Terri Schiavo Dies

I am hearbroken and my day definitely has a bit of added sadness for the family. I also agree that this is a sad day for our country when this sort of thing is allowed to happen.

I'm glad they're still fighting because if they suspect abuse, Sweet Little Michael will be thrown in jail with the big guys. If that happens, it will be a great day because he'll find out what abuse is in prison by other prisoners. There's something wrong with the situation and I don't trust the husband. Not at all. I know a lot of you pity Michael. I would not be surprised if someone tries to shoot him either. I wouldn't cry if he got shot either.

Lisa

Because the situation is politically charged. Ultimately, they are little more than pawns in a game and the media coverage is used to sway the court of public opinion, which has political ramifications; it's a means to an end.
Bobbi http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/chicken.gif "Chick's rule!"

Man improves himself as he follows his path; if he stands still, waiting to improve before he makes a decision, he'll never move.

-Paulo Coelho

I admire Terri's parents, brother and sister for standing up for her. We should all be so lucky to have parents like hers. Terri is not a "poor thing". She WAS an innocent human being who was an apparent burden to her so-called husband. If there was abuse as alledged, it should be gotten to the bottom of. Good Lord, death row prisoners get more careful consideration by the courts before being put to death by the state. I guess it's time to move on and watch the lawyers try to save Scott Peterson's life now. What a travesty.

Well, the only good that could possible come out of this is that maybe there will be some legislation and laws passed to protect people in Terry's condition.

They treat prisoners on death row better than they treated her. Prisoners on death row get every possible appeal they can and when, and if, they actually are put to death, they get a last meal and a lethal injection.

Animals aren't even starved to death when they have to be "put to sleep." The whole procedure sickens me.

I have been going back and forth on this issue for days. My heart breaks for her family and her. On the one hand, what kind of quality of life did she have? On the other hand, without a written piece of anything, how do we know she really did want to die? From what I have heard, there were more tests that could have been given to her to determine the extent of the brain damage but her husband refused them.

It sickens me that her parents were willing to take care of her and her husband (I use the word loosely) refused to divorce her and let the parents take care of her.

Oh well, I hope Terry is in a higher place.

> Terri is not a "poor thing". She WAS an innocent human being

Yes, she was an innocent human being, I agree...the term "poor thing" was not used with any disrespect intended. I am surprised it was even taken that way...:(

~Wendy~

I smoked my last cigarette on March 17, 2004 at 10:00 pm!

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?WENDYMIN

http://lilypie.com/days/050519/1/0/1/-5/.png[/img]
EDD: 05/19/05

You should be surprised, Wendy. Of course, we perceive her as a poor thing but the reality is that Terri was completely untouched by all of this. We project our own sorrow onto her and her tragic life. And that's the difference. We can.

Man improves himself as he follows his path; if he stands still, waiting to improve before he makes a decision, he'll never move.

-Paulo Coelho

What people forget is that Terri was not totally innocent in what happened. She was bulemic and she caused her condition by her own behavior. If any good comes out of this is that we remember to take care of our bodies and to leave our wishes of what to do in a situation like this writing so our families don't have to try to figure it out for us.

Edited to say, please speak for yourself. No, I would NOT consider myself lucky to have parents who made a spectacle of my life and death like they did hers. I want my wishes carried out and that would NOT be to lay in bed like a vegetable.

The media is despicable for turning this very personal matter into a media circus, spinning the facts to get better ratings for the TV programs and better sales for their publications. I refused to watch or read anything about it, only catching snippets of what was going on when I overheard someone at the office talk about it or when the news was on in the background while I was getting ready for work in the morning. It was NONE OF MY BUSINESS. It was nobody else's business but the family's. None of us knows the whole story about all that transpired, which means that none of us is in any position to judge anyone or anything that happened. To call Michael despicable when we don't even know the guy and are just going on what the immoral media spins out to us is despicable, IMO.

I side with neither Michael nor the parents. I side with Terri. Her soul is in a much better place now......and I am happy for her because of that.

(My apologies for being somewhat ill-tempered about this, but I just completely disagree with how the media played this very personal story to their advantage and manipulated the public.)

I am upset about the whole thing. Why was it such a public spectacle? This should have been a private family matter not a media circus.

I am so depressed. First Johnny Cochran then Terri. Gonna comfort myself with a snickers

I'm glad that SOMEONE sides/sided with Terri. It's a crime that the courts didn't, her husband and his creepy lawyer didn't and they effectively sentenced her to death. No one really knows if it was her wish to die. She never expressed her wishes in writing.

Just because some people wouldn't want to be kept alive under similar circumstances doesn't mean other people wouldn't. It's appalling that anyone, even her husband would presume to know her wishes unless specifically stated in writing. Seems as if this country has been shrouded in a culture of death. It's frightening.

And I agree, it's a media circus. But thank God the media are such vultures. Otherwise, Terri would have died the other times her feeding tube was pulled.

Will the coroner state Terri's cause of death as intentional starvation and dehydration or "natural causes"? Hmmm, or bulimia, which has never been proven either.

I hesitate to post on these threads, but I feel terrible about this case as well. I wish that the case could have been looked at with a "fresh set of eyes" so to speak. There were significant and fair questions raised about Terri's true condition and Michael's motives.

This case hits me personally as well.

In August of 2001, I gave birth to a little boy with Down's Syndrome.

In addition to down's and a heart defect, my little guy was unable to suck and was tube fed for the first year of his life. It was absolutely grueling--7 hours out of a 16 hour day were spent getting food into him (including pumping time and time spent cleaning equipment), but it never occured to me to deny him food and liquid.

I pray that we are not on a slippery slope with all this. In the future, will parents like me be urged for the greater good to let nature take its course?.....Do we want to waste precious insurance dollars on retarded children who will never contribute much to society? After all, who would want to live as a retard anyway? My little boy is 3 1/2 and barely speaks. Who would want to live without being able to communicate with others clearly? (sarcasm intended)

Oh I don't even know where I am going with this. I am just sick about this and sad and rambling.

Maggie

I'm keeping my opinions and feelings private on this case (it's moot now anyway) so all I have to say is that my hope for Terri that the peace that didn't surround her in life, surrounds her on this part of the journey.

It's just so sad in so many ways.

--Lois

"Don't forget to breathe!"

AMEN Maggie! I completely agree with you. Food and water is not "artificial life support".

I have a cousin who is on real artificial life support. She is clinically brain dead, on a respirator, doesn't open her eyes and is in a fetal position. I can understand letting someone go in that condition. But that is completely different than Terri's condition.

No one wants to live brain damaged of course, but that doesn't mean they should be starved to death and killed either.

<There's no way anyone outside of it can know the whole story, so I refused to form an opinion.>

I agree Donna! I can see and sympathize with both sides... as a mother, spouse, and nurse... but I am not privy to the intimate details of the story. I understand that Michael has moved on with his life in terms of starting a family. I agree this makes his actions suspect, but what if Michael he is carrying out Terri's wishes??? What if he honestly and sincerely is doing what she told him she would want under similar circumstances? None of us know.

Autumn

I always stay out of these things, because we are such a diverse group here, and also a very emotional compassionate group. It almost inevitable turns into a heated argument. Please don't flame me:-(

Not siding with either side, but i did indeed express to myself and put it in writing to my DH, that if he ever keeps me alive by such means, i will come back to haunt him. That is not living, and there is no sense of dignity. I want to go out the way people know me now, to remember they way i am now. WIll people remember the lively beautiful young Terri? No, they'll remember the public spectacle and the bedridden terri. Would she want to be remembered and pitied the way she is now??

I also expressed to my DH, if anything ever happened to me to move on, life is short and i wouldn't want him to be alone.

Not siding with the way she spent her final days, but just stressing how important it is to make your wishes known and in WRITING.
:-(

I've worked as a nurse for so many years, and have seen so many bedridden, nonresponsive patients, it is too sad and most of them would never want to live like that.

Nobody ever gets upset by the opinions of those who agree with them. In the end, there must be that agreement to disagree. We are not here to persuade anyone, only to state how we think, we feel, and we are entitled to do so without it becoming personal. Two diametrically opposed views can exist on the same page and a discussion is by definition an exchange of views, not an argument.

Terri's story has unfolded in such a way as it could and what we can know is limited. The truth is merely what each of us believes by virtue of interpretation of the facts; but we each decide which facts we believe. I feel no sense of loss or gain in Terri's death. I can only relate to Terri's story from my own perspective and in her place, I would not want to stay. It is a sorrowful tale but I choose to view her death as a release from the prison of a damaged brain. My consciousness is precious to me. In a sense, without it, I cease to exist. You may feel differently and more power to you, but my beliefs suit me very well.

-Paulo Coelho

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.