Tall People -- Are You Good at Push-Ups?

"It can be done, because tall guys do them all the time"

We really cannot make this comparison with men here. They have superior upper body muscle mass and strength. I would expect them to have an easier time of it with push-ups.

Clare

And I agree. I can do loads on my knees, but not a single one on my toes. Ity doesn't matter how heavy I can lift for chest. Push ups are another category altogether and I do think that height, plus body type (Cathe's mesomorph versus my ectomorph), make a difference.

Clare

I think I would disagree with the above statement about form being the main issue. I also do personal training and group fitness and the tall women are usually at a disadvantage when it comes to pushups, even when they use perfect form. Men will almost always find it easier because they have so much more upper body strength than women so it's not really fair to compare the 2.

Another factor to consider is the cross section fibers of muscles in tall vs. short people. I've read that shorter people tend to have a much greater occurance of cross section fibers in the muscles making them stronger. My sister and I are a great example of this. She is 5'4 and I'm 5'7. She can almost always lift heavier than me even though I focus more on weight training than she does. Of course, in order to lift the same weight, I have more space to cover than she does so I'm also at a mechanical disadvantage as well. This example definitely applies to pushups as well. I consider myself fairly tall and pushups are just impossible for me. I work on form, I work on gaining strength and my progress is extremly slow. I think it has a lot to do with overcoming my biomechanics more than anything. I also have large breasts which I'm sure makes it harder as well. Also, consider the posture of each person. I have found that the greater the lordosis of the person's spine, the more difficult it is for them to have a flat back with pushups. People with naturally flat backs find themselves using better form with PU's not because they are stronger or better but because their body is designed better for that activity.

Some people's bodies are just designed better for some activities over others. For example, I'm really great at balance exercises and yoga type poses. It's not because I work on them, it's because I'm better designed for them so I don't need to focus on that as much. Someone with poor balance isn't inferior to me, they just have different strenths and weaknesses. So they would need to work on those weaknesses just like I need to work on pushups.

Carolyn

I'm 5'10, and have been working on these for the past six weeks because of a challenge on another board. I can do 50 on my toes in two sets of 25. I cannot go all the way down, and it hurts to do them this way. I also get a better chest workout when I do them on my knees. The 72 in GS C&T - I feel them more when I do all 72 on my knees. Makes no sense to me to struggle to do them on my toes. I will continue to try just because I'd love to be able to drop and push out 50 push ups in perfect form - it would look sooo cool...

Now planks - those I can hold with little to no problem. Okay, maybe the 2 minute plank at the end of Core Max seg #1 gets to me, but I can hold it. I've heard that if you have strong abs, pushups are easier. I have very strong abs, and I still struggle. I agree that it's body type. Some of us are better at some things than others. For me - I have very strong legs and can kick with the force of a small shetland pony (according to some guys in my self defense class who won't spar with me anymore).

So.... what about Tuck jumps - can any of you tall chicks manage those very well? I dont see how I will ever do a good tuck jump, certainly not as high as Cathe can. I don't think it is possible at 5'11".... I can't get good enough hang time to get my knees all the way up and back down before I crash.... hehe....

Thank you all for posting. I REALLY feel vindicated now! I always concentrate on keeping my core tight and my back straight, but push-up progress for me is tortoiselike.

I agree about the advantages we tall people have doing speed skaters and side-to-side cardio lunges. The jump-the-length-of-the-step moves in Imax3 are much easier as well.

At 6'1" I totally suck at pushups. I also feel like they are working better when on my knees. I always say to myself that pushups on my knees probably feel as hard as pushups on toes for Cathe!

One more thing about guys. Their center of gravity is in their chest. Ours is in our hips. My science teacher did a cool experiment to teach us that. It was something about bending at the waist and the guys couldn't lift back up because they had so much more weight to lift. I wish I could remember exactly what it was.

Andrea

Hoorah!! That explains it! I'm 5'9" and can not do pushups from my toes. Now I know why. It makes sense based on what some of the other posters have stated, as well. Short people tend to get more mass much easier than tall (even Arnold is under 6 feet!). I agree that taller, longer folks have easier times with balance and certain types of movement (love yoga - I can stand in tree pose all day and I'm told I'm very bendy). Well, something to aim for either way!!

Sooooooooosan...quit whining.....I would think you would be satisfied holding the world record for pullups, but NO you want to beat us all in pushups now }( }( :p :p :p

Briee

That's right! My goal in life is to beat the fitness achievements of everyone on this board and I will not rest until I've reached it. This post of mine was just a ploy to get people to cough up information for my database.

Knowledge is, after all, power.}(

Carolyn -

Here's your scenario as a personal trainer - a client comes to you, height it 5'10", and she wants to join the Marines. This is her goal in life, and will NOT accept not achieving her goal. She says to you, "I can't do push-ups - I want you to help me so I can pass the physical test which REQUIRES that I do push-ups on my toes."

What is your training plan for her?

Just Do It! :)

This is an interesting scenario. As a trainer and as a person who works out, I understand the importance of goals. I also understand the importance of those goals being attainable. The trick is to figure out what is attainable and what isn't. In the military, there are different requirements depending on the age and sex of the person. Women are required to do a certain amount of a given exercise, but it is usually less than the requirements of the men. (In the Marines, I believe they use the term "physical readiness test" for their fitness evaluations, but I'm not sure).

Also, I'm not sure if Marines require pushups(like the Army does), or if they require pullups, which may be the case.
So, if MAIN goal is to join the Marines with pushups being the defining factor, I would do my best to progress them to meet the minimal standard necessary.

This means taking the person from where they are(wall pushup,all fours,etc) and progressing them in the shortest time possible to a full pushup without injury. This can be tricky and would come at a price of not getting a full body workout because the workout would have to be so focused. I would make sure the upper back is strong to counteract the exercise so for each chest exercise, I would do an upper back one. I would also add core work to make sure they can stabalize themselves during the movements. I think that adding some plank work(on the forearms and the hands) would be really helpful. Side planks may also help to activate the Serratus Anterior which will help with good form.

IMO, the only way to progress with pushups is to do pushups. This may require working the person to extreme muscle fatigue(like getting them to add one pushup every or every other workout, or doing as many pushups on the toes and then doing as many possible on the kness,etc). But like any resistance training, rest is necessary, so this goal may take quite awhile if it's going to happen.

I wouldn't promise the client that it could be done though. I would only promise to do what I could to help progress them to their fullest potential. This may mean that the goal is unattainable, but I would do my best to be honest and upfront about it from the beginning. I'm not sure this answered your question but it's what I came up with off the top of my head. Would you change anything or do anything differently? Just wondering.:)

Carolyn

I would have a few points to add because I've spent the last day or so researching this. I don't have it in written form yet, but will do it ASAP.
Just Do It! :)

Ok, big time shortie here, but............

Pushups are hard for me too!!! Ok, I think I have normal length arms but my big prob is a high amount of muscle mass in my legs. I don't think my upper body can take it! Plus, I think my core sucks. Anyway, the best I was ever able to get to was 13 with P90X which rocked when it came to upping your push up strength. LOVE LOVE LOVE it. But ya gotta be in good shape to embark on it.

I have a really hard time swimming too......my legs just want to drop strait down into the water. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to keep them up and kickin'!! LOL!! I know there must be a way!!

Can't wait for Honeybunch to post on the science...:)

This is NO JOKE Catheites. She has the database, she has the knowledge, she HAS the power. She most DEFINITELY has the drive. She's probably even got bicep veins which she will only reveal at the opportune time. She keeps careful records of your fitness achievements and just when you think you're getting close to your goals...a snaffooo occurs. She strategically sends destruction your way....... various strains of virus' and flu's, family struggles, problems on the job, UFO disappearances (okay that ones only a theory - but I can back it up).

I KNOW....because it just happened again to me. The past three weeks I've been in the most kick butt, slow and heavy, GS, P90X heavy weight rotation I've ever entered into and just when I could FEEL that bicep vein popping...bang...it hit me. An intestinal flu like no other. Who else would have sent this, but Susan. She's evil!! BEWARE.

Amazingly I still like her. Go figure.

Briee

Just saw Janice's post.

I think it's your boob's girl. I KNOW because I can do lots of pushups, but I'm flat - I might even be negative flat...my pecs stick out over them. Now there's a scientific theory for ya!!

Briee

Meant to add....nobody's NATURALLY good at pushups. Loads of hard work!! As you are doing them keep chanting "I love pushups, I love pushups, I love pushups". Somehow this never worked for me in regards to yoga....but pushups, yep it worked for pushups.;) ;) ;) .

Briee, I do believe people can be "naturally good at push-ups" just as people can be "natural athlethes." It might take a lot of work to win the U.S. Open or the Tour de France, but the natural ability is there. Certain fitness goals of mine have been more easily achieved than others, and push-ups have been the most elusive. Yoga poses come much more naturally to me because of my body type.

I'll try your chanting idea next time!

I've missed you too!:) Maybe we can start another ecto (or maybe hard gainer?) check-in. With all the new people around here, there's bound to be a bunch of us.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.