Starting STS (1st time) Tomorrow!!! (7-8-12)

Hi Meredith,
I discovered that I can change the 1RM numbers in Workout Manager. Are you using it as a tracking tool? Since Week 2 I've been noticing that I can lift heavier weight than what the worksheet tells me. So I note the number of the weight that I lift on the worksheet. After the work out I got to Workout Manager and put in the actual weight that I used. Last night I discovered that there is a "calculate 1RM" option (a picture of a calculater) on the worksheet in Workout Manager. It allows me put the weight that I want to use and then it updates your 1RM for that excerise. I don't think you neccessarily have to re-do the 1RM test. Just update the heaviest you can lift in good form at where you are now (Week1 or Week2 ) and the system will calculate 1RM for you. I find this tool very helpful. :)

Good luck!

Justina

Story (what's your real name?), thanks for that explanation. I guess I'm doing the 3.5 month then. :)

Justina, funny you should mention it because I just figured that out before I came here. The workout manager is pretty darn cool!

Hi Meredith! My name is Suzanne...it's hidden below my weight loss ticker LOL.

Good luck with the 3.5 month program. I keep reading about people doing "side lying one arm push ups" and thinking......:eek:!

I have very uneven strength and flexibility so I really want to take it slow, and get absolutely everything I can out of the program.

I'm looking forward to beginning my 1RM testing. I agree the Workout Manager is a terrific tool.

I just figured out last night (and I've been on these forums for a while now :eek:) that the tabs on the home page of the WM are clickable and that there's information stored away back there.....who knew!?

Well, I'm off to do my 4DS-BC which is on tap for today.

Enjoy your days everyone!

Meredith, I use the SPRI brand of bands - the blue one - which I believe is the 2nd strongest one there is in that brand. I use the door attachment and sit back as FAR as I can so that pulling it down is as hard as it can get. The way you position your arms makes a difference too. I like to keep my arms close to my body as it feels like a better workout to me that way. Though I do alternate that position as Cathe suggests. When I went to go lookup the name of the band for you I just learned they have one stronger than the one I have (it's a purple one) - I think I am going to order that!

Si, I am doing the 3 month rotation. Though I am planning on pyramiding back down - that is repeating M2 and M1 right after M3. That's of course if Cathe's new strength series doesn't come out by then - as I certainly will be anxious to start that!

Si, that's great you can follow along on your iPhone at the gym. The weights ready in every size available must be a huge help! We always joke about how our workout area looks after our workouts from M1 with all the weight changes - like a hurricane came through!

Keep up the good work ladies! :)

Dawn, thanks for the info on the bands and the form. I'm going to look into that! Where do you buy from?

Suzanne, thanks! And good luck to you too!

Si, how did legs go for you? I did that one today and thought of you!

How do you all get those tickers in your signatures?

Have a great Friday!

Hello!!!

Meredith, Legs were super hard!!! I almost didn't make it through it, but somehow I pushed through!!! I can't wait to build strength in my legs. But I liked how Cathe mixed up the exercises and put a twist on all of them. I did like the fire walkers. It is the squats and lunges that I struggle with. I was going to do the 6.5 month rotation, but decided that I'm going to give the 3.5 a try and then will probably do it all again. How would you rate your first week of STS? I would say it was challenging, but that for the most part I super enjoyed it and already feel stronger (is that possible, lol?!?).

Justina, I love the workout manager and find it so helpful to track my progress. Good to know about changing the 1RM.

Daybreak, Great idea to pyramid back down with the rotation. I may have to try that. I'll have to check in with you when you are doing that to see how you like it.

Suzanne, you must be getting excited to start STS!

Have a great weekend everyone!

Meredith! In workout manager there's a tab at the top for cathe fun and that's where the tickers r. :)

Meredith! I'm about to do my first STS video for week 2!!! Spent the day cooking for the week and eating some yummy food. ;) wish me luck with all those pushups and good luck with ur w/o tomorrow!

Si. Would you be so kind as to re-post a link to your blog? I see it mentioned but can't find the original post with the link. I'm very interested in nutrition and cooking and love to get different perspectives. Thanks! :)

Working my way through 1RM testing. Placed my pre-order today for the NEXT series...:eek:.... and took that as an opportunity to order Ab Circuits as I did not order that one with STS.

Hi Suzanne, yes it is called thyme to spice it up over at blogspot. If u just type in thymetospiceitup and finish it with a dot com it will take u there directly! Grt to hear ur into cooking and nutrition. You shld enjoy the blog then! Enjoy! :)

Thanks so much Si! I found your blog and "liked" you on facebook. I'll enjoy delving deeper into the blog when I have a few moments. Much appreciated!

Thanks so much Suzanne! Glad to have you as a part of the Thyme to Spice It Up community. Thanks for the support and enjoy! :)

Meredith!
I'm checking in! I am so sore from yesterday's disc 4! Feels good though. Tomorrow is Disc 5, wahoo! How did your workout go today? I did some Slide and Glide Cardio today and sweat like crazy and had so much fun with it! Have you tried that one yet? I didn't pre-order XTrain. Figured I'd stick with STS and different rotations of it for a while. I hope you are enjoying your week and had a good STS workout today. Night!

Hi MacKenzie!

Hi Si! I was feeling Disk 4 after I was done, and today after I was done, I was wondering if Cardio Kicks was the best cardio pick, since I am doing back tomorrow. I have wondered that about doing Low Max before the legs day too, since Low Max is very leg oriented (although it doesn't use weights). Anyway, yes, I have the whole low impact series (except the bike one), but haven't done most of them because of the problem of finding a good surface for the disks. I have hardwood in my house, and it works great there, but I workout in my garage, which has the padded, puzzle piece flooring. Now that I picked up a small area rug, I'll see about doing more of the low impact videos.

I think you were smart to wait on the pre-order. I always seem to get sucked up into the craze :) I'm sure I have so many Cathe's that I'll never need another one, but it's nice to have sometime new to do and I love doing the same workouts that everyone else is doing and comparing notes (like we are with STS!) :)

I still haven't figured out my best option for replacing the chin-up/pull-up moves. My friend probably hasn't even started on my home made pull-up gizmo, so I guess I'll use the bands. If only a gravitron machine would fall from the sky (and gently) land in my back yard :) Love those assisted pull-up machines!

Have a great day!

Hi Meredith!

Yay, we made it to week 3!!! How is yours going? Wow, I've been so busy with work, cooking classes and retreats. I'm prepping for my Seaweed 101 trip this weekend.

My biceps and chest were so sore this week and I had a hard time getting through all of those pushups! I just kept modifying and on some only went down halfway. Were you able to figure out the chin ups?

Today I completed Shoulders and Back and I just wasn't sweating as much and felt like I could lift more weight since the previous 2 weeks. I think I just got stronger and needed the first two weeks to break me in or something!

I hope your workouts are going well and think that it is so awesome that you won of of the LIS! I want to get the Cardio Supersets. Do you like that one? How is your morning eating going?

Have a great week!

Hi, are you doing cardio on your days off, I goin to start today with the same rotation but I want to try to do like,mon and thur #1, tus and fri #2, wed and sat #3, I need to get my body muscle definition. Wath you think, advice please. Thank you.

Hi Mariposa,
I am doing STS on M, W, F and Cardio/Abs on T/TH. I am taking Sat/Sun as rest days. Hope that is helpful!

Hello Mariposa, yes I do cardio on my off days and I otherwise follow the program as cathe outlines (3x wk for weights), but I'm new at this. Any one else have anything to add? Good luck!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.