Tattoos

Bonne

I have been thinking about getting a tattoo, but I am a little nervous,how do you know if the tattoo parlor is really clean/sterile, what are some things that I should look for or ask before having one done??? I plan to check a few places out first, but I am not really sure what to look for or what to ask about...thanks in advance for any advice...

Bonne

I think this is a really big step. Aren't there henna tattoos that last only a couple of weeks? I would recommend trying one of these out first to see if you really want to live with it.

I know this wasn't the question, but I can't help but chime in. I have a friend who is a travel agent. She had a tatoo and liked it well enough until she started going on work travel vacations and didn't like the responses she was getting from her peers. She had it removed and it left a big ugly scar that won't tan. OF course, this was all years ago. Maybe if she'd been older when she decided to get it, or maybe now they can be removed better...

Good luck with your tattoo. Jeanne

I believe there is an association of tattoo artists or something like that. If you are recommended by them you are supposed to be a good, clean, honest establishment. Kinda like AAA for car mechanics. I might be mistaken but you might want to check on that.
Also, know what body parts are gonna hurt more and have more blood involved.
Where are you getting it put on? Is it large or small? Involve more than one visit?
I'd get it where it cannot be seen by anyone unless you want them to see it. Such as lower back or low on the hips(or even lower! lol!) I find that very sexy to be honest. But just remember that you will have to grow old with that tat......
Good luck!
Trevor :) :-jumpy

Hi Bonne,

Try this link for some info:

http://www.bme.freeq.com/tattoo/getagood.html

Me & my husband went on Memorial Day to get tattoos...I lost my nerve ;-)but he did not, he got my name tattooed on his upper left arm and he loves it (and I'm also quite flattered by it!) And yes, it did hurt, but just the initial stroke, after that he said it was not so bad. Visit a few shops, to check out how clean they are, and also to see how friendly/knowledgeable the staff are. When we went, a lot of people came into the shop "just looking", so don't feel pressured to pick a design and rush into anything.

Hope this helped, good luck! :)
Michelle

Don't do it. Think about when you're 60 or 70, how stupid it will look.

I'm sorry, I hate tatoos, just hate them. I've never seen one that I thought looked good on anyone.

I would do research on the increased possibility of contracting hepatitis by getting a tatoo before you do it. Especially if you are considering having children. Good luck.

I have two tattoos, one on each upper arm. What to think about:

1) Where are you going to put it? Don't put it on fleshy parts (butt, breasts, etc). It will get ugly as that body part sags. The closer to bone the area is, the more it will hurt. Yes, it does hurt in the beginning but the endorphins kick in after a minute or so.

2) Check the needles. How do they sterilize them? I went to a place that made their own needles, had an autoclave and had the needles in pouches that turned a certain color to show they were sterilized. Make sure they pour out all the dyes before they get started (prevents cross-contamination) and use sterile cups. Make sure they DO NOT reuse needles!!!

3) Once you have a tattoo, don't expose it to sunlight or use sunblock. You see all those people with green and blurry tattoos? That is sun damage!!!

4) Don't get anything that is "in" right now. Will it be in in 50 years?!

Feel free to e-mail me if you have any other questions!!

Marcia

Marcia has some great points. Really make sure you want them. I have 2 and I'm very happy to have them.
I went to places that I could watch them open up the brand new needles, and they wore gloves to protect themselves.
Mine are fairly small, and one can be easliy covered if I want. I also make sure I put sunscreen on them even more than any other part of my skin.
I thought about gettign tattos for several years before I got them. And I was in my late 20's before I got them also.
Just make sure you really want one, cause unless you want to pay thousands of $$$ to remove it, and that's not always effective, you're stuck with them.

Get your belly button pierced instead! It hurts like he!! the first month but it sure is sexy!

I have a tatoo, don't like it anymore & am thinking of getting it changed (a new tat over the old one). It didn't hurt MUCH(on my ankle). But I get a lot of "Oh, I didn't realize you were that type," comments. And what exactly is "that type" if you don't mind my asking.

I say go for it but CHOOSE VERY CAREFULLY!

Hey Deb!
I bet that does hurt! And I often wonder how you keep from getting that caught in clothing! I know stupid thought right?
I do agree that the belly button piercing looks incredibly sexy on a well toned set of abs.
I didn't realize you were the type either!!...You know, a beer swilling babe on the back of a motorcycle!! lol! I am kidding of course.....some people still carry those old stereotypes about tattoos but I think it's great that you did what you wanted regardless. Very hot!! :)
Trevor

My very trim and toned teenage daughter has a belly-button piercing. I freaked at first, she did it about 18 months ago, but I have to admit it looks fantastic.
Trevor, clothes don't get stuck on it because the ends are covered by smoothe little balls. And now that it's summer, clothes don't cover it very often anyway.

I got mine on my lower back and though it was quite painful, I haven't ever regretted it. I like this area as it is easily coverable if you need to cover it. Even a swim suit will hide it - most likely a one peice, but a tankini will do the job too.

I also have a belly button ring and got my nose peirced at one time (I let that one go) neither hurt anywhere near as bad as the tattoo - nose was less pain than ears and belly wasn't bad. The recovery is a little icky - it peeled and was really dry but no problems at all now. If you do go this route, be very cautious if you are sensitive to metals. (be cautious anyways!!) And in response to the question about it catching on things - I never have had a problem. (keep in mind too - if you have any surgery reequiring anethesiology, the ring must come out but you can put it back in afterwards. I hear giving birth will require the removal as well - most likely the pregnancy term too!)

Best wishes! I hope I didn't scare you away from tattos! There's some really awesome designs out there, choose carefully!

I would think about a piercing before a tattoo - you can always remove the jewlery, but that tattoo is harder to get rid of.

I have had 3 body piercings - both nipples and belly button. This was before I had children. The nipple rings didn't last past bf my first child (if that was TMI - sorry!). But the bellybutton is still intact after 2 pregnancies! I changed the jewlery with the 1st pg, but didn't bother with the 2nd. And yes - it does look great with my toned abs!

Whatever you do - I'm sure you'll look great!

I have a tattoo also. I have a butterfly on my left ankle. I was also able to see the guy open a new set of needles and dispose of the needles when he was finished. He made me watch as it was something they do with everyone he said. The place I went only gave tattoos to 18 and over and if they knew you had been drinking, they would not give the tattoo. Also, if you were to pass out, they would have to revive you before proceeding. In other words you had to be of age, sober, and awake. :) I chose a butterfly out of a book and the guy did from free hand. He was very proud of it and even took a picture to hang on the wall. I did not think that it hurt very badly at all and it did not bleed hardly at all. The guy giving the tattoo said they are capable of making it hurt more if they want. It depends on how deep they put it. So you want to be on good terms with this guy before he gets started. :) I did not get my tattoo until I was in my 30s and I really like it. As for the sun messing it up, I've never experienced that. I've had my tattoo for probably 4 years now and it is still just as pretty as the day I got it. Just do not go swimming in a pool very soon as the chlorine will rinse out the color if you get a colored one and I was told not to go to a tanning booth for a while.

Hi Bonne,

Like everyone else said, just make sure you want it. I have my belly pierced and a tattoo on my lower back. I don't regret either one, but I would suggest getting one where if you don't want someone to see it, you can easily hide it - that is why I chose my lower back.

As far as cleanliness goes, ask around your area, others with tattoos will happily recommend a clean, sterile place to go. Everything should be newly opened and sterilized, the person should be wearing gloves. Most places you go, you will have to make an appointment, so you can go in advance and check it out.
Just remember choose wisely, it will be there always! Good luck and tell us what you choose!

Lisa

>Hey Deb!
>I bet that does hurt! And I often wonder how you keep from getting that caughtin clothing! I know stupid thought right?.....
>I didn't realize you were the type either!!...You know, a beer
>swilling babe on the back of a motorcycle!! lol! "

Hey Trev! Not a stupid question, if it's a ring in the belly button, there isn't much of a problem getting it caught in clothes, but I have worn a "barbell" type stud & that can get snagged if not VERY, VERY careful.

And the beer swilling, nah, but back of the motorcycle? OH YEAH!!! My DH & I ride whenever we get the chance!

Just had to respond to you before heading off to work. Take care!

"You have within you more resources of energy than have ever been tapped, more talent than has ever been exploited, more strength than has ever been tested, and more to give than you have ever given". John Gardner

Hi. This is interesting to me since I just returned from the beach where I got my first tattoo. I am 29 and have considered it for years. I thought about it since college. I asked around for a place from some of the locals. My husband and I both got one. Mine is an original design that I created myself. It is very abstract and colorful. The place used new needles and gloves. The floor was spotless and the people were friendly but obviously really into tattoos and such. I got mine on my lower back and it is covered by clothing. I had a tan line and asked that he not go above the line. I am happy with it and don't expect to regret it. It is in an area that will never see the sun. I won't lie. It did hurt and it took about 30 minutes to complete. For me, it hurt the whole time. My husband's design didn't take as long but he said his hurt in some spots more than others. His is on his ankle. Give yourself time to consider it and decide. Try something small maybe in a well hidden area and just see if you like it. I don't care what people might think of it as it is my body, my money, and my decision. When I am 80, I hope it is still there to remind me of a time when I was daring and chose to do something different with no regard for what others might think of me. I hope at 80, my tattoo is the worst of my worries. I think the best thing is to ask around and find out the place that is most recommended. Go in and look around before diving in. I went in and looked and then came back later. Have fun.

I love my tattoo... I put it in a place where no one will see it unless I want them to - it's in the center of my upper back between my shoulder blades.

-Definitely put heavy sunblock on it when exposed to the sun.
-Don't worry about the pain - it may sting at first but if you relax your body and BE SURE TO BREATHE you won't feel the pain anymore.
-Don't let anyone else tell you not to do it (unless it's your mother... i just didn't tell mine) ;-) That's just THEIR opinion. If you want it and you're ready to have it there forever then go for it. Personally I don't look at it as big a deal as other do. Permanent flesh stain? For the rest of my life? Ah so what?!? Bring it on!
Sometimes I forget it's there and when I step out of the shower and turn around to check the status of my behind (like say after PH) I see it and am just glad I put that little lizard on my back.

Hi there!

I got my first tatoo last May. I got it on my lower back and I don't regrett it for a minute. It wasn't a spontaneous decision. I have wanted one since I was 18 and finally got around to it at 25. It really does hurt because it is a bony area, and it has a lot of black detail (which really hurts, but they did the black first and the rest didn't feel that bad). I asked people that I knew who had tatoos where they went and if they were pleased. I called them and asked a lot of questions and they were extremely helpful. I say just go for it. Think long and hard of what you want and a place where you can live with it. In fact, I am thinking of getting tatoo #2 on my foot. Good luck!

Christine

I've had mine for a few years too and absolutely love it. I have a small Disney dalmation, just the head, about 2 inches tall on the back of my left shoulder. I also forget its there sometimes.

My mom was shocked at first, but my Grandma made the best comment and now my mom loves it:

Mom: What are you going to do when your 70?
Grandma butted in: It's on the back of her shoulder, she doesn't have to look at it!

Gotta love Gram!

Anyway, a friend of mine who made a tattoo mistake (didn't like what he got) suggested you put a picture of what you want on your mirror or someplace you'll see a lot. Keep it there for a year, if you get sick of that picture, it probably should be on your body!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.