*** STS 6-Monthers Alumni *** June 2012

HALF MARATHON DONE!!!

We finished in 2 hrs 13 mins. The guys stayed with me to the end although I had to walk a bit. I have now completed 4 half marathons (13.1 miles) and 1 full marathon (26.2 miles) and maybe it's time to retire my running shoes. It was hard!

Congrats, Kim, that's a great accomplishment and a great time! I can only imagine how tired you must be! I've neverdone a Marathon or half of one! Are you taking a rest week before starting with the June rotation?

I'm laying around today, I think I overdid it yesterday with lots of chores and was totally beat... so am taking it easy today.

Thanks Cendrine. My quads are so sore! Going down the stairs is quite the challenge! I started the june rotation today with 4DS High Intensity. Love my new workout space!

CONGRATULATIONS KIM!!!!

That's a great time too! You are awesome!

Cendrine, I had two migraines this week as did a GF of mine, so I hope you don't have a worse time with your headaches living in the NW.!!

I'm DONE!!!!!

It's all over my friends! I have a GF coming up Friday morning (I have to pick her up at 7 a.m.!) for my graduation. Commencement is on Saturday and then it is over over! YAY!!! I won't know my final grades until next week, but pretty sure I'll still have that 4.0! :D

But, so much for that little weight loss. It's back so starting Monday, after GF leaves, I'm focusing on my weight and getting back in shape! UGGHHH!

Anyway, I must get to bed. It's 2:30 a.m. and I have no idea why I'm awake! But I am! So now I'm finally tired.

TTY tomorrow! (errr...later today!). :D

Oh man I have a lot of catching up to do.
We have been snowed under at work and my dad has been in the hospital since June 11th!
There have been so many ups and downs the last 2 weeks that I am just wiped out emotionally and physically!

My dad went into the hospital on a Monday with complications from pneumonia and then when it seemed like he was getting better he has a complication with his colon due to the anesthesia! When I got off work Monday I rushed to the hospital and he just looked awful. I really thought I might lose him. They were talking about surgery for that and he was already compromised by a surgery to release fluid from his lungs. I am thankful to say that his doctors were not hasty and they ran all the tests they could do before jumping in there and doing another major surgery and luckily he is getting better now. I was able to spend a lot of time with him today and he is returning to his usual self which has been a while since I have seen!

So I am sorry for the MIA.

Congratulations on the half marathon Kim. My brother is starting to become a pretty avid runner here lately and he was asking me what a good time for a 5K is...Do you know?

Whoop whoop Jo! I am doing a victory dance for you! I am excited to hear what all you can tell me on the "what's" that I should see!

Cendrine, we are looking at late August but we are having a friend tag along with us so we are getting together next week to finalize the schedule. I hope we get to meet up. But the Alaska vacation sounds like something I would love!!! I always wanted to do the dog sledding thing!

I am catching up on laundry and house cleaning so I better get back to it!
Have a great day!

Congrats Jo! You did it! Go celebrate! You must feel so great!

Rachel, I'm sorry about your dad, that's such a hard thing to deal with! How's your dad doing now? I hope you can take some time to pamper yourself this weekend!

Kim, are you still sore?

I finished my deep cleaning for downstairs today. I still have lots to do but having a whole floor checked off feels great!
next week the kids are going to be at a summer camp and I plan to use the time to shampoo the carpets and do some other stuff that still needs doing. I've been borrowing audio books from the library and playing them on my kindle while scrubbing. Dhaka got a thingy that is like a speaker for phones and iPod and such, I plugged in my Kindle today for cleaning and was able to turn the sound way higher so I could just leave it in one place and didn't have to keep moving it with me so I could still hear...;)

I have also been able to get picture books from the e-BOOK library and Dd loves using the kindle to read them... pretty fun gizmo, I have to say!

Rachael, I'm so sorry to hear about your dad's illnesses. I'm sure he really appreciated you being there for him! After all his body has been through he will take awhile to recover! Thanks for letting us know!

Well, a couple of weeks ago my mom and daughter ran a 5k. My mom is 67 and ran a 26 min race and my daughter is 11 and ran a 30 min race. I could probably get a tad under 30 mins ( I know slower than my mom) and I consider myself slow. DH and ds are fast and could probably do betwee 20-25 mins.

Cendrine, my quads were so incredibly tight Monday and Tuesday, that I honestly could hardly go down the stairs. DH and ds worked out monday the day after the race. I thought they were crazy but by Tuesday I decided to work out, although I couldn't get down the stairs to my workout room but after I did the tightness almost disappeared. I think I sat too much/didn't stretch after the race.
The boys are talking about doing another half marathon in the fall without me so they could get a better time:p:rolleyes:

Did I tell you how ds, turned and grabbed my hand before he crossed the finish line. He wanted to hold my hand going across. He's such a sweetie!

Cendrine, aren't the Kindles fun! I've never regretted buying mine. That's great that the kids are off to summer camp next week, maybe they will make some new friends from the area.

I've been consistent with the June rotation since Tuesday, and have completed all 4 workouts from 4DS. Tomorrow is Yoga Relax to complete the first week!

Jo, I sure hope you are enjoying your first free weekend and are doing something super fun!!!

We have had a real social week, had a wedding shower one night, out for dinner with friends one night, last night we went to a concert (Bryan adams) then had our friends back for a bonfire. Lots of late nights although fun. I finished with my intern yesterday:D:D:D so I had an extra couple of drinks at the concert to celebrate last night.

Dh went and bought a tv for the workout room and set it up yesterday and so of course I worked out to a Cathe!!!! It was such a fun reunion! I can't remember how long it's been LOL

Then I dropped the kids off at camp and came home and shampooed one of the carpets that the steamers were supposed to have gotten to....:rolleyes: I went over the entire area bout 3 times (each time consisiting of 2 shampoos, two rinses and two drys) and did that 3 times and got so much dirty water! I cannot imagine what the owners did to this room to get it so filthy...

more carpets will get this treatment, but this one was the worst from what I can see...

dh just got home and I haven't started on dinner yet...:D

I bet you are tired after carpet cleaning and the first workout in the new house! Which Cathe workout did you do??

Yesterday was PUB and HITT 40/20. I did the HITT before work and PUB in the evening. This evening was Cardio Supersets.

Curtains got here today, so I was busy arranging them... It's a work in progress, I got some of those sheer valance scarves and there are so many ways to drape them, I am not done experimenting...lol

Back in California, I used the tv that we used for watching movies for working out as well, so I had this great surround sound treatment, with the cathe dvds being such great sound, it was awesome to have such great sound quality in the room. So when I worked out yesterday, it was just straight out of the tv speakers.... of course I knew what it could sound like, and I knew dh had gotten a soundbar thingy for the family room, so we weren't using the sound set up from california but it was just going to sit around in a closet collecting dust... Sooooo I asked dh if it would be too much trouble setting up the sound stuff in the workout room....:D:rolleyes: And guess what he's doing tonight... setting up my workout sound! I am such a lucky girl!

I'm still sore from doing the workout on Monday, low impact step and weight circuit. I didn't even use much of any weights but the intensity blasts got right to my glutes...lol feeling happy to feel some doms again for a change!

So if the sound is set up for tomorrow, I will probably tackle cardio and weights with really light weights tomorrow and enjoy the awesome sound!:rolleyes:

I did a lot of scrubbing and cleaning in the guest room today, taking a break from carpets. Tomorrow I'm tackling dd's carpet. Hopefully it won't be as bad as the guest room, it looks better anyway...

Going back to rearrange the scarf valances some more...:rolleyes: its starting to look more like home all the time.:D

Glad to hear the house is starting to feel like home! Have the kids adjusted well? So did you get a chance to workout and enjoy the surround sound today?

Today was PLB, haven't done that one in years. I used to do it often, it hasn't got any easier with time. DH worked out with me.

Going to watch ds's ball hockey finals, they are doing really well in the playoffs.

Last day of school here! Poor ds got his braces on today. Not feeing so well tonight, his mouth is pretty sore. Had a little soup and ice cream for lunch and no supper:(:( He's took some painkillers and is sleeping. Hopefully he feels better by tomorrow, the plan is to head to the cottage for the long weekend. (Canada Day).

I'm still continuing with the June rotation, yesterday was Afterburn and today was 30/30 and STS Total Body upper body premix.

Hope everyone has a good weekend!

Welcome to summer break, Kim! What plans do you have this summer? Are you able to take any time off work?

I remember how miserable I was when I got my braces on and really feel for your ds! I think I ate yoghurt and applesauce for a week!!!! I hope it does not take that long for him to feel better!

I enjoyed my first workout with full sound! Lots of fun! I did cardio and weights on Wednesday, then I took Thursday off (it seems I reach a point by thursday when I just need a break until my stamina is all the way back to normal) Then I did High step training on Friday. I loved it, did low impact modifications and am feeling it good today...lol Not terrible, just feeling like I'm finally getting somewhere...!

I have decided to embark on a gluten free journey this weekend and see what happens and if I feel any changes. I am testing out this sourdough starter to make naturally leavened bread, I decided to try the gluten free starter first because I have met few people who have gluten issues and I thought I could see if this works for them, too, so I'm making sourdough glutenfree bread tomorrow (it's being activated at the moment) and then I'll let everyone try it and see if they like it... ;)

Rachel, how's your dad doing? Do you go visit him much? I forget if he is still in the hospital or if he is home now?

Jo, what are you doing with your summer other than working out, eating right and probably applying for jobs?

We are thinking of taking a trip to Silver falls on the 4th, it's about an hour from here and apparently there are nice walking trails to go see seven or so waterfalls, something I really enjoy, so I think we'll do that.

Yesterday we joined a homeschool group on a fieldtrip to a local Elk farm. Was very informative and interesting, then we went to the park right by the farm for a picnic lunch. There was a small river with lots of rocks and the kids spent a long time building dams and catching crawfish. Lots of fun. Never did this in California...

I feel like a broken record but I am so sorry to have been so vacant here lately!

My dad got home Monday so he was at the hospital from July 11 to July 25! Is it just me or is that a super long time?
He seems to be doing OK but when I went and saw him at home the other day, I realized that being sick has really taken its toll on him. He looked about 10 years older. He will be 65 next month but he looks closer to 75.
Not that I have not really evaluated this before but more than ever this very situation has shown me how important taking care of yourself is. My parents are a prime example of that. They seem to be falling apart. I think if they were healthier, they would not have so many problems on top of problems. It seems like once one thing broke everything else that was weak fell apart right after.
I think that they are also living examples to me that your mind and body are connected. I know that there have been a lot of studies that have come out in the last few years, especially, that have proven that stress wreaks havoc on your body but it is one thing to hear about a study and another to see in real life what anxiety and stress can do to a person!
I think that until I started yoga, I had a tendency to worry and to stress about lots of things. I never did have a vocabulary to put words to it. I would get so caught up in the what if's that I would forget about the right now. I still struggle with this but being able to recognize the pattern helps me to step outside of the action of it.
Sorry about that...That was kind of like a journal entry! LOL

Cendrine-It sounds like you are really enjoying Oregon. I think it fits you. I know the weather was a concern but I think all the other benefits that surround you are out weighing any trepidation that you may have had.
I love that you are working out with "surround"!

Kim-My brother was told by one of his firemen buddies that 27 mins. was a good time for a 5k so I am super impressed with both your mom and dd's time!
I have not run in forever but even when I did it everyday, I was still slow. It felt like I could just never improve no matter how hard I tried! Did I ever tell you that DH ran a 4.27 mile in high school! That still impresses me to this day! He could have been a track star but lacked the motivation. LOL

Waving at you JO!

It feels so good to talk to you all!
Have a great day!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.