st (but only Basic Step, Low Impact Step, Low Max, Total Body Sculpting) I have a few more I haven't even tried yet but I'll get there.
I just wanted to let you know it's ok to not have this become the main focus of your life. You have to listen to your body and by the sounds of things, yours needed a break.
Good luck with your experiment and keep us posted.

What a great post! Afreet, I thought I was reading something I myself had written :). It's great to see your suggestions (and everyone else's), since I've been a bit burnt out and looking for something... different. Been doing Red Carpet Ready for the last 4 weeks (I'm in week #5) and it's been a great change of pace for me. I've lost 3 pounds and 1" so far--this after having been on a plateau for a year and a half!

I'm also just looking for more balance in my life. I'm finishing up marathon training (my race is in 7 weeks) and then I will be taking a few months' break from training--running 1x/week, MAYBE 2x some weeks if I feel like it, but purely to maintain the running fitness. But other than that, I plan to do more low-impact/lower-intensity things such as elliptical, swimming, aqua jogging, and lighter weights and/or kettlebells. I'm finding that I'm craving the shorter workouts too--the 2+ hours of training can get to you after a while.

I'm hoping all of this will help me concentrate on improving my eating, much as it did for you. I find myself getting obsessed with calories and "eating right," when I should just be keeping it simple and eating appropriate portions, sticking to clean foods, and allowing the occasional cheat. And when I get to the day when I can finally divorce my emotions from eating, I will be celebrating! :)

Please keep us posted on your "experiment." I'll be following with great interest!

Jennifer

I'll also be following your thread with great interest.

I've also just started doing light weights and barre after years of pumping heavier weights so this is a new experience for me as well. (I haven't picked up heavy weights in about 7-8 weeks.) My preliminary results are really encouraging as well. I expected more definition in my torso and legs but I was pleasantly surprised to see my arms are now more defined than ever (from the frequent push-ups and light weights??).

The barre does cause a lot of DOMS in my legs...always in a good way and again, I love what it's doing for my legs and glutes. I've been doing Pure Barre, Squeeze, Jari Love and Physique 57 with an occasional Fluidity or Classical Stretch DVD thrown in. For cardio I do mostly Cathe, but just purchased Zumba for some additional dancing fun (I'm still learning the basics...I have 2 left feet so I know it will take me a while to learn but heck, I'm having fun anyway). I'm definitely getting results....

As a matter of fact, (feeling good!) I just bought these incredible short high heel boots and skinny pants yesterday. When my DH came home last evening and saw me in my new outfit his jaw nearly fell on the floor. Needless to say, I got the two thumbs up and a big smile.

Oh yes, I will continue these workouts, for sure!

What a great and timely thread! I was at my grandma's house visiting for two weeks. I was dreading being away from the treadmill and all my weights for two weeks! I did take along a resistance band to do Burn It Up and Jillian's NMTZ. I alternated those two workouts for ten days along with some short evening walks. That summed my physical activity for two weeks. I ate clean and cut out sugar, helped myself to unlimited fruit and veggies and indulged in a piece of chocolate every now and then and got plenty of sleep each night. The biggest thing was that there was no pantry to stand in the middle of and graze!!! That is my biggest downfall - late night snacking in the pantry when I'm bored - I should just go to bed early! And guess what? Came home 5 lbs lighter! Plus my arms and core were really starting to see some nice cuts and definition by using resistance bands and body weight. About two weeks later I am maintaining and I'm not doing any 2 hour workouts or killing myself while working out! I know this works, happens every time I visit grandma! I think there is a lot of truth behind keeping the intensity to a minimum.

Afreet: just curious as to if you will ever go back to lifting mod/heavy weight or are you going to stick with lighter weights from here on out.

Hmmm...I don't know!

I never like to rule anything out...but I have a confession. I never really liked lifting heavy. I liked the 4-Day Split, and I could see myself doing that again someday. Otherwise, Slow & Heavy? Nope. Gym Styles? Probably not. STS? Arg.

But I always liked kettlebells. Those are pretty heavy, right? I'll definitely do another kettlebell rotation now & then. They do amazing things to my abs! :p

i here ya. when i started doing slow and heavy and gym styles i did notice my body shape changing (more muscle) which isn't terrible but i didn't like it on me. i feel like i work the muscles better when i do lighter weights as i can focus in on the muscle better. When i try and lift heavy I always compromise and incorporate other muscles even when i try not to. If i go back to STS it will just be for meso 1 and plyo legs.

I joined this experiment too after finishing STS followed by CLX So now I am walking with Leslie for 1 or 2 miles followed by a "mat" workout. Yesterday I did Release and today Physique57 Arms & Abs. Last week I alternated Ellen Barrett's Studio Series with low impact cardio. I feel great! I definitely have more energy and my night time snacking has decreased a lot. Thankfully! The other thing I noticed is that I feel much more stretched and flexible--no tightness or at least less tightness. I have ordered Essentrics and they should be here this week. Really looking forward to those. I am so glad this whole subject came up. I feel like I was give "permission" to lighten up. Great thread.

I joined this experiment too after finishing STS followed by CLX So now I am walking with Leslie for 1 or 2 miles followed by a "mat" workout. Yesterday I did Release and today Physique57 Arms & Abs. Last week I alternated Ellen Barrett's Studio Series with low impact cardio. I feel great! I definitely have more energy and my night time snacking has decreased a lot. Thankfully! The other thing I noticed is that I feel much more stretched and flexible--no tightness or at least less tightness. I have ordered Essentrics and they should be here this week. Really looking forward to those. I am so glad this whole subject came up. I feel like I was give "permission" to lighten up. Great thread.

Phyllis: how is the walking with leslie workouts? i was thinking of getting some but feel like they would be soooooo easy even too easy for a lower intensity rotation.

I just started walking with Leslie a little over a year ago and it has been OK. It is something you can always manage to do. I have been doing a couple of miles everyday plus Physique57, Tracey Anderson's Mat w/o, Release and hoping to add Essentrics. Rather than having a cardio day and a weight day separate I have been doing both 6 days a week and then just a stretch or rest on day 7. It has only been 2 weeks but I feel good and have lots more energy thru out the day. Leslie has some more "advanced" walks--4 Big Miles, 4 Fast Miles, 5 Mile Fat Burning and an early one called walkaerobics delux (I think) that I really like. That is a 2 mile walk. And best of all I am less hungry.

ok, this is my first full week of working out at a lower intensity. i've basically been doing the slim series but i have cut the workouts in half each day (30 min) and then would do 30 min of steady state cardio either running, incline walking, biking, or the elliptical. Basically i'm working my muscles everyday with light weight (total body freestyle) I have to say, i'm already seeing really good tone in my arms (way more then any heavy weight has ever given me) and my jeans are much looser in the thigh area. I think this may be the way i should be working out for my body.

On a side note, i wanted to know what any of your thoughts are on the firm workouts. I was looking into them and wondering if some of the full body toning ones would be good to use. Can you make any recommendations?

just bumping this thread and wondering how everyone is doing? this is my second week and i'm loving the lower intensity though i'm still waiting for my appetite to decrease a bit but i have noticed a little difference in it. I know it takes some time for the appetite to regulate itself in response to exercise when its so used to being on overdrive from high intensity workouts. I ordered a ballet bar and should get it this week which i'm really excited for. I'm really enjoying doing the slim series workouts right now. I tried essentrics lower body workout yesterday and liked it. It suprises me how painful some of those exercises are when they don't look like they would do anything.

I am just starting my third week of low intensity. Yesterday I did Essentrics Athlete's Stretch and today P57Express. I like Esssentrics but nothing gets me like P57. For some reason the Express had me pouring sweat today and my legs screaming. Maybe I am just getting better at it and working it harder. I have really no other barre w/o's but I am thinking that P57 stands alone in intensity. I do have Tracey Anderson's Mat w/o and will do that one tomorrow. I am starting to miss my weights however and was thinking of adding on some Jillians. The thing I do notice is that I feel lighter, much less tired and much less hungry. When I was doing STS and then CLX I would feel exhausted during the day. Not so now. I am kind of surprised at how much more energy I have. i am looking forward to adding on Cathe's Travel w/o with the band.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.