STS-will it bulk me up?

Hello Cathe and Crew,

I usually stick with the total body endurance workouts, I really enjoy them and they don't make me feel like I have big, thick muscles. Also, they seem to compliment my marathon training quite well. I am very short (4'11") and I seem to show muscle easily.

But, boredom does set in. My concern is that my body will gain more of a masculine bulk with the STS series. I know you cannot predict what the series will do to my body...but can you try? Do I have a legitimate concern?

P.S. After you are done looking into your crystal ball on that ?, can you look to see how I will do in my next marathon? :p

Mine too! I prefer a more lean, *cut* look for my body type. I love the idea of these workouts but fear they will make me look more like a female wrestler. Oh, and I do not want to shop for bigger jeans just I can get my thighs into them.

>Mine too! I prefer a more lean, *cut* look for my body type.
> I love the idea of these workouts but fear they will make me
>look more like a female wrestler. Oh, and I do not want to
>shop for bigger jeans just I can get my thighs into them.

I hear you Sarah! I think you wrote a different post about more Cardio/less weight training working for you (?). This seems to be working for me too.

This discussion is making me realize that STS probably isn't going to work for me. Three days of weight training per week is probably going to add muscle in ways that I just don't want it.

I'm a little sad that there don't seem to be any new Cardio workouts in the planning :( It looks like STS is going to keep Cathe busy for a while!

andrea

p.s. I'm a runner too, but I prefer 5ks -short and fast :) I'm in awe of Marathon runners...I never could do those long distance runs!

I assume STS isn't for me, especially if my concern isn't addressed.

Andrea, you could do a marathon...but first you'd have to WANT to do a marathon!;) And there is nothing wrong with having no desire to run 26.2!:7

I actually struggle with the shorter races and I am in awe of you! Running that hard hurts!!!:7

Hope you guys don't mind me butting into your conversation, but seeing that you're runners as well piqued my interest :). For a long time now I've been struggling with whether or not I should really stick to more endurance-type training for my strength work so I can really get my running to the level I want it to be at... Sounds like that may be the ideal approach after all?

My problem is, I prefer the heavy weight training--I get an ego boost out of being able to progress with my strength/weights ;). I do still do endurance-type training, but it seems on the weeks I do, I long to go back to heavy training. In fact recently I've been so "addicted" to 4DS that I can't seem to bring myself to go on the 4-week endurance style training rotation that I keep promising myself I will try to shake things up!

But my priority right now really is to get my running to a good level. I've been doing this for 3 1/2 years and I feel as though my progress has been slooooow. What's more, I tend to progress during my "running season" (June-Oct, when I train with Team in Training), but in my off-season when I try and mix things up with other cardio to save my knees, I quickly lose my running stamina, and it's almost like starting all over again come June. I'd like to be able to keep up my running during the winter, as well (barring rain ;)), and in order for me to do that, I think I really do have to commit to the most complementary weight training approach that I can. Plus this year I'd like to train for my first full marathon (have done 7 half-marathons and I figure I should be ready to take it to the next level now ;)).

So... if that means endurance training may be the way to go, I'll have to break my 4DS habit and really commit to it!

Question for both of you: what videos have you found to be the best ones to complement your running?

Thanks!
Jennifer

Thanks Sarah, that's nice of you to say. I think it's just different body types that are more suited for different things.

You're right about needing to want to do a marathon. I don't have the mindset it requires to train for or run 26+ miles. But that's part of what I admire about you marathoners. That desire to complete this huge self-challenge and the commitment to carry it through!

I did run a Half-Marathon once but I said "never again!" So, for now at least, I'm happy to be running my 5ks and enjoying the fresh air and sunshine...or rain...snow...sleet;)

Cheers to running (and the endorphins that come with it):D

Hi Jennifer,
I wonder if Sarah and I would have different answers for you based upon the different types of running we do. I'm a short distance runner. A 10k would be my maximum racing distance but I really prefer to give it my all in a 5k. Having said that, I feel that interval training has helped me to become a better, faster 5k runner.
I think there's a Forum with a big group of runners (Cheetahs?). You might try posting your question there for more advice.
Good luck!

I do not agree that runners should only do endurance lifting, especially on upper body.

I think the reality is more that high running mileage works against building a lot of muscle tissue, therefore making "bulking up" for a runner a virtual impossibility. I was reading an interview with Paula Radcliffe the other day, in which she states that weight training is part of her program. Really?!!!! I believe her, but you wouldn't know it from looking at her!

Lifting heavy weights, especially for a woman, does not immediately or necessarily translate into bulking up. I do not, for instance, consider Cathe's musculature to be bulky. But by comparison, I think a lot of female body builders are "bulky".

I think, Jennifer, that if you get a real boost from your heavy lifting you should continue with it. Bear in mind also that only the last third of the STS training program involves heavy weights.

Clare

You serious runners keep that bodyfat in check so lifting heavy will not make you bulky. I used to run and trained for a half marathon, I am built like a sprinter though and my knees took it hard and I had to stop. Cannot run now cause of my new hip!:) But when I did run(would average 6-10 miles a day) I found it really hard to lift too, running really wiped me out and left me lifting lighter weights...I wasn't defined in my upper body, but my legs were pretty great. Just my two cents. I love to lift heavy, but do not do it all the time. I feel it gives the muscles a nice maturity and hardness that lighter weights/higher reps do not-over time of course. But I think you need both really. I am looking forward to the challenge of STS, sounds like a very intelligent program.
Weider was one of the first to advocate this way of training, I am glad Cathe is really taking it to the next level, making it easy to understand for everyone.:7

Sarah...for my body type heavy weightlifting was the only thing that leaned me out. I would in your case avoid doing the heavy lower body weights during marathon training though...:)...But I don't think STS will bulk you up in anyway...if possible, you would get more definition (as you have great definition now).

Congrats on your great marathon times and Good Luck in Boston...:D

Hey Sarah,

I run half marathons (and 1 full) during the summer months and would love to hear how to incorporate Cathe in the mix. This past summer I did upper body when I wasn't running, but I think it would help to do SOME leg work. If you happen to have a framework that works for you I'd love to hear it. If not, that's fine, too :)

HC

Paula doesn't look like she avoids weights because of her running and the cardio takes all her muscle away, she looks like that because she is tall, and she has longer bones. All her muscle mass is stretched along her beautiful long limbs.

Actually, as I watched Paula win the NTC Marathon and as I admired her photos in the February 2008 issue of Runners' World, I marveled at how strong her body looked. Page 82 shows a nice shoulder to bicep "cut". Page 84 shows her pectoral definition and nice lats.

My body type is nothing comparable to Paula's. The only thing we have in common is the baby in our arms. She is clearly a very tall woman. I am not even 5 foot.

BUT, it's all a matter of personal taste. What I think looks bulky, someone else may think it looks fine.

Im glad someone asked this question. I too question if this series would add/bulk me up. I am short as well (5'3) and I prefer to have lean muscles. I too Sarah don't want to be buying bigger jeans just so my thighs can fit into a pair :)

I run too. Right now doing a 10K training thingie I found on runner's world.com. I have done a few 5Ks and figured its time to increase the mileage here. The only thing that is stopping me is ME :) Fastest 5K run was 26.34

I am curious to see what kind of answer you get sarah.

Ive held back on pre-ordering for that reason .

Kath

"Are you riding life....or is life riding you?" ;-)

<<BUT, it's all a matter of personal taste. What I think looks bulky, someone else may think it looks fine>>

I think you've hit on an important point, Sarah. Some people like a more muscular look and some prefer to have the 'lean' look. I like the tight, strong muscles I get with a bit of weight training but I don't like it when I see my lower body expanding with muscle.

I'm 5'5" with a longer torso. My body fat tends to accumulate on my lower body and, consequently, that's the part of me that gets bigger with heavier weights. I'll still lift some heavy weights (maybe once per week) for my bones but I'm going to focus on mostly cardio (interval training and circuit workouts) since those give me the results I like most.

This discussion made me stop to think about what works best for my body type. We're all so different and what works for some people clearly won't work for others. The great thing about Cathe is that she offers a wide range of choices for all of us:)

Hi Clare,

Sorry, I should have been clearer--I'm not actually concerned about whether heavy weights will bulk me up (they haven't so far :)), but rather, I'm trying to really optimize my running, and I'd like to have my weight training help me work on the right muscles in the right way to get me there. I think most weight training programs are "generic," in the sense that they don't necessarily get people optimized for their particular sport, but when athletes train, they tailor their program on the moves and/or methodology that will focus most on the muscles they'll need.

Since running is so specific in its needs, I want to make sure I'm tailoring my program to help me improve there--that's my priority for the next few months, as I get ready to train for my first full marathon. I'm planning on getting a book called "The Ultimate Weight Training Guide For Runners," so perhaps that will give me the basic principles I'll need to tailor my program, but I also wanted to poll the other runners on here and see if there was a specific Cathe workout that worked really well for them and caused them to see great strides (no pun intended LOL) in their running. I'm looking to optimize for speed, agility, and stamina, since I feel that I've been in a plateau in all of those things for the past 3 years. Time for me to start kicking myself in the butt again and take it to the next level!

Jennifer

Hi Sarah! My crystal ball says you will do amazingly well on your next marathon and that you will NOT BULK using STS. :)

You mention that your muscles show easily, but muscles showing easily is very different from muscles bulking easily.

STS is not a system that will bulk individuals. The only person who stands a chance to bulk on any weight training program, is someone who is genetically predisposed to build solid, hardcore mass. Such a small percentage of people have this advanced genetic predisposition.... just ask any professional weight lifter out there and they will tell you this from experience. Building muscle takes a huge amount of effort with no room to do much else than focus on lifting hard and heavy and eating constantly to support muscle growth. It is just not that easy to build bulk ....even for those who are predisposed to this genetically.

STS will enhance muscle definition, increase lean muscle density, reduce overall body fat, increase your metabolism, and improve your overall energy, health, and vitality.

Enjoy the results :)

I did not say that Paula avoids weights. I acknowledged that she uses them. The heavy mileage, without a doubt, prevents her from building significant and visible muscle mass. Yes, she has some definition, but not a lot of mass. I have seen the same pictures. I did not denigrate and would not dream of denigrating the achievements and body of the greatest female marathon runner. You mistake my meaning.

I suspect it is all a matter of personal taste because I do not find Paula's body aesthetically beautiful, while you do. I find her amazing in her achievement and salute the woman wholeheartedly.

Clare

Hey Jennifer:

getting that book sounds like a good idea. Don't forget though that flexibility training for runners is every bit as important as weight training.

Take a look at the recent issue of Runner's World, it discusses the importance of developing the core to assist with running. Looks very convincing!

Good luck with your running!

Clare

Thanks, Clare! :)

Sigh, yes, flexibility is so important, and yet I'm sooo bad at incorporating it into my routine! I really do have to get better at doing more stretching. I must confess, it's the first thing that I skip when I'm short on time and/or am lazy. I'm not proud of that, but I can't lie ;).

And I could also be better about working on my core strength, though at least during the Team in Training season, we work on our core during our weekly track workouts so no matter how lazy I get, I do manage to get at least one intense core workout in.

And I wonder why I'm not doing better at this LOL...

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.