STS and Herniated Disc

Shelbygirl

Cathlete
Hello Fellow Cathe Fans.

I've been very excited about STS. Unfortunately, it looks like I have a herniated disc (based on an x-ray showing disc space narrowing, sciatica pain, foot numbness and loss of muscle use in my calf). I won't get the results of my MRI until next week, but assuming that it is a herniated disc, will I truly be able to make use of STS in the future?

I've been doing lots of research while I wait for my MRI results and my neurologist appointment, and it sounds like squats and lunges will be bad, as will heavy upper lifting (which I love, by the way). I've also heard that traditional ab work is bad for my condition.

For those of you who have had disc problems, did you order STS or did you have to pass on it? (Also, I've heard that kickboxing is bad when you have disc problems, even after you heal. Any thoughts on that one?).

Any tips/opinions on bad discs and weightlifting/kickboxing would be much appreciated! I've preordered STS, but if I truly won't be able to make good use of it, I'd rather know now. (I have this fear that my 8 lb. dumbbells will become my constant companions, although, I guess that's still better than what I'm able to do today, which is precisely nothing).

Thanks,
Shelbygirl

I would love to hear of anyone's experience with this problem. DH has the same issue, but wants to get back into working out. I was hoping he would do STS with me. I know what his doctor has recommended (which is ridiculous because he's only 26 and the doc basically no to all the things we enjoy--where's quality of life in that?). Anyway, just wondering if anyone has personal experience with this issue.

To OP: you might want to post this in open discussion too, might get more responses :)

Hi, I'm currantly recovering from disc surgery on Nov 19th. My problem was with the cervicsl spine, between discs 5 and 6. I have ordered the new series and have been cleared by my surgeon to start using a barbell by the end of the month. You should always consult with your physician first, every case is different. I had cervical fusion with a titanium plate. My surgeon had me walking after surgery as my only exercise, then gradually he let me do more. I have been told the healing will not be complete for about 6-12 months after surgery. I certainly can't do what I used to do or even finish one of Cathe's cardio workouts but I think with STS we all will be working within our own level. I'm 51 yrs old but have worked out with Cathe for probably 15 years now to some degree or another. My DIL works out with me sometimes and I'm sure we will do STS together. Anyway,I know the lower back is much different than my situation, just be careful and listen to your Dr. Sorry so long winded. Hope I helped some and good luck! Val

I wish you well on your disc issue. I have the same thing (C5-C6) but I have not moved forward with surgery yet because the pressure on the nerves let up several months ago, so I didn't do the injections or surgery yet. Your story give folks hope, though!

>I wish you well on your disc issue. I have the same thing
>(C5-C6) but I have not moved forward with surgery yet because
>the pressure on the nerves let up several months ago, so I
>didn't do the injections or surgery yet. Your story give
>folks hope, though!

Gibbee, my situation was like yours -- the same disc was involved. The first time I had a problem was back in 1990 and I was able to get by with physical therapy. My recovery was complete and I was fine for about 10 years before the disc bulged again. This time I needed surgery -- fusion with a titanium plate -- just like Val. I fully recovered from that, too, and I can do pretty much whatever I want. I was told to avoid yoga, but strongly encouraged to lift weights. I've never had another issue.

As Val stated, the lower back is different, and really, there can be so many variables that it would be difficult to know what to expect based on someone else's condition. I'll keep you in my prayers and I hope that your problem is one that responds well to treatment. Let us know what happens after you see the doctor.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.