The highs and lows of running...

jcm

Cathlete
Over the past 11 years of running, I think I've decided running is 70% psychological and 30% physical. I'm slowly increasing my long runs - preparing for a half. Last week was 8, today was supposed to be 9. I was feeling good - mentally prepared. Physically feeling good EXCEPT at 3.5 a nagging injury hit. So I had to stop before facing a month long lay off. Now it's the psychological disappointment of cutting it short. My 19.5 mile wee is now 9. I was mentally prepared by the ol' bod backfired on me. I'm learning to not get all depressed about it and move on but it's sooo HARD! Last week - awesome week feeling good with 18 mile week. This week ... uggggh.

Oh, how I can relate to your post...after having three great 8 mile runs, I went for a 9 miler on Sunday, and felt absolutely awful...it didn't help that there were wind gusts of 40 mph, and the temp barely got above 20 degrees, and I didn't have any dinner the night before because, and I'm not kidding, my dog ate it. Ultimately my body simply said, 'Uh uh...not today, pal'. I did finish, but was not at all triumphant.

I hope your injury isn't too severe that you can't get back out there real soon...try not to be too discouraged - I too believe that it's just the nature of the sport, and how you feel psychologically can really mess with the physical outcome. Some days you've got it, and others...well you know.

I'm running with you in spirit...
Karen

First let me preface this by saying I am not a runner. But man runners embody everything I admire. I always watch runners with such awe and a tinge of sadness that my body really doesn't like that motion.

That said I thing runners are more in tune with what makes a good workout and what makes a bad workout than almost any other group. They tend to be so tuned in to their body that they get very clear signals of a good" day vs. a "bad" day. And as a group they tend to be so dedicated that one "bad" day can really knock them off their game.

This may or may not help...a few years ago I was sick, really sick, in fact bedridden for over a year. Many days DH would pack me into the car and seat belt me in so I would stay upright. He would take me to the dr where they will actually keep you in their offices for a long time to keep an eye on you and keep you out of the hospital. Since I live in a walking/running neighborhood most days on the way to the dr or home I would see at least 1 if not more runners (no matter what time of day). Even from my drugged stupor I still remember the intensity that I admired and envied those runners, lithely moving through my neighborhood. I know injuries suck, and I know it is really ishy to not be able to complete your scheduled run. If possible, next time you are struggling, try to celebrate the fact that even on a bad day your body will still run through this world.

I'm a long time runner too...and yes those nagging and not-so-nagging injuries are always unexpected and unwelcome-especially if they happen about five miles from home! :p

Remember, cross-training is a runner's best friend!

Don't get discouraged from one bad run. We all have bad days and bad runs. I hope you heal fast and get back out there. You will feel so accomplished once you reach your goal! Of course I need to tell myself this since I injured my back. Not sure yet if it is was running related or I did something else. As soon as I get the okay from the dr., I am going to resume my long runs. I am planning to run a 1/2 in May but may need to postpone.

This may or may not help...a few years ago I was sick, really sick, in fact bedridden for over a year. Many days DH would pack me into the car and seat belt me in so I would stay upright. He would take me to the dr where they will actually keep you in their offices for a long time to keep an eye on you and keep you out of the hospital. Since I live in a walking/running neighborhood most days on the way to the dr or home I would see at least 1 if not more runners (no matter what time of day). Even from my drugged stupor I still remember the intensity that I admired and envied those runners, lithely moving through my neighborhood. I know injuries suck, and I know it is really ishy to not be able to complete your scheduled run. If possible, next time you are struggling, try to celebrate the fact that even on a bad day your body will still run through this world.

Wow! Great story with some wonderful perspective.;)

We all have to encourage eachother :) My mom is in failing health and can't walk without a walker. That helps me keep things in perspective also! Running definitely puts me more in tune with my body than anything else. Which is good and bad!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.