The "Everything About P90X" Thread

allwildgirl

Cathlete
Okay, there have been SO MANY P90X threads, many with the same questions, I thought I’d consolidate all the info here. Let me know what I’ve missed.

What is it?

A 12 week program of workouts including lots of strength training, some cardio, yoga and core.

How long are the workouts?

Ab Ripper X is the shortest at about 16 minutes. Then Cardio X is about 45 minutes. The rest are all about an hour, except Yoga X which is 1 hour 32 minutes.

How does it work?

There are three rotations – Classic, Doubles and Lean. They each use the workouts in different ways, depending on the results you want to get and how much time you have. There are generally three weeks of workouts, then a recovery week where you do very little weight training, lots of core, yoga, some kickboxing.

How do they compare to Cathe?

It’s hard to compare because they are very different. Intensity-wise, they are probably about the same, although you can make the strength training as difficult as you like. The set-up is different, as you do not follow the instructor, but instead do your chosen number of reps (8-10 for bulk, 12-15 for leaner) with your chosen weight load.

There are LOTS of push-ups and pull-ups. You will need a pull-up bar but no other fancy equipment. One exerciser in the crew always uses resistance bands instead of weights, so you have that option.

What about diet?

There is a nutrition plan you can follow if you choose. Perhaps someone else can give more details on this, because I didn’t do it.

What about leg work? I’ve heard it isn’t great.

I found it incredibly effective, but some others didn’t like it. My legs are the best they’ve ever been. There is hardly any weighted work.

Is there a lot of cardio?

No. Usually you do Plyo X once a week (which is very intense), Kenpo X once a week (which is medium intense) and Yoga X once a week (which is a tough yoga workout). The emphasis is on building lean muscle.

Can my DH/SO do it?

I think this is more guy-friendly than Cathe. The instructor is male, a lot of the crew is male and they use HEAVY weight. My SO is doing the weight work and even considering the cardio. He’s had great results just doing the weight work and not cleaning up his diet at all.

I think that covers it. If any other Xers have anything to add, please feel free.

RE: The

To add:

- I found the legs to be effective as well.
- didn't do the eating plan at all and still had amazing results
- I fell in love with the more traditional style of lifting on P90X. Lifting heavy 8-10 reps just works for my body. I tried for ages to get bigger with more definition but with other programs I got either bulky in the lumpy sense of the word or just had no progress at all. If anyone is looking for a serious breakthrough in their strength training, I'd say do P90x.
- I did the classic with both no extra cardio and extra cardio (about 1 hour extra per week) and had fantastic results with both.
- the single best fitness investment I have ever made.

Beachbody should put me on the advertising payroll.

Sparrow

My garden is filled with papayas and mangos
My life is a mixture of reggaes and tangos
Taste for the good life, I can live it no other way
- Jimmy Buffett

Great information!

I was wondering if you know why they do not use heavy weights fo legs?

Just curious.... Did you supplement the P90X leg work with Cathe legs?

I don't think he feels that you need heavy weights. I certainly didn't.

Nope, I didn't do any supplemental leg workouts.

Thanks Shelley!!

I ordered P90X earlier this week and am waiting for it to be delivered.

One question: Did you experience a decrease in your cardiovascular fitness with so little cardio? If so, would you add more into the program or would that interfere with strength gains?

JJ

Thanks so much Shelley!!! My P90x will be delivered on Monday...I'm excited to get these. In the mean time I can enjoy my new Cathe's.

Can you elaborate more on the rotations...I've heard something about doubles..etc. Also, did you and your SO do the same one together, or did you do different ones?

I saw your results...and you look fabulous...!!!]
Amber

Actually, JJ, I lied. I did do a bit of running on rest days but nothing intense. And not on all of them.

My SO didn't really do a rotation. He just did the strength workouts with me and not all the time.

The Classic Rotation I'm doing goes like this:

Phase 1

M - Chest and Back, Ab Ripper X
T - Plyo X
W - Shoulders and Arms, Ab Ripper X
T - Yoga X
F - Legs and Back, Ab Ripper X
S - Kenpo X
S - Rest/StretchX

Recovery week (these are all the same and I might have the order wrong)

M - Core Synergistics
T - Yoga X
W - Kenpo X
T - Stretch X
F - Core Synergistics
S - Yoga X
S - Rest/Stretch

Phase 2

M - Chest, Shoulders, Triceps, Ab Ripper X
T - Plyo X
W - Back and Biceps, Ab Ripper X
T - Yoga X
F - Legs and Back, Ab Ripper X
S - Kenpo X
S - Rest/Stretch X

Phase 3

Basically you alternate weeks from Phase 1 and Phase 2 for four weeks

For those cardio lovers, The "Doubles rotation" adds 3 (in phase 2) to 4 (in phase 3) extra cardio sessions a week. You'll be doing two workouts a day, hence the word "Doubles".

Regarding the legs and weights. Tony says "when you can't go heavy(probably meaning squats racks and smith machines), you use reps."
They do use weights, so It's not a totally weightless workout.

Just to chime in here; I'm on week 5. I have noticed that my flexibility has improved (I'm not very flexible at all) as well as my functional fitness level has definitely risen as P90X incorporates alot of core work overall.

My legs feel firmer overall so far. I still have some little saddle bag issues that I'd like to reduce, so maybe that will happen over time.

Yoga X is the baine of my existence, especially 90 minutes worth, but I feel like it has done wonders for me mentally and physically. It's really shocking how hard it is and how much my heart pounds through the whole thing.

Chin-Up Bar

Do I need to order the chin-up bar from BeachBody or is there a better one out there?

Marcy

Shelley...Thanks so much for all the great information...I have been on the fence..and I didn't think the beachbody website gave very much info...You should write for them!!! I appreciate the time you put into your post...and I guess I will have to invest in this system...It sounds great!! I'm also glad to hear that you didn't follow the diet...I'm awful at that!!

Thanks again!
Debra

Bite off more than you can chew. Then chew it---Ella Williams

Shelly,

Thank you so very much for this info, that is very kind of you. I'll be getting mine today and can't sit still. I'm cleaning until it arrives, just to make the time go faster.

Thanks again,

Janie

The idea is to die young as late as possible.

www.picturetrail.com/janiejoey

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.