~~~ the 40's and over Check in~~~

Cindi,

I keep hearing about the Discovery Store. What is it, do you have a link? Is it the Discovery Channel store? I never see anything there. :-(

Hi all. Lynn it's good to have you join us. I did Providence kettlebell workout today. This is 3 days in a row for successfully getting in my workout. This check in is so perfect for me right now. The eating still needs some polishing so I will start logging calories.

A little about myself:
I will be married 20 years this August.(Several of us 40+ married in 88 !)I have 5 sons. A step-son who is 22. A 18 year old who just graduated from H.S. and is getting ready for college. My other boys are 15, 11 and 9. We have dogs, cats, horses, birds, turtles, chickens ect.
I have been doing Cathe since 1996. My first tape was when she was with Step N Motion and I have collected all of her workouts with the exception of The Wedding Workout, and her beginner workout. I have done exclusively Cathe until a couple years ago when I started running. My newest venture is kettlebells which I am enjoying.
I have always exercised but this last year my mother became ill and required almost full time care.Diet and exercise were neglected and throw in peri-menopause and now I have an extra 20 pounds ! So.. She is now stable and I am trying to get back into shape. Like I said, this check in is just what I needed.
I wish everyone a blessed day with lots of endorphins!! Laura

Hi Everyone! Sounds like this checkin is helping us all become more accountable. I did GS CT and iTread Top40 today. I've never been a runner but I am really enjoying treadmill running with iTreads and Cardio Coach. Whoever commented on it being harder in the 40s to lose the weight, that is so true. Seems each decade you have to add something more to be able to stay in shape. But we are up for it, right?

Tina, I'll do the April 07 rotation with you, that would be cool to be doing the same workout as someone else. I may add in a couple of runs, depends on how this body feels next week. x(

Laura, I'm very glad to hear your Mom is doing better. Mom's are dear, I lost my Mom almost 6 years ago. She's still with me everyday though, even in my avatar! I love seeing her pic with me on my posts.

Cindi, It will be so cool once STS comes and we can compare notes. I'd love to lose the last 10 lbs (or at least 5) before we get it so I'm very patiently waiting.

Have a great day everyone, stay true!

Hi Over 40 Ladies!

I'm Amy and I'm 40 and 1/2. Gosh - it still doesn't seem right when I say it, but it is true.

Anyway, I posted a forum question elsewhere and the lovely Tina (trunyon)asked me to join this check in. So here I am.

About myself: I'm 40, one 6 year-old daughter, one husband, one cat, and one full-time desk job.

I have lost 20 pounds over the last year and 1/2 or so. I have been maintaining my 5'4" 114 lb frame now for 6 months or so.

I began my journey doing Denise Austin videos and riding a stationery bike. Denise Austin is great, but (as you know) I needed more so.....I read the Abs Diet Book last summer and learned all about healty eating and proper exercise. I also got a lot of this information from the web. I then bought the Abs Diet Exercise DVD and did that for over a year. I know realize I did it for too long and needed to move on to something else much sooner than I do.

Anyway, this is when I ran across this website and discovered Cathe! How excited was I to find gym style weight lifting DVDs that are challenging. I honestly didn't think they existed (except for P90X of which I was comtemplating buying).

So, I bought Muscle Max and have been doing that for 3 months and have now moved on to all three Gym Styles. I also have Pyramids, but don't really have the right set of weights for that. I will purhcase the weights at a later date.

I ride a stationery bike (which is my choice for cardio) three times a week for 30 minutes and (since the weather has been nice) have been walking at lunch with a co-worker for about 25 minutes 2 times per week.

My weight is great, right where I want it to be (114 lbs), but I am still working on more muscle definition. It is showing, but I want it to really show. Has anyone seen Kelly Rypa's or Katie Couric's biceps. They are so awesome.

I also eat fairly healthy. I never used to eat breakfast - now I do. I also have learned to know when I'm hungry or just bored. I now know the difference. I pretty much eat what I want, but all in moderation. I have also found that sooooooo many healthy foods taste sooooooo goood. Whole wheat pasta, lean beef, chicken, and turkey, grilled veggies. I honestly hardly ever crave things that are bad for me and if I do I can usually think of a healty version. Such as oven baked home made fries, or a hamburger made on a whole wheat bun using 96% lean ground beef. YUM!

Wow...this is long......I'll sign off now.

Hi all, I am 43, Have been working out to Cathe for 2 years, was a Firm fan until I saw the light! (Cathe!) I am married, with 3 kids and work only part-time. I am diligent about working out, however my diet is terrible! My weight is ok, I would love to have more definition. I'm very excited about STS, hopefully this will take me where I want to be. This seems like a great check-in! Mary

WOW!!! This thread is SO awesome! I was busy at work today and didn't get a chance to post....So many new posters!!!:7

Lisa - I'm so happy you're joining me in the April 07 rotation - that will be fun having somebody on this thread doing the same thing. What do you say ladies? Want to join us?

Hammiehaack - I looked back at the thread in the Ask Cathe forum to see if you responded, so I was really excited when I saw you here! Welcome aboard! I too have a full-time desk job - so it's nice when I make my snacks ahead of time and don't reach for something I know I really don't want! Don't you just LOVE MM?

Laura & Lisa - I lost my dear mom 3 years ago. SO hard...mine is with me everyday too, a constant thought in my heart and mind!

Hi Andrea! Wow Australia!!! How exciting! I believe you are on board with alot of other chocolate lovers here! Not me, call me crazy...but my love is salty things, chips and con queso dip.:9

Today I had a protein pancake and coffee w/hazelnut creamer,
snack: protein pancake w/blueberries
lunch: small chef salad w/ranch (sorry, had to have that)
snack: handful of cashews
supper: med.size salad w/garbonzo beans, cucumbers, turkey and balsamic vinegar dressing

Right after I done CTX 10-10-10 (no triceps, arms too sore from the crazy 8's yesterday) I had a Recovery drink (the one BeachBody sells).

I'll stop rambling....everybody have a GREAT night and an AWESOME day tomorrow - talk to you soon!

Hi Ladies, just checking in to vent. Not a good night for sleeping last night, boom, at 2:30 am, I'm just wide awake. I hate it when that happens, guess this month I am getting the no sleeping hormone disruption. Then to top it off, DH is over there snoring away. He has to lay on his back because of his gallbladder surgery last week so that makes it worse, and I don't have the heart to kick him, so here I am venting. Whew, glad that is off my chest.

I'm going to stumble back to bed and see if I can catch a couple hours sleep so that I am up to the task of Lo Max. Thankfully I don't work anymore and don't have to be anywhere.

Oh and while I was awake I also HAD to eat something! I was a bit hungry and thought if I ate something I'd get back to sleep. Well, that didn't work. Thankfully I only had a couple bites of a protein bar.

Does anyone else have this middle of the night waking? Any ideas what I can do? I've tried taking melatonin but found it doesn't always help either.

OH Lisa, I feel your pain!!

For me, I usually wake somewhere between 11p.m. and 1.00 a.m. I get up, make a pit stop at the pantry! YIKES! Sometimes I play on the computer, maybe grab some warm milk (desperate times call for desperate measures) or read a book and then after an hour or so, go back to toss and turn for a bit, eventually usually around 5 I drop off to sleep only to have to get outta bed at 7 on a non working day or 0610 on a working day! Its awful!

I havn't got a remedy, other than sometimes I get so desperate I take a pill. Thats only because I really really need some sleep.

I'd love for someone to come up with a remdy for this!

Andrea

Hello Ladies.

Sorry I wasn't here to post.

I've been trying to keep up with my rotation and so far I 'm doing okay.

Yesterday I did Push Pull Lower Body X3 premix.

Today I have ME UB split and I want to add in CCv7.

On my UB weights days I try to add in a CC or Itread for extra cardio.

My hubby works the midnight shift and well he's off today so I'm thinking I'll be switching my rest day from Sundays to Thursdays instead.

We plan on taking our youngest to see Kung Fu Panda.

Take care all! :)

OMG - You ladies and your rotations!

Maybe I'll get there some day, but right now it is all I can do to do the GS series, stationery bike for cardio, and MM abs.

Adding premixes, mixing DVDs, is just too much for my already overflowing brain to handle.

I'm totally impressed by all of you!

Morning ladies,

I too am impressed by those of you who do the rotations. I am thinking of trying her 4 day series rotation but have not done it yet. I want to go through the DM, LIC, BM2 and B&G series (recently bought 2 and borrowed 2). Hey, does that count as my own personal rotation? Anyway, it was all I could do to get out of bed this morning. I eventuall did get up and did one of the LIC premixes. I am still tired, but Cathe is worth it. ;-)

Good morning ladies! Last night was Pyramid Lower Body. We didn't get to Thai Kwon Do so that will be tonight along with a run. Eating has been very good. I am pretty much where I want to be on my weight now - give or take a couple pounds. I've lost those stubborn winter pounds finally! I'm counting calories and eating my BMR calories 5-6 out of 7 days a week. It's been slooooow.

I've been listening to Jillian Michael's podcasts and she's convinced me to count calories.

Lisa - I don't have any real sleep problems or nighttime eating. The only problem I have is that when I work out at night, I drink a lot of water then have to get up to go to the bathroom, but I can go right back to sleep thankfully. I heard melatonin will help but sounds like you've tried that. Sleeping pills scare me!

HammieHaack - Hi, welcome! I think MM was my first weight lifting workout from Cathe. It's fantastic. I also really like the the Pyramids. I only have GS Legs but have yet to do it (oops!). I had the slow and heavy series on VHS but didn't really like it. Good job on the weight! Congratulations. I really believe to get to that Kelly Ripa look you have to do a LOT of cardio in addition to weights and have a perfect diet. She's so thin though! I think she does a lot of circuit work. I'm with you on the premixes/DVD mixes - it overwhelms me! Maybe the ladies here can help us. :)

Hi Mary. :)

Vilma - we saw KF Panda a couple of weeks ago and really enjoyed it! I have a few Itreads but have been just running on my own lately. My daughter and I are running a 10K in August so I'm just trying to get my distance and time in. What CC's do you like? And have you had any problems with the downloads or do you get the CDs? I'm thinking of trying a couple.

Good morning everyone !

Lisa- I'm so sorry about your poor night's sleep. I can so relate. Luckily, I only had to deal with this for a couple of months. Don't know if you might drink alcohol but I discovered that a glass of wine in the evening made the tossing and turning so much worse. I started taking just 1 Tylenol P.M. before bed and that helped . Good luck. I think of all my symptoms (and there are many) this was the hardest to deal with.

Tina- The April rotation sounds fun but I am still experimenting with my kettle bells and exercising outside as much as possible. Maybe when you start your next rotation I will be ready to join in.

Vilma- Please let us know your opinion of Kung Fu Panda. We hardly ever go see movies but this might be a fun one for the kids on a hot summer afternoon.

Amy- prepare youself for endless Cathe challenges.When you think you have conquered them all you just try a new premix or make up a mish mosh and the fun starts all over again.

To all who follow have a wonderful day
:) ;-) Laura

Hi ladies! I just turned 44 this month. Have lost 10 lbs in the past year and need to lose another 10 to be at my healthiest weight. I am a critical care RN and works nights right now. Also in school for myBSN. Four grown kids, 2 doggies, and 1 husband. Yesterday I did ME before work and felt it later while walking around. My eating was very good yesterday and last night. I take my food with me, and thankfully no junk food was around. I have tried rotations but don't usually stick with them.

I'm getting ready for work soon. I walked my dogs but my left heel feels sore so today will be my rest day.

It's so encouraging to read all your posts. I've been working out for years but the waist line has become my biggest enemy.

Well, I better get ready for work. Have a great night all!

Lynn

PS. Forget to mention I have a Harley and ride a lot!! Love it!!

WOW! Lyn you ride a Harley!! Awesome! I ride a horse. Not really the same;-) But I love riding!

How are you finding night shifts at 44? I recently stopped 12 hour night shifts. I coped really well (at the time) but now that I've stopped I didn't realise how much of a strain they were on me. Back in my younger days the night shifts didn't worry me at all and I still prefer them, but they take there toll on me.

I tired yoga last night in an effort to help me sleep. Didn't work ;)

Andrea.

Happy Friday! I'm so looking forward to this weekend! I didn't sleep well night before last - went to bed with tons of energy which is very unusual and only slept for 4 hours! Must be these Cathe workouts I've added back in my routine!!! WOO-HOO, gott'a love that woman!!!

Hi Lynn! Me and DH used to have a Harley BadBoy. So when we got our german shepherd puppy, we named him Harley. Now what everybody here wants to know, since you lost 10lbs while being age 43...HOW DID YOU DO IT????:) Enquiring minds want to know:D Lisa and I are doing the April 07 Rotation starting Monday. If you'd like to try it with us we can offer great support!

My diet has been really good this week. I give credit to the protein pancakes for breakfast - grab 'em and go....been making salads for lunch ahead of time, snacks have been a handful of cashews or almonds, an apple and such. I really need to concentrate on drinking ALOT more water through the day. I don't drink much of anything at all! And if I do, I love sweet tea - don't shoot!!!:7

You all have a great day! And a wonderful weekend!

Hi ladies! I won't be around this weekend but Happy Friday.

Lynn - that's cool that you ride a Harley!

Diet's been really good this week. I'm down 8.5 pounds from late April. Keeping my protein intake high (at least 100 grams a day) and counting calories is what I've had to do. I'm 5'9" and 149 right now. Like I said yesterday, I'd like to be a couple pounds lighter for summer. Anything between 145 and 150 makes me VERY happy. That was my high school weight. :)

I'm a pear and haven't really gained in the midsection yet. My mom is a BIG time pear and even though she's always been overweight, I never noticed a shifting of weight to her midsection so I'm hoping (fingers crossed!) I won't see the same weight shift this decade.

I LOVE tea - but only iced unsweetened. I've been taking my lunch to work - which helps. And now that I'm counting my calories (which I resent having to do btw) I just try to plan my entire day ahead of time and write it all down so I don't leave myself any room for free-range eating!

Hello Ladies!

Kung Fu Panda was a really cute movie and funny - dh and I enjoyed it as much as our almost 10 yr old!

I'm off to do Imax 2 in a bit and will be doing CCPP tomorrow with the rest of the folks who do it also :) So no run for me today although I really want to do CCv7 or 8 lol

Have a great day all, I will try to get back on later for personals ! :D

Hi all! Happy weekend! I just finished the Viper and I am still dripping. I am turning into quite the sweater (Right spelling?) I wish I was as good with my diet as all of you seem to be! I love the propel water,but diet pepsi is my downfall! Have a good day! Mary

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.