Sts with 1 total body day or...

Amy30

Hi everyone!
I'm trying to decide if it's better to do the sts workouts with one total body day added in or do each sts 2x/ week? I want to hit each muscle group twice per week, but I don't want to get burnt out. Also, I run 3 times. Can anyone tell me which they have done and what their results were? Thanks everyone!!!
Amy

I tried to do each STS disk twice per week and found it was too much. I only did it for a few weeks - definitely couldn't maintain it for 3 months. Forearms were sore from holding those heavy weights 6 days per week, and it just became too much work and not enough FUN. Also, deadlifts pop up in both the upper and lower body programs so doing it twice per week meant way too many deadlifts. I decided to do it once per week as designed and then I felt fresh for each workout and there was no dread factor.

Doing a total body workout once per week may be a good option for you Amy30. I often planned on doing that but never ended up carrying through. ;) But, STS gave me good results as is, and so I personally found the extra weight day wasn't needed. I sometimes did metabolic workouts or circuit training (e.g. Drill Max) on my cardio day and so used light weights then.

For me, time-wise, fitting in 3 STS workouts, 3 cardio workouts, 2-3 core workouts and lots of stretching (needed after STS!) was a challenge and all I could squeeze into a week. (Plus, I am still really slow at getting my weights and barbell all set up before each STS workout - but that's just me!) And that doesn't even include time for planning and prepping healthy meals and snacks (I just can't seem to do that quickly either! ;) ) If I did have extra time, I did outdoor activities like biking, hiking and cross-country skiing. :)

Let us know what you choose and how it goes! Good luck Amy30!!

Last edited:
Hi Jane! Thanks you for replying! I quickly found out that each disc 2x/ week was too much for me as well. In fact, the total body added in is too much too. Lol!! Like you, I am going to do it as written. I do kettlebell sport practice 3x per week and I run 3x per week. So I think anything above what is written would burn me out!! Lol!
I do have one last question. Did you go through each week of the disc 2x ( 2 weeks for like dics 13,14,15) or just do the one time though?
Thanks!!!
Amy

Hi Jane! Thanks you for replying! I quickly found out that each disc 2x/ week was too much for me as well. In fact, the total body added in is too much too. Lol!! Like you, I am going to do it as written. I do kettlebell sport practice 3x per week and I run 3x per week. So I think anything above what is written would burn me out!! Lol!
I do have one last question. Did you go through each week of the disc 2x ( 2 weeks for like dics 13,14,15) or just do the one time though?
Thanks!!!
Amy

STS is a program with distinct purpose: to build muscular endurance, to build hypertrophy, and to build strength. Cardio and any additional strength work should be programmed according to the goals of each mesocyclone to get the full benefit of each. Otherwise, you're (one is) just doing it for the sake of doing it and not getting the full benefit.

I tried the two times through approach for Meso 1 my first time using STS. I think I did it just to build my confidence - I was nervous that I wouldn't be able to progress at the same pace as the program. But in the end I didn't have the patience to do that and once I tried it as written I realized the program is AMAZING and works well just as it is designed. Somehow (miraculously) after only one workout per week on a particular body part you are ready for the next increment the following week! Cathe is a genius. :)

STS is a program with distinct purpose: to build muscular endurance, to build hypertrophy, and to build strength. Cardio and any additional strength work should be programmed according to the goals of each mesocyclone to get the full benefit of each. Otherwise, you're (one is) just doing it for the sake of doing it and not getting the full benefit.
Too be honest, I am doing STS to compliment my kettlebell training which is why I've chosen STS. I need to build endurance and strength to help complete those 10 min sets of snatches and clean and jerks. I could leave out the hypertrophy, but I like the aesthetics of muscles. Lol.
I'm not doing it for the sake of doing it. I'm just utilizing them for a different purpose .

I tried the two times through approach for Meso 1 my first time using STS. I think I did it just to build my confidence - I was nervous that I wouldn't be able to progress at the same pace as the program. But in the end I didn't have the patience to do that and once I tried it as written I realized the program is AMAZING and works well just as it is designed. Somehow (miraculously) after only one workout per week on a particular body part you are ready for the next increment the following week! Cathe is a genius. :)
I agree!!! Love Cathe

Too be honest, I am doing STS to compliment my kettlebell training which is why I've chosen STS. I need to build endurance and strength to help complete those 10 min sets of snatches and clean and jerks. I could leave out the hypertrophy, but I like the aesthetics of muscles. Lol.
I'm not doing it for the sake of doing it. I'm just utilizing them for a different purpose .

I think regardless of one's purpose for doing STS you get benefits from the program. People do it for a wide variety of reasons - one reason is no better than another. I think that all three mesocycles will benefit your kettlebell skills! And improved body composition and aesthetics is always a nice bonus too! Good luck with it Amy30!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.