Step without the step?

susieq

Cathlete
Several months ago I finally came to terms with the fact that step kills my knees. I LOVE step, but the knee pain was not worth it. I actually got rid of most of my step videos.

I always thought doing a step workout without the step would be silly......then I did the step portion from Intensity and it worked. It was more challenging than I thought it would be (I was actually thinking "how did I do this with a step before?")

So my question is - does anyone else do this and what videos work the best? I also tried HIS from 4 Day Split, I don't think it worked as well as Intensity.

Thanks!
Susan

Most of us learn our step routines without the step anyway. I think the more athletic styles lend themselves to work without the step better especially the Imaxes.

Alisha

Actually, I have done that after I graduated from my college two years ago pre-LIS, I started doing that to be able to workout again. Pre-college, I got rid most of my non-Cathe workouts, so post-college I needed to workout again. Doing step without the step made it possible. Cathe's workouts are fun without the step. It changes the workout and adds variety. Too much stepping is hard on my knees as well.

I am a cancer survivor and after 28 cycles of chemo ( in 3 years), my stamina has gone done the tubes. I love Cathe's workouts so much that I would rather do her step routines without a step than go to a beginner-type dvd with another instructor. So, I have been doing her step dvds for a few months now without a step. And you are right, it is much friendlier on the knees!!:D

I am a cancer survivor and after 28 cycles of chemo ( in 3 years), my stamina has gone done the tubes. I love Cathe's workouts so much that I would rather do her step routines without a step than go to a beginner-type dvd with another instructor. So, I have been doing her step dvds for a few months now without a step. And you are right, it is much friendlier on the knees!!:D

Congrats to you! You're a fighter and a Rock Star!

I've never considered doing Cathe's workouts without the Step. My knees bit it a long time ago and I have for a long time avoided Cathe Step at all costs. Lunges even cause huge swelling in my knees. Thaks to this thread I am going to try the step workouts and step portions of her other DVDs without the step. I haven't done BM2 in YEARS and it was one of my favorites. Now I can try it again!

I love step, but found that it really hurt my knee as well - what I did was just use the step without any risers and that worked for me. I love rhythmic step - it is my favorite Cathe step workout, but I also like the step workouts from 4ds. The shock cardio step workouts are also fun.

The main thing is to keep moving and to find what our bodies can handle!

I had two legally bind students.......I used bright tape to draw a step on the floor for them...during heart rate checks they were in their training zones....I've never thought about trying it myself....but the next achy knee day I have.....

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.