Tennis Elbow anyone??

firemedic

Cathlete
I just found out I have tennis elbow and it's never happened to me before. Dr says no lifting or any other activity that aggravates it for 2 weeks. If anyone has had this, can I do resistance bands? I cannot imagine not lifting for 2 weeks but if I have to then I will. I just don't want to get muscle weakness. Any ideas or help?

Thanks
Kim

Hi Kim - so sorry to hear. I have gotten it a few times & it is not fun! I have seen a physical therapist in the past for it and I also have done exercises from physical therapist on YouTube that I found helpful. It depends how bad it is. I've had it extremely bad where I had no choice but to rest it and I've also had it where I could still lift weights but if anything or anyone even came close to barely touching my elbow it would be sensitive. Of course I'm not a dr. & YouTube is not for everyone (before I get blasted from anyone), it's just what I did & helped me. From seeing a physical therapist & knowing the exercises, I do them regularly now just to try & keep it at bay because if I don't, it does come back. If you can't get to a physical therapist and just want to see what's on YouTube, the exercises are easy. It might seem too simple to work, but they work if you are consistent along with ice. The two that I watched are Dr. Jo
and Bob&Brad
Hope you find relief soon!!!

Thank you so much. I did Cathe's new extended lying stretch this morning and at the end, the forearm stretches really made it feel better and after just watching Dr. Jo's video, I see why. I will try all these. It's been sore a little while now and I don't think I've relaxed it enough, I just hate stopping things or asking for help doing things. Hopefully this will help.

In the past I've had tennis elbow and even golfer's elbow for quite awhile. I used the simple saying "if it hurts don't do it" and that rest proved to make all the difference. It takes patience . . .
I understand patience. I had a rotator cuff repair and was in a sling for 2 months. THAT SUCKED!!!! But when I was able to do physical therapy on my own, I did it, did it right, and took my time and because I didn't push it, my dr. said I healed really fast. I just hate having injuries.

I work in an orthopedic office and we see a fair amount of tennis and golfer's elbow. Usually it is the result of overuse or lifting too heavy. Give it time to heal,it usually takes anywhere from 6-12 months. Topical anti inflammatory creams can help, as well as a brace. You can order the tennis elbow brace online or find in the store. If those do not help "platelet poor" PRP will, but it is a painful injection and not covered by insurance.

Similar to what @snowlover said, I just follow my body's cues. I've found that I have to avoid upper body barbell work because it was killing my elbows, something about the limited range of elbow motion with the barbell. Once I realized that and switched to dumbbells only, haven't had a problem since.

I switched to dumbbells years ago for other reasons but I really prefer it for lifting. I know exactly when I hurt my elbow. I was a one time thing that I didn't know was heavier than before. I buy Evian 1 Liter bottles of water for my husband at Sam's club. I usually do the click-n-pull so it's ready for me when I get there. This time when I went, I didn't know they switched the bottles to 1.5 Liters, so the box was 6 Liters heavier due to this. I didn't know and when I went to pick it up out of the cart is when I hurt it. That was about 3-4 weeks ago. I know I didn't rest it like I was suppose to but it's hard when your left handed and that is the injured elbow. But last week I, I decided I just have to listen to my body and stop doing stupid stuff. So I'm trying to do more right handed, which my dogs hate because I cannot throw a ball right handed:rolleyes:, and no lifting weights at all. I'm doing a lot of stretching, the thera band, and a few other moves that have really been helping. But like everyone else here, I just hate getting sidelined and I hate having to ask my husband to do things for me. I'm adjusting and already feeling better, haven't had any sharp pains in 2 days, so it's working. Thanks for all the advice from everyone.

Hi Kim - so sorry to hear. I have gotten it a few times & it is not fun! I have seen a physical therapist in the past for it and I also have done exercises from physical therapist on YouTube that I found helpful. It depends how bad it is. I've had it extremely bad where I had no choice but to rest it and I've also had it where I could still lift weights but if anything or anyone even came close to barely touching my elbow it would be sensitive. Of course I'm not a dr. & YouTube is not for everyone (before I get blasted from anyone), it's just what I did & helped me. From seeing a physical therapist & knowing the exercises, I do them regularly now just to try & keep it at bay because if I don't, it does come back. If you can't get to a physical therapist and just want to see what's on YouTube, the exercises are easy. It might seem too simple to work, but they work if you are consistent along with ice. The two that I watched are Dr. Jo
and Bob&Brad
Hope you find relief soon!!!
These YouTube videos has helped me a lot too

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.