Step for cardio?

Jdnara

Hello

I'm doing Sts currently and would like to add some cardio on my non lifting days. I typically do one of Cathe's kickboxing routines, but I was thinking to try step. Which step workout is your favorite?

Thanks for the suggestions. I did party rockin step 1 by accident. The choreography was a bit tricky but I managed. I will try step 1 next cardio day. Thanks..

Jdnara,

The above recommendations are great suggestions. Here are a few more that I enjoy Step Moves, definitely Athletic Step, Intensity has a fun Step only Premix that will have you smiling and of course, 4Day Split has some award winning step routines. Go for it!

Happy Stepping & Rock STS!

Low max, cardio leg blast, IMAX 1, 2 or 3, if you like circuits...low impact circuit, cardio and weights. PLUS all the other posters suggestions too! Too many to choose just one or two!

Hi Jdnara,

My favorite Cathe DVDs for cardio are Low Max, Low Impact Challenge, Low Impact Circuit, Body Max 2, Party Rockin Step 1 &2, and, because it's the workout that introduced me to Cathe way back, Step Works. Hope this helped you. Good luck!

I love all of the routines mentioned so far, but wanted to add Rhythmic Step and Step Blast. The foot patterns are tricky on both, but in the long run, that is actually the aspect that makes them the most fun. Also, even though it is a circuit workout, I love the step in Low Impact Circuit!

I'm not one for tricky choreo, so my faves are:

- Low Impact: Cardio Supersets (the 20 min bonus step workout)
- Intensity: Cardio & Weights (*all time fav!)
- BodyBlast: Step, Jump & Pump (the Step/Pump premix)
- Low Impact: Athletic Training
- Low Impact Circuit

Hi,
I am also looking for some suggestions.
I have basic step and body fusion as I had never done step before and these two were meant to be the easiest, when I first did basic step I didn't think it was easy at all, I am not good with complicated choreography and I thought it was too hard but after about 3 times through I just about got it, now I can do them both perfectly all the way through, I usually do them one after the other for a good workout.
I am looking for a few new ones now but looking at the video clips they all look so hard with a lot of complicated moves, I don't have good coordination so I don't want anything too dancy, if it is too complicated I will probably just give up.
I really love the step for my cardio days but I just don't know which ones to go for next.
I hope someone can help
Thanks

The ones I mentioned above are non-dancy Maisy006.

I'm so glad you persevered and learned the step movements in Basic Step and Body Fusion. Step is fun when you know all the steps, otherwise it can be a bit frustrating.

Last edited:
Thanks firelight, I will have a look at those, I thought i would try step as it looked fun, the first time I did basic step I thought this is so hard, it isn't for me but as I had bought the step I thought I had better try harder so I did keep trying and amazingly I picked it up after a few more tries, i gave it about a month before trying body fusion, I was so scared it was going to be harder but I picked it up quite quickly.
Once you know the routine is is so much fun.
I Want a few more though before I get too bored of the two that I have.

Thanks firelight, I will have a look at those, I thought i would try step as it looked fun, the first time I did basic step I thought this is so hard, it isn't for me but as I had bought the step I thought I had better try harder so I did keep trying and amazingly I picked it up after a few more tries, i gave it about a month before trying body fusion, I was so scared it was going to be harder but I picked it up quite quickly.
I didn't expect to like step that much, but Athletic Step was the first to change my mind about that... The choreography is simpler and I enjoyed it a lot. You might also like IMAX 2, each of the 10 circuits includes a relatively simple step section that you repeat six times before moving on to the blast portion. The repetition helps learning a lot. Also, if you have CatheLive, I think the step classes aren't as dancey as some of the DVDs. I really liked the Road Trip Step Blast (7/26/14) and Step on It (7/16/15).

I do love step, I just wish I was more coordinated, I think I just need to take the time to learn them, once I know the moves I'm fine, as long as they aren't too complicated.
I think I will try athletic step, low impact step, step blast and maybe cardio fusion, that one has segments from different workouts.
There is an offer on downloads at the moment so I can get a few.
I don't have cathe live, I usually just go for the downloads, there is usually an offer on and the DVDs are expensive in the uk.
Thanks for all your help :)

The two DVDs you have will grow fast on you. The learning curve goes fast {"I picked it up after a few more tries"} with these beginner DVDs because Cathe takes on a slower tempo and caters to the beginner. Preview all your step DVDS to know what to expect ( Cathe highly recommends this ) & it really helps. Your coordination will come as you practice step more often.

I think I will try athletic step, low impact step, step blast and maybe cardio fusion, that one has segments from different workouts.

These are great choices. Good luck and soon you will have some favorite moves like the hip hop, pendulum or the ricochet, that brings a smile every time you do it!

Enjoy your step workouts Maisy006!

As you improve, check out the workouts recommended by the other Cathletes, Those workouts move faster and have a springy rhythm to them, but also challenge your heart rate, while the music has you singing to the tunes. By then you will be a fantastic stepper!
Keep us posted on your progress.

Well I tried low impact step first and it wasn't too hard, I picked most of it up the second time around, I've used the workout blender to make a workout from basic step, body fusion and low impact step, i think it will stop me getting bored. Once I've tried the others I will just mix them all up in the workout blender so I'll have plenty of different workouts to do.
I'm starting to really love step now, I've always hated cardio, I much prefer my weights but step doesn't have that dread factor that a lot of cardio has.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.