Step Video Suggestion

geojill

Cathlete
I am a beginner to Cathe's step videos and I really enjoy them but I am still learning the moves. I have mastered Basic Step and am doing pretty good with Low Impact Step. I have SJP/Step Blast, plus Basic Step, LIS, and Low Max (does that count as a step video?) but I do not think I'm quite ready to do most of them as there are still plenty step moves I don't know.

Here's my question: do you think that I should move on to a next 'step' (no pun intended) for step videos or should I just do the ones that I have and learn the moves from there? I don't really like not getting in a great workout because I can't get the moves down well enough without stopping and rewinding several times but I also know that I need to take the time to learn the moves before I can really rock my workouts.

What are your suggestions?

I would do Low Impact Step or Basic Step as my workout just to ensure I got my workout in and then tack on one combo from SJP or Low Max afterward to learn them. Once you master the new combo move on to another one in the workout. That way you don't get frustrated about not getting in a great workout as you'd have LIS or Basic Step done and the combo from Low Max or SJP would just be "extra". Once you've mastered 2-3 Low Max combos you could do combos 1-3 as your "workout" and tack on combo 4 as your extra and so on/so forth until you have the entire workout nailed down.

I started with Low Max (my first Cathe and introduction to step) and it was frustrating. I'd do the entire workout without rewinding and as long as I was trying (even with mistakes) I was burning calories. So that is another approach you may want to take. Believe me had I done Basic Step or LIS first, Low Max would have been much easier! So you are two "steps" ahead of the game!

Hello,

You could try the original IMAX step. That has simple moves but is high energy. I don't think you would have too much trouble learning this step tape and do this one day to get a really good workout, then the next day do the more difficult step to learn the choreography.

IMAX has MIC and Rhythmic Step. MIC is also very high intensity but simple step choreography and also has floor aerobics. Rhythmic Step is diffiicult chereography.

IMAX is a great combination DVD and I cannot recommend it highly enough.

Yen

I agree with Tracey -- just decide which of these workouts you will tackle next, and then tack on one combination to the end of your usual workout each day until you've got it down.

The longer you step with Cathe, the more moves you will learn and the more used to her cueing you will become. One day you will find that you can do almost an entire new workout even on the first try -- very exciting!

Thank you guys for your suggestions! I think that is a fantastic idea to tack on a combo to the end of my regular workout until I get down all the moves! I will try that! I have found that Cathe's cueing is fantastic, though...which is SO helpful!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.