Step Shox: Worth It?

sunsdaughter

Cathlete
hello!
i came across Step Shox (shock absorbers for the step) on Amazon today and wanted to know if anyone here has tried these. do they really lessen the impact noticeably? For just $10/pair, i'm tempted to order some...but only if they really do what they say...
thoughts?
thanks,
SC

I've been using these for months. I haven't felt a noticeable difference in impact on my joints but they make my step(ping) quieter. (The banging/thumping of plastic against plastic is definitely reduced during step routines.) Making my stepping quieter is worth $10 in and of itself. I feel less like a hippo.

I saw the step shox at walmart.com and was interested in them too, but, instead of buying them, I actually had a couple of those big floor puzzle pieces that I wasn't using and I just traced out the inside of my risers on them and then cut them out of the puzzle pieces. I'm sure the more official ones fit better, but, these have definitely made my stepping quieter. Not sure how much cushioning they give. But, I always use my home-made ones. :)

I got them, but don't use them. They slipped all over the place, which was dangerous! I bought 2 sets, & both of them slipped. I did not notice any less impact on my joints, although other people on here raved about the difference...

I have the Step Shox. I have terrible issues with my left knee (post ACL repair with little to no cartilage left in my left knee) and can only do step or high impact once or maybe twice a week. I had great hopes for the Step Shox but cannot tell that they make any difference at all.

Just wanted to add that I also have the Step Shox, and they are the first Cathe product I've purchased that I wouldn't recommend. As others have said, they slip and I just don't think they make a difference. Before we got these, DH and I used to drape a towel over the top of our risers (under the step), and that worked just as well in terms of noise reduction. (Plus the towel never slipped like the Shox do.)

I DO recommend getting the newer Cardio Club Step topper if you don't have it. That made a big difference for me over the older style step. It has a sleeker design and some additional shock absorbing capabilities. Much more than $10, but definitely worth it if you are ever in the market or want to drop some $$$ on a fitness product. :)

lisa_la_machina said:
Just wanted to add that I also have the Step Shox, and they are the first Cathe product I've purchased that I wouldn't recommend. As others have said, they slip and I just don't think they make a difference. Before we got these, DH and I used to drape a towel over the top of our risers (under the step), and that worked just as well in terms of noise reduction. (Plus the towel never slipped like the Shox do.)

I DO recommend getting the newer Cardio Club Step topper if you don't have it. That made a big difference for me over the older style step. It has a sleeker design and some additional shock absorbing capabilities. Much more than $10, but definitely worth it if you are ever in the market or want to drop some $$$ on a fitness product. :)

Ooooo, I've been debating getting the cardio club topper!!! What to do, what to do? :) do u think it really makes a difference with shock absorption?

Ooooo, I've been debating getting the cardio club topper!!! What to do, what to do? :) do u think it really makes a difference with shock absorption?

Yes, I think it makes a difference. I know it's a lot more expensive than the Shox. I still use my "old" original step topper for a weight bench (just because I have it and may as well use it for something!), and it just feels so stiff compared to the Cardio Club version.

I purchased the Shox also. I used them one time. :rolleyes:

I will have to check this cardio club out -- thanks!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.