That's a *big* weight you got there...

eminenz2

Cathlete
I did my first XTrain workout today and I'm wondering this:

Well, first of all, I certainly couldn't lift 70% of anything! But I did lift heavy - 20 and 25 lbs on the chest work.

And I'm laying back there on my bench with these two HUGE pieces of metal in my eyeline and I'm wondering, "So if I work to failure and when my muscles finally give out, what are the chances of these things bashing my brains out?.. And who will hear my strangled cries (besides the dog?)?" :p :confused:

Anyone besides me afraid of dropping heavy weights on your head? Does that worry go away?

Yes, I've definitely thought this before. No way I'm going to let myself fail doing a pull over. I think I'd really miss having a face. :eek:

Barbara

I only do my heaviest work with my trainer spotting me. I have gone to failure and I really couldn't lift the barbell even one more time doing chest presses.

I'm usually home alone when I workout so this is a big concern. It is pretty frightening.

With x train using all dumbells I have a hard time even getting the dumbells up when starting chest press. I like using a barbell and my tower better for chest press.

Heavy stuff

I workout at home alone and the thought does not cross my mind often...

I did try chest press with a heavy Barbell (heavier than usual) in the past and got stuck underneath my barbell :rolleyes::rolleyes:.
No injury but I said to myself :"What on earth was I thinking"

Now I have a weight bench with catches so it won't happen:p
Those big loads do not frighten me:p:p:p
Working my way to them;)

20 pounds is the most I've ever used for pull-overs. And even that's a little worrisome. I suppose you could purchase a 20 or 25 pound weight plate just to get a better grip on it.

AND whoa! nckfitheart2009! What did you do when you got stuck? Was someone else in the house for help you?

Rescue!

20 pounds is the most I've ever used for pull-overs. And even that's a little worrisome. I suppose you could purchase a 20 or 25 pound weight plate just to get a better grip on it.

AND whoa! nckfitheart2009! What did you do when you got stuck? Was someone else in the house for help you?

As I live on my own, no partner/boyfriend to scream at for rescue, I relied on the strength of legs, pushing the barbell and embracing my abs tighter to avoid any interference with my spine ;):D:D

I have never been afraid of doing that with chest presses...but when I do overhead shoulder presses, or bicep curls, I can get concerned that sometime I might lose control and bash myself in the face or teeth...:(

I've found my elbows give out sooner than my chest does, esp at chest fly. That's another tricky one with heavy weights.

And in general, my left arm always gives out before the left.

I had a brain aneurysm while I was working out so nothing scares me any more. ☺ Sorry. I know that's only funny looking back now but I just HAD to post. And NO. Working out did NOT cause the aneurysm. I was probably born with a defective blood vessel. If anything, being a regular exerciser probably helped my recovery. In fact, even the doctors were amazed. So DON'T GIVE UP.

I love pull over on barbell because of the stretching feeling...Love it 24 pound is the heaviest I have lifted so far with good form. What worries me while doing them is not doing it correctly and getting the traps into play! As soon as I feel it I back off. So far happen once. I make sure I do not get too carried away in the range of motion. I tend not to go too far down...

This is a fear for me also, I'm also afraid that I will hit the wall or tv with my barbell when I carry it around. Doing triceps on your back with the barbell, I'm afraid of hitting my forehead with it. I've already fallen off my ball and tripped over my weight on the floor, stupid me leaving them spread out all over the place.

I haven't started my XTrain workouts yet but with my other Cathe workouts I always have and always will stick to a moderate to moderate-heavy range. I don't follow that rep max rules and that is one of the reasons why. Secondly my poor joints can't handle the repitition with that kind of weight anymore.

I've never had an issue getting the results I wanted whether it be physique or strength by sticking to a more moderate range. Safety first!

EDIT: I should clarify. I used to lift my heavest at home- that didn't last long. I dislocated my shoulder while doing a pull over (with muscle max) on the step bench. The bench didn't allow the full range of motion that I needed (the bench edges dug right into both shoulder blades behind the rotator cuff and caused a "sticking point" with each pull over about 3/4 the way into the move- basically the bench was too wide for this exercise and my anatomy). That along with the heavy weight caused my shoulder to dislocate somewhere in the second set of the exercise. Lesson learned big time. I only do pull overs now on a ball or weight bench and rarely use my step bench for lifting anymore. All it takes is one good injury to learn what not to do either (a) without a spotter and/or (b) without proper equipment.

Last edited:
Tri-grip plate

Hi Eminen,

You are right I have just purchased 10kg 22 pound plates.
The grip is comfortable and the range of motion is better.;)

For both pullovers and overhead triceps extensions, I am just not comfortable heaving more than 25 pounds over my head especially after my triceps are fried and I have to try to gently bring it down to a safe level. I bought a triceps bar that I know use for both of these moves. It allows me a better grip and then I can go heavier. The one I bought at Amazon is out of stock but they have other brands/styles.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.