Supine tri extensions vs seated overhead extensions:

Aquajock

Cathlete
Which work better for you? Which position makes you feel like the tris are working harder? Explain your answer! Am very interested in everyone's comments!

Love,

A-Jock

Supine triceps extensions seem to be more effective for me, and they are more enjoyable to boot.

I think the supported position allows me to focus more on the move, and to really put a 'squeeze' on the triceps muscles without feeling I'm possibly overstretching the shoulder area.

There is more room for the arms to move in different planes (ie: cross-body triceps extensions) and with different angles (start with hands in neutral at bottom, then turn to prone at top of move) without worrying about my head getting in the way!

I can also more easily self spot or do forced negative reps in this position.

It's a great position for super-setting: do lying dumbell tri extensions until you can't continue with good form, then finish off with tricep bench presses.

I also have to say that I have a particular fondness for this exercise vs. overhead extensions, as, back in the day when I was working out in the college weight room, the supine barbell triceps extension was the first exercise that brought any definition to that area for me (I'd previously been doing tricep pressdowns and overhead extensions, but didn't see the results until I added the lying extensions).

Last edited:
I like supine tricep extensions better too. I just have better form, better range of motion, and I can go much heavier using a barbell.

Overhead tricep extensions are my go-to tricep move. I hate working triceps and can never use much weight, but at least with overhead extensions I have hefted more than 20 pounds......

Tricep kickbacks and cross body extensions never seem to accomplish much to me and I can never put much welly behind them. Skull crushers or French press I can feel working, but 20 pounds is about the max ever for me on that move.

The problem for me with triceps is that they get used in other upper body moves and core/plank work and so they are already pre-fatigued when I get to them and so I can never achieve much with them and never have any fun training them....except with overheads.

Clare

Are you talking about skull crushers? Love 'em! Not so wild about the overhead thingies. I still think that dips work them best, though.

I prefer the supine for reasons mentioned above ... but I make myself do the overhead version, and nearly always substitute it. That's because the overhead version is closer to what I end up having to do on an airplane with my luggage (getting heavy items in/out of an overhead compartment).

It's good practice for me from a functional standpoint to regularly think through my form in handling overhead weights without having to worry about elbowing or dropping items on other passengers :D

Plus, I'm sitting all day at my job on weekdays - when I can substitute a standing move for a supine or seated position, I often do.

those two exercises seem to work tris differently, harder to stabilize on the supine for me, don't really prefer one over the other....the tri pushups in CTX were really hard, couldn't do 'em...narrow pushups are the hardest tri exercises...but it works them good...I like kickbacks and really work harder on those than bicep curls....I'm always thinking the tris need to catch up.....:eek:.....and they never do...:(

Linda

I agree with supine for the reasons previously listed. I like kickbacks the best as well, I have a harder time with dips b/c I just don't have enough strength to push myself up.

I prefer supine extensions to overhead extensions.

When I do overheads, I feel like my neck and upper trapezius muscles feel all scrunched up and it is hard to concentrate fully on my triceps. The neck area is just uncomfortable. I keep wondering if I am going to feel a muscle strain or something later. This is partially alleviatated by doing overheads with the dumbbell placed horizontally and each hand holding a thick end of the dumbbell, as in ME, as opposed to both hands hodling the same end together.

(I tend towards neck and upper back strains with shoulder overhead presses too. This is also alleviated by using dumbbells, not a barbell, and allowing each arm to move in its own plane. Palms facing in position also seems to help with upper back issues.)

Unlike a previous poster I can really feel the cross body supine extensions the most. I love this position!

With reference to other tricep exercises, I am not real into kickbacks, but love tricep dips. I have started holding a barbell on my lap when I do them. Just like the good old days.

Here's a tricep question. Do I understand Cathe's comment in GS triceps correctly--Is the upper part of the tricep, the part high up by the shoulder, zeroed in on when you are at the lower end of the movement and are moving the dumbbell away from your ears up into the air? ANd if so, do you think you could focus in on this area by doing low pulses in that downward position??

If you have trouble with straight tri pushups, try them on the ball for a modification. Since I hurt my shoulder, I have only been able to do them on the ball and it really works well.

Last edited:
If you have trouble with straight tri pushups, try them on the ball for a modification. Since I hurt my shoulder, I have only been able to do them on the ball and it really works well.
I assume you mean knees on the ball, and not hands on the ball ('cuz the latter move is much more challenging!)

I ditto everything Kathryn wrote! Supine over Seated O/H is my vote & for all ths same reasons.

Supine triceps extensions seem to be more effective for me, and they are more enjoyable to boot.

I think the supported position allows me to focus more on the move, and to really put a 'squeeze' on the triceps muscles without feeling I'm possibly overstretching the shoulder area.

There is more room for the arms to move in different planes (ie: cross-body triceps extensions) and with different angles (start with hands in neutral at bottom, then turn to prone at top of move) without worrying about my head getting in the way!

I can also more easily self spot or do forced negative reps in this position.

It's a great position for super-setting: do lying dumbell tri extensions until you can't continue with good form, then finish off with tricep bench presses.

I also have to say that I have a particular fondness for this exercise vs. overhead extensions, as, back in the day when I was working out in the college weight room, the supine barbell triceps extension was the first exercise that brought any definition to that area for me (I'd previously been doing tricep pressdowns and overhead extensions, but didn't see the results until I added the lying extensions).

Supine extensions are much more difficult for me, as well as cross-body. For both of these moves, I struggle to keep my elbows really still.

With overhead extensions, I often wonder if the work is being distributed evenly between the two hands, so I usually switch hand positions from one set to the next. Definitely easier for me to keep good form than with supine extensions.

Hmmmm.... I think lying down seem to be more challenging for me. Maybe there's more of a gravitational pull? Probably not... it's psychological. Gravity is gravity. Maybe it's the thought that if I don't push that weight up, it's landing on my face. Anyway, it's the position I prefer... my favorite tricep exercise.

Just one thing to add about the supine tricep work: in that position, you can work on a decline and/or get in a position with the elbows back a bit, angling upper arm back, so there is constant tension on the triceps, thus making them do more work.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.