the gym vs exercise vids

mini-natty

Cathlete
Who only exercises at home with workout vids and avoids the gym? I read an article saying that people who DO NOT have a gym membership are fitter as they dedicate more hours working out at home or running/walking. I personally avoid the gym like the plague. I hate everything about it from the lack of privacy, to waiting for machines, to rude gym etiquette, to being harassed by trainers that want big $$ for their expertise. Oh and how they make it impossible for you to quit. Exercise video's and equipment fit my lifestyle the best. I am fitter and healthier than I was 10 years ago when I had a gym membership but went 1X/week. Who agrees that working out at home beats the gym hands down? Who enjoys both?

I work out at home too, but I don't necessarily think that it's "better" than working out at the gym.

What works for you as an individual is what is better. If you don't like the gym, then of course home workouts are for you. If you can't get motivated to do anything at home, then the gym is going to give you a better workout.

I don't think you can generalize and declare that one way or the other is best.:)

I LOVE working out at home, I can do it at my convenience and don't have to wait for machines. I have a lifetime membership to Fitness USA but I haven't been there is over 20 years. I have thought about going there off and on but since we have a Spin Bike, Elliptical, Nordic Track and a Treadmill along with all sorts of Stability Balls, Weights, a Step, a High Step and other things there is no need to. I would just love to have the space so I don't have to put it away when I'm finished.

...Cheryl

Working out at home is just more convenient for me. I've never had a gym membership, however, back in the early 80s I worked at several chain health clubs. I prefer the focus I can acheive at home, as well as the time saved without the travel. I'd probably never get around to it if I had to drive to the gym! I've exercised at home since 1984, but my most awesome results didn't arrive until I found Cathe in September 2010! I have her and the girls over regularly to get me huffin' and puffin'!:D

Working out at home is more convenient for me and more enjoyable over all but I had a gym membership for a couple years that enabled me to run using a treadmill and I thoroughly enjoyed that. I also enjoyed taking some of the classes they offered as a change of routine from what I did it at home. I however hated lifting there w/the exception of one class I took on occasion and thankfully, due to my extensive dvd collection/equipment, I was never forced to!

So for me it's a mixed bag of some good and some bad and I actually would like to join a gym again some day and get back into running since my house is too small to house a treadmill. Overall though, home exercising has always been the best fit for me and I will never give it up. No matter what. :)

I only workout at home. I like the convenience. When I had a gym membership, I preferred the group exercise classes (cardio machines bore me to tears), but I had to work around their schedule. That's understandable, but I still didn't like that. With exercising at home, I like that I can do whatever type of exercise I want, whenever I want. I don't have to plan my workouts around the gym schedule. Class starts whenever I press start on my DVD player. I also like that I don't waste precious time in the morning (I only work out in the AM) traveling to and from the gym. That's time that I could be exercising. Also, I have 3 kids to get up and see off to school and I can't do that if I'm at the gym. I work out while my oldest is up getting ready for school. By the time he leaves for the bus, I'm finished, then me and the two younger kids get ready for work and school. Cathe makes it easy to get an excellent, gym-quality workout at home, especially with the weight-lifting. There's no way that I would have achieved the level of strength that I have if I was weight training on my on at the gym. Having her DVDs is like having a personal trainer in the privacy of your own home. For that reason, I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything by not going to a gym. I feel like I'm better off at home with Cathe and her crew. The only time I preferred a gym membership was when my children were much smaller (toddler stage) and it was better for me to leave them in the gym nursery while I worked out. The youngest is 11 so there's no need for that now.

I had a gym membership one summer while in college because I wanted to start using weight machines in my workouts, but found I became tired of being hit on by old men who were just there to socialize. I also hated it when people tried to give me form pointers that I didn't need or were wrong.

I really feel like I have everything I need to keep myself challenged and fit with Cathe's workouts. There are times I want to go heavier weight-wise, but feel I need a spotter or the assistance of a weight machine to really do it. But that really doesn't justify a monthly gym membership for me, personally.

To each their own, though! :)

I agree that it depends on the person. Back in 2000-2003 BC (before kids), I used go to the gym regularly. I did a lot of the group aerobic classes and weight work using the machines. I loved it. That's what worked best for me THEN.

Nowadays, though, different situation and a whole different ballgame. I have 3 kids and I find what works best for me is to workout during naptime. I'm not a morning person right now, so I get my workouts done when my baby is napping, my preschooler is having quiet time and my first grader is at school. I honestly don't believe I would be as dedicated about exercise, as I am now, if I had to get the kids in the car each day, drive over to the gym, pay for daycare at the gym for my kids, etc, etc. I also think I would have a lot less time in my day for other things.

Another reason, and perhaps my biggest one of all, that I prefer home workouts over the gym is that I honestly believe I get a BETTER workout at home. I think back on the aerobics classes I used to do at the gym, and compared to Cathe, they pale in comparison! Add to that ... I now do free weights (thanks to Cathe) and I have much greater muscle definition than I ever achieved using the machines at the gym.

Besides Cathe workouts, I also enjoy running. I prefer to run outside as I hate the treadmill, but I hate the cold and windy North Dakota winters even more. Running outside in the winter is not something I want to do right now, so I choose the lesser of two evils: the treadmill. I usually end up joining a gym for a few months during the winter (Jan-March, for example) so I can get some runs in and to train for the May race events they have in my town. Even then, I just tack on my running at the gym to my regular Cathe workout schedule, doing my runs in the evening when I can have my husband watch my kids instead of dragging them over to the gym daycare.

Bottom line. I don't think I will ever, ever, ever be a fulltime dedicated gym member again. I like my Cathe workouts WAY too much. However, until I own a treadmill of my own (someday! someday!) I will be utilizing the gym on a seasonal basis, if only so I can get my runs in. :D

I love working out at home, too (with Cathe!), both for the convenience and because I get a great workout...like many of you, I'm self motivated and can get a great workout at home thanks to Cathe. However, I belong to a gym because I have a fantastic spin instructor...I won't drop my membership unless she leaves or my legs fall off, whichever comes first. Given how challenging her spin classes are, it might be the latter. :)

I do both! I love taking group classes such as zumba and horizontal training and balance infused strength. I do like the convenience and flexibility of DVD workouts too. I like to mix things up so that I won't get bored.

I used to workout in a gym. I don't think I was nearly as challenged as I am with Cathe. I do wish I had more space so that I would have room for a treadmill. But, that said, I think running outside is a much more intense workout. With Cathe's strength workouts I never get bored and I don't have to worry about whether I did it to only one side!;):D

There is too much of a down-side for me in going to a gym:

you have to get out of your house which entails:

-putting on deodorant
-you have to be sure your pits are shaved, RECENTLY
-caring about smeared mascara from last night,
-not to mention caring about all that garlic in the salsa you had last nite...whew!
- you have to actually brush your teeth before you workout
- you have to actually brush your hair instead of just grabbing it and
putting in a pony tail.
-not being able to wear your nasty old workout clothes that you have
not washed for awhile (and maybe has a hole in them, but it's your
fav.)
- you can't yell at your kids to stop fighting and threaten them with their
lives
-you aren't reminded of the spider web that is hanging from the
ceiling...to sweep that baby away later.
-if you have to go to the bathroom in the middle of your workout...no
problem, you won't miss any of the class, AND no one looks at you
like "I know what you just did" when you come back to class

These are just a few of the reasons why I prefer my home to the gym.

-putting on deodorant
-not to mention caring about all that garlic in the salsa you had last nite...whew!
putting in a pony tail.
fav.)
lives

I totally agree with Tralaiven! but could I add one more?
-worried that you ate mexican and ate beans the night before..:eek:

tralaiven said:

-putting on deodorant
putting in a pony tail.
fav.)
lives

I love it! That says it all! lol!
I have 3 girls, no extra time to go to the gym. Cathe kick my butt all the time anyway!

-putting on deodorant
putting in a pony tail.
fav.)
lives

GREAT! HILARIOUS! And yet so very, very true!!! I wholeheartedly agree with all of them ... especially the mid-workout bathroom runs. Three kids will do that to ya!:p

I, too, wish I had more room so I could leave all my gear laid out and not have to put it away at the end of each workout. ((sigh)) I guess when I'm old and gray and all the kids have moved out of the house then I can turn my family room into MY workout room. I'll have 36x24 posters of Cathe everywhere, my stability ball out in the open and all my weights lined up "just so." Sounds like heaven!! ;):D

I worked out in my college gym when I was in college and the worked out in my apartment gyms. In 2005 I joined Bally's and it was fine, I went to a regular step and weight lifting class but it was a little on the expensive side. Think I was paying about $30 a month.

Then in 2008 my purse was stolen out of a locked locker (funny I never put a lock on the locker for 2 years prior to that incident) and then the location closest to me shut down. And to top it off b/c I didn't want to go to a location out of my way I had to pay a $75 cancellation fee!!

At that point I said I'm not going to join another gym ever again. I started working out in my apartment gym for a little bit and finally found FitTV in which I found Cathe!! I think Push/Pull was the 1st workout I did and was like "wow this is the same kind of workout I did at the gym".

Ever since I have been hooked and will not go to a gym again. I agree with other Cathletes that I like the privacy, I can focus more and workout when I want.

For some they don't have the motivation to workout at home but I love it, when I come home that is the first thing I do. It's also a stress reliever for me as well, so I love working out at home.

Also I don't have to worry about if people are sick and should be at home instead of contaminating the entire gym or worrying about how clean the equipment is.

Definitely depends on each person and their likes, so do what works for you :)

-putting on deodorant
putting in a pony tail.
fav.)
lives

Thanks for the great laugh...especially about shaved pits! I like my home gym, which I call The Dungeon and its wired for sound and I have all the implements that make a gym completely successful including my TRX suspension, kettlebells, cushion tile and PRIVACY!

Last edited:
Lol! Thanks for the smile tralavian! What you wrote was so true. I also got a kick out of whoever wrote about eating the beans! :) I too prefer the home vs the gym. Privacy, watching the kids and workout times are much more convenient in my own basement.

I've been a regular gym-goer for 22 years & would NEVER give up my membership. I don't think there's any possible way I could be in the shape I'm in just by working out at home. I do 100% of my cardio at home, but I do probably 99% (I do have one core w/o I do at home) of my strength training at the gym.

There are certain pieces of equipment I couldn't live without that I couldn't afford or fit in my basement. The leg press, leg curl & leg extension machines at the top of the list. The free standing squat rack. The smith machine. The pec deck. The benches & olympic barbells. The pre-loaded barbells that range from 20-100 lbs. I suppose you could choose a couple of these to own, but if there's someone out there who has them all at home I'm jealous of both your space and your bank account. ;)

And a lot of the home strength training bores me to tears. I have so many more options at the gym, & can switch up my routine every week or so. If I had to do a leg w/o like B&G or L&G every week I think my head would explode. Too repetitious for my ADD.

I also happened to feel much more motivated when there are people around me. I am not motivated at home at all. I'm good in the early morning when I do cardio before work, but if I went home after work & had a choice between cuddling on the couch w/my pugs or working out in the basement, the pugs will win every time. And I find the gym a great social outlet. I've met some of my best friends there. :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.