STS Check in

Thursday was a much needed rest day. Yesterday I did KCM stepboxing “Kelly’s favorite compilation” which was actually pretty fun. I’ve been dying to try PHA 3 since I got my new DVDs, so that was today’s workout. I know we’re not supposed to lift heavy during recovery week but I couldn’t wait 3 more months! It was tough!

mbg I was thinking of the same thing about PHA 3. I love PHA 2. I might do PHA 3 during my recovery week next week. I just won't lift as heavy.

This week will be final week of Meso 1. Today was Disc 10 followed by Ab Hits # 10 and 10 min of yoga.

I used a 6 inch step to do more pushups on my toes. The only exercise I didn't reach 70% was chest fly's on flat bench . The most I can do with good form is 27 lbs. (I have 2lb gloves that I used with the 25lbs.) I was supposed to do 30 lbs. That's just too much weight even though I can do 30 lbs doing chest press but not with chest fly's. I'm afraid that I might injured myself if I lift that heavy.

Tomorrow is cardio. I just got my Rhythmic Step today. So I'm going to doing that tomorrow.

It's so funny that you mention that today. Just yesterday I was noticing that the men were using MY weights if not lighter than me and acting like it was soooooo tough! Hahahahahaha! I was cracking up out loud. I do love that there are diverse body types and strengths in this program. I can't say enough about how freakin' much I love STS! I love all parts of it. It is such an effective, organized, and well thought out program. If anyone is stalking this check-in and you are on the fence, do not hesitate! If you want to build muscle and get stronger this IS the program for you! It does not disappoint! Disc 21 complete! On to week 4 Meso 2!

LOL!! I was thinking the same thing. Why are the guys lifting light weights.

Ditto, Firmgrrrl! I have said it before and I will say it again...It's simply THE BEST! Worth all the work of setting up the weights, switching weights after almost every move, walking around during the rest periods, recording the weights....it's worth every single rep. It basically guarantees progress!

Same here. This is a great program. I love everything about.

Disk 19 DONE. Whoo Hoo! I have been dreading that one since a pec injury (from shovelling snow). Gave it a couple of weeks rest and had to reduce my weight load a little, but mission accomplished! So glad:) to be back at it! That disk has about 15 sets of chest exercises! Hope I won't be too sore tomorrow!

I haven't done this disk for 4 years - last time was back when I was 56 in 2016. It was so rewarding to see that I was able to increase my weights for the overhead press and double arm kickbacks tonight. I guess turning 60 last year didn't mean I had to get weaker. It just means I have to be more consistent and use well structured programs like this that help us all maintain functional muscle mass.

Jane you look awsome for a 60 year and glad your back after resting your injury.

Going to be behind everyone, but this week I am doing all my 1RM testing. I wasn't going to do, but decided that I would probably getting better results. Thinking I will be able to start next week. Kinda worried about gaining weight and puffiness, that is what stopped me before.
We’re all at different points in the program. If you start next week we will finish meso 2 around the same time! I foolishly decided to do the 5 1/2 month rotation.

The only exercise I didn't reach 70% was chest fly's on flat bench . The most I can do with good form is 27 lbs. (I have 2lb gloves that I used with the 25lbs.) I was supposed to do 30 lbs. That's just too much weight even though I can do 30 lbs doing chest press but not with chest fly's. I'm afraid that I might injured myself if I lift that heavy.
Completely agree! I have gone as high as 26 lbs for chest fly but don't think I will go higher - too high a risk of injury for me. Good to know I am not the only one.

Hello everyone!
Ok, so I finally did Disc 22 today. I was really not feeling it, but did it anyway! This workout includes some serious dropset action for the shoulders and tris...yikes!

My hamstring feels better, but I am still going to skip legs this week and move onto my last workout of Meso 2, back and bis. I just can't chance it with my races coming up! Then next week will be my recovery week. I am so excited to move into Meso 3...it is my fave! I cant wait to get into my squat rack again!

Have a great weekend everyone!❤

Hi everyone!

Today was my last workout of Meso 1 disc 12 followed by ab hits #12 and 10 min yoga. Yay!! I can't wait to move on to Meso 2. Next week is my recovery week. I haven't decided what I'm going to do yet. I do know I need to get some heavier dumbbells and some more plates for my barbell and another barbell. Especially another barbell. I have been wanting to do that for years now. The heaviest dumbbells I have are 30 lb and I think the barbell can go up to 50lbs.

Speaking of barbells. Does anyone here count the barbell bar as part of your weight? I have a Les Mills barbell. I remember years ago that someone on youtube weigh the bar and it was about 5lbs. When I first got my barbell I did add the 5lbs to the weight but I haven't done that in awhile. I usually forget to add that in.

Also does anyone here know where to buy a barbell and plates similar to Les Mills? Or what kind of barbell do you use?

firmgrrl I'm glad your hamstring is doing better.

Have a great weekend everyone!!

Does anyone here count the barbell bar as part of your weight?
Yes, I count the weight of the barbell. Mine is 5lbs. For me, every pound is an added challenge. :p;) If I wear weighted gloves I count that weight too.

I need to get some heavier dumbbells and some more plates for my barbell and another barbell. Especially another barbell. I have been wanting to do that for years now. The heaviest dumbbells I have are 30 lb
I finally bought 35s and am very glad I did for Meso 2 and especially, Meso 3.
For me there are very helpful for plies in particular.
Last year I bought a second barbell and that has been super worthwhile. My first one (from the 90s!) is the same as Cathe uses in STS. It is great. But then when I bought my Fit Tower, my barbell was too short to fit on the clips! So I had to buy a longer one and I can use that with chest presses in Mesos 2 and 3 and squat rack moves in Meso 3. It is nice to have 2 barbells as I load them both up with two different weight loads before pressing play. Then I have less jiggling around during those quick one minute rests.

Started meso 2 today with disc 14 and extended stretch. I did cardio core challenge live last night and a couple of Jessica Smith light weight fusion workouts last week. I couldn’t do too much cause I came down with a cold, but I guess if it had to happen the recovery week was a good time.

It's so nice to read everyone's posts! We should all be so proud of ourselves for how consistent we have all been...not perfect, but consistent! High fives all!

Okay, so I decided to do Disc 23 Legs today with abs and walking. My hamstring was just feeling so much better, and it felt fine during the workout, so I'm glad I did, I just didn't up my weights like I probably could have. Tomorrow I will finish up Meso 2 with Disc 24. I've been jonesing to do some metabolic workouts, so maybe I'll do a few of those with some walking for my recovery week next week.

Until next time! ❤

Yes, I count the weight of the barbell. Mine is 5lbs. For me, every pound is an added challenge. :p;) If I wear weighted gloves I count that weight too.

I finally bought 35s and am very glad I did for Meso 2 and especially, Meso 3.
For me there are very helpful for plies in particular.
Last year I bought a second barbell and that has been super worthwhile. My first one (from the 90s!) is the same as Cathe uses in STS. It is great. But then when I bought my Fit Tower, my barbell was too short to fit on the clips! So I had to buy a longer one and I can use that with chest presses in Mesos 2 and 3 and squat rack moves in Meso 3. It is nice to have 2 barbells as I load them both up with two different weight loads before pressing play. Then I have less jiggling around during those quick one minute rests.

I agree. It's amazing how one pound makes a difference. I do count my weighted gloves. I remember last year when I bought an E Z bar . I was doing bicep curls with 25lbs. When I lifted my first rep. I kept thinking this is a little heavier than usual. It turned out the EZ bar weighed 10lbs :oops::p I'm planning on counting the bar for now on.

I'm definitely getting another bar. It will definitely be easier when you don't have to pause to hurry up and change weight. My Wednesday workout I was loading what I thought was my first barbell exercise (back rows) it turn it was my second barbell exercise. My first barbell exercise was flat bench tricep extensions. So it was a lot lighter than my back rows. So it took a little longer to change my weight. :mad:

I agree. It's amazing how one pound makes a difference. I do count my weighted gloves. I remember last year when I bought an E Z bar . I was doing bicep curls with 25lbs. When I lifted my first rep. I kept thinking this is a little heavier than usual. It turned out the EZ bar weighed 10lbs :oops::p I'm planning on counting the bar for now on.

I'm definitely getting another bar. It will definitely be easier when you don't have to pause to hurry up and change weight. My Wednesday workout I was loading what I thought was my first barbell exercise (back rows) it turn it was my second barbell exercise. My first barbell exercise was flat bench tricep extensions. So it was a lot lighter than my back rows. So it took a little longer to change my weight. :mad:
I also weigh my barbells. I have one that is 13 lbs and one that is 11 lbs.

It's so nice to read everyone's posts! We should all be so proud of ourselves for how consistent we have all been...not perfect, but consistent! High fives all!
Ditto! Couldn't have said it better myself.

Thanks for the encouragement gals. Sometimes really tough for me to find the time to fit in these workouts, yet without consistency STS is just not very effective. I have needed the positive 'push' from you all to get 'er done! Thanks.

This week is my recovery week. I couldn't help myself. I couldn't wait to try it. I did PHA 3 but I did go lighter on my weights than I would normally do and I only did One round of the A & B. Love the workout! A little more faster pace to give it more a cardio effect. Even with the lighter wights I still got a great workout. I also did Ab hits #1 followed by 20 min of stretch. I still do my daily walks with my dog.

Okay, so I decided to do Disc 23 Legs today with abs and walking. My hamstring was just feeling so much better, and it felt fine during the workout, so I'm glad I did, I just didn't up my weights like I probably could have. Tomorrow I will finish up Meso 2 with Disc 24. I've been jonesing to do some metabolic workouts, so maybe I'll do a few of those with some walking for my recovery week next week.

Until next time! ❤
Penny, great job and I agree with you! We have not been perfect but consistent. I try not to beat myself up if I can't follow my schedule exactly as planned. I just redo the one before or move to the next one.
Great job all!!!! Glad to be on this cycle with all of you;):):cool:
Hi everyone!

Today was my last workout of Meso 1 disc 12 followed by ab hits #12 and 10 min yoga. Yay!! I can't wait to move on to Meso 2. Next week is my recovery week. I haven't decided what I'm going to do yet. I do know I need to get some heavier dumbbells and some more plates for my barbell and another barbell. Especially another barbell. I have been wanting to do that for years now. The heaviest dumbbells I have are 30 lb and I think the barbell can go up to 50lbs.

Speaking of barbells. Does anyone here count the barbell bar as part of your weight? I have a Les Mills barbell. I remember years ago that someone on youtube weigh the bar and it was about 5lbs. When I first got my barbell I did add the 5lbs to the weight but I haven't done that in awhile. I usually forget to add that in.

Also does anyone here know where to buy a barbell and plates similar to Les Mills? Or what kind of barbell do you use?

firmgrrl I'm glad your hamstring is doing better.

Have a great weekend everyone!!
I count my barball weight as well. We are lifting it so I always include in my weight count. My second barbell is the EZ bar which I bought when I was doing BEAST series. I really like it for certain exercises like curls.
Same here. This is a great program. I love everything about.
So do I!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.