suggested alternate exercises for lunges...HELP

dlgrosen5

today i'm on meso 1 disk 5 (back/triceps), but after completing the legs DVD last week, i realize that i am unable to do several of the exercises b/c of bunion issues. i have a full gym in the garage so have come up with some alternates for this week's lunges, but would love real experienced advice on substitute exercises if anyone has info to share.

i can do side lunges and even walking lunges, though, not too deep. but cannot do front or back lunges or any of cathe's moves that involve these directions.

my own substitutes: step ups on high step, leg extensions and leg curls on Vectra weight machine, one legged squats, one legged deadlifts. (i just stop the DVD and do however many are indicated, but using these moves instead. i also figure that once a week at the gym, i'll hit the leg press machine for a bit more legs.)

any advice would be appreciated...

It sounds to me like you have it covered nicely with your substitutions! Especially being able to do the walking lunges. I think you are hitting the same muscles very well. Plus, you have such a good variety of exercises to change it up from time to time. Can you possibly use paper plate slides? You can do front slides (sit and stands) or inner thigh (sliding plates sideways). Not sure you'd be able to do backward slides? The plates get deep into the leg muscles. You've done a nice job of doing what works for YOU! Good Luck!

alternative to lunges

thanks Debbie.

i can do slides but only for side lunges and hamstrings.
just figured the hamstring one yesterday..heels on plates and bring legs in and out like hamstring curls with stability ball.

i'm going to try the leg routine (disk 6) tonight with my alternates...i'm sure it will work out albeit not exactly cathe's plan. just bothers me that i need to change up so many (like 6-7 exercises on that one disk)...but glad i have the ability to substitute my own in.

Well, you've done an excellent job of making it work within your limits and, you still get to workout with Cathe! :D I'm sure your results will still be great...keep us posted on how you're doing.

update on improvised lunge moves - disk 6 completed

well, i finally did disk 6 - legs. i had pre-planned my lunge substitutes but didn't realize that a couple of the exercises that don't say 'lunge' still involve that same foot position so i couldn't do them.

here's how it broke down:
8 exercises = my own leg work to complement cathe's other exercises (did leg extensions and leg curls 2x, step ups with 7 risers, body by jake bun n thigh machine 2x which is the closest thing to leg press in my garage gym, one legged squats using trx for balance, and doubled up on side lunges with plate instead of doing set of back/front lunges and then side lunges)
+ 3 exercises = skipped altogether b/c hadn't planned ahead for needing substitutes and had just gotten home from a circuit class so felt i had enough leg work there to not worry
+ balance = did per cathe (though a couple exercises i did w/o DB)

overall, i had a great leg workout, though, it was a bit frustrating letting the dvd roll while i did something entirely different. but i am glad i stuck with the dvd and just did my improvised moves when nec b/c cathe had some amazing exercises in there that i've never done before and loved. eventually, though, i can see myself taking the cream of cathe's crop of leg exercises and making up my own routine with the ones i substituted in for the many lunge type moves. of course, since i've only done STS for 2 weeks, i'm not sure if or when the exercises will be repeating themselves. maybe creating my own leg routines won't happen til my second or third round of STS once i've seen all of cathe's moves. i'd much rather do workout while watching tv (or having it on in the background) than along with a DVD that represents approximately half of what i'm actually doing).

wow! what a workout! i'm so sore today...esp since circuit classes last night and tonight were very leg oriented. hope i can make it to tomorrow am's circuit class and get thru STS disk 7 - chest, shoulders, biceps - later in the day.

thanks again.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.