super tight hamstrings?

Candiceena

Cathlete
Hi girls

I have noticed the last few days my hamstrings feel extremely tight.

I have been trying to stretch them throughout the day but to no avail?

Any suggestions? I'm open to anything...I have a foam roller and tried to "roll" my hamstrings but I don't think I did it right.

Any good DVD segments that might help? What muscles do I need to strengthn to avoid this?

PS: I hope I'm talking about the right muscle...its the large one on the back of my thigh.

Hi Candiceena,

I've always dealt with this problem as well. It seems my hamstrings have always been stronger than my quads, and anytime I work my butt or hamstrings they get super worked up. I'm always thinking, settle down hamstrings! Gosh!

Anyway, maybe try the foam rolling again? It's by far the best thing that's worked for me. If you've been doing both legs at the same time, you can try doing one at a time to get more weight on it, and make sure you go really slow and pay attention, so that you can zero in on where the tight spots are.

Aside from that, I do a few things.

I stretch regularly (after workouts, but also every morning and every night). I do a modified sun salutation series, and I believe it's that regular stretching that keeps things loosened up, before I even get to my workouts. After a workout, I never do only the stretch presented at the end of the dvd. To me they are completely insufficient. So I will do the stretching in the dvd, then also do my modified sun salutation series, then I do the 'standing stretch' series that's found in the 'Squeeze' workout dvd. If you want to try either of these let me know and I can give you the details. (I know you like barre workouts though so if you don't have Squeeze yet, get it! :))

I also walk to work every day (4 miles total) and I definitely notice on days that I don't, that I'm quite a bit tighter. I think getting that warmth in my legs (without it being an actual strenuous workout) helps to keep things loose.

Years ago I had a knee injury and I was told that my hamstrings were outbalancing my quads, but since then I've strengthened my quads quite a bit and I don't know, maybe it's improved some but I still definitely get the tight hamstrings despite my improvements in quad strength. Maybe they're still imbalanced.

This is a pretty long post, so I hope something somewhere in there helps you out! I know how frustrating tight hammies can be!

Katherinemarie - thank you for responding. I will try the foam roller again and I'll definitely check out the Squeeze DVD. I am so jealous too that you are able to walk to work! I love love love walking...it just feels so good for me, but unfortunately, I do not have the option to walk to many places (grocery store, work, etc). I mean, I can go on a walk..but anyway, thats off topic haha.

Anyway, I'll def try the foam roller again and also I am going to try and incorporate more stretches. I found a really nice stretch/yoga routine on Pinterest that says it's for desk workers so I think I will be trying that out. :)

You know what else is almost better than a foam roller? A good old fashioned rolling pin - the kind your grandma had, with the handles. Not the ones today that are a solid piece of wood. If you lie down on the floor and put your leg in the air, use that rolling pin up and down the ham. Helps a lot. I have the same problem, and this tip came from my PT. HTH.

I have recently learned from a very well educated personal trainer that I am working with that weak glute muscles can cause tight hamstrings so work on strengthening your bum! ;) In addition, he is also a huge proponent of the foam roller but very rarely suggests actually STRETCHING the hamstrings.

That's what I have to offer on this topic. Take it or leave it! :p:)

YOGA - it will stretch the hamstrings, your hip flexors, your buttocks (not just your butt, but the portions that sweep out around your hip) - pigeon pose is great for that, your quads, etc. It will do wonders for you.
Another great DVD to start with is the new core conditioning and stretch DVD from Karen Voight. It's really great stretches and is broken into four short sections, so you can just focus on the 12 minutes for lower body. Excellent stretches.

YOGA - it will stretch the hamstrings, your hip flexors, your buttocks (not just your butt, but the portions that sweep out around your hip) - pigeon pose is great for that, your quads, etc. It will do wonders for you.
Another great DVD to start with is the new core conditioning and stretch DVD from Karen Voight. It's really great stretches and is broken into four short sections, so you can just focus on the 12 minutes for lower body. Excellent stretches.
I second that on yoga. I used to have really tight hamstrings. They were so tight they would burn. I can definitely tell a difference since I started incorporating more yoga into my weekly routine. I also try to make an effort at work to get up and walk around every 5-10 minutes.

Warm the area then stretch, be sure to get enough fats in your diet. I supplement with a good fish oil and evening primrose oil. I have noticed the most improvement in my flexibility from that.

Slowly work at stretching them after your workouts. I have gained quite a bit more flexibility this way. It has taken a long time and patience. I also am a big proponent of massage. Find a therapist that does sports related work and will stretch you as well. I love mine. She is amazing. Good luck! I hope you feel better soon! I know when mine were really bad I had to rest them totally and just do upper body stuff in order to let them heal. I slowly started back in and would wrap them after, ice them and elevate. Worked wonders. Like I said though, it took time and patience.

I have recently learned from a very well educated personal trainer that I am working with that weak glute muscles can cause tight hamstrings so work on strengthening your bum! ;) In addition, he is also a huge proponent of the foam roller but very rarely suggests actually STRETCHING the hamstrings.

That's what I have to offer on this topic. Take it or leave it! :p:)

Yes, this is true!

My message therapist used to tell me that my lower back problems were caused by weak glutes which could also cause tight hamstrings. I guess the glutes are the root of all evil :mad::D;).

FWIW, since I've been working my glutes hard :D my lower back feels much better and my hamstrings feel great :).

Natasha

Maybe weak hip flexors are to blame

Wow, so many different ideas out there. Very interesting.

This is a new one for me. Saw it yesterday on Dr. Oz. He had a guest who said that tight hamstrings are due to weak hip flexors. He said that our hamstrings get tight as a protection mechanism, to counter the effect of weak hip flexors. He showed some sample exercises to strengthen the hip flexors, like lying on your back with one leg up, and pushing your hands against the quad of that leg as resistance for the hip flexors. For me, I really feel my hip flexors work during certain core moves like in & outs, side-lying raises, scissor kicks, etc. I'd rather do those than the exercises he showed, but to each her own.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.