starting over basically

aussiekers

Cathlete
hi Cathe, it's been a long time since I've been on any exercise regimens, but next week is my last round of chemo, after 22 weeks. I have gained weight from the Meds and have a month before radiation to gain some strength and energy and hopefully loose some weight. Have you ever worked with cancer patients in getting them back on a plan? I have many, many of the videos you put out and was wondering if you had any suggestions for someone who hasn't worked out really for 9 months. I know once I get back to your DVD's it will seem like old times. It will be like starting all over I'm afraid!

Would you recommend just walking til I build strength or adding in some yoga and stretching with that. I never see much in the way of pounds leaving til I add in weights, but maybe that should wait.

Hi there,
Not Cathe but I work in oncology so I have somewhat of an idea of how difficult these past 22 weeks of chemo must have been. Your body needs time to heal so I wouldn't recommend anything too strenuous until you've recovered from the radiation - which can also be very tiring in itself. Your idea of gentle yoga / stretching sounds appropriate, walking even on a treadmill - just try not to sprint! I don't think I'd be adding weights at this point as it results in muscle breakdown/ tears in order to build the muscle which would be quite taxing on your body.
Hopefully Cathe will respond with some suggestions. Take care of yourself and try focus on your health and nutrition now - I know, easy for me to say....
Jamie

Hi there,
Not Cathe either, but I saw your post and wanted to touch base with you. I finished all of my cancer-related treatments around Halloween of 2014. Because of the type of cancer I had, I received treatments (including radiation) between September 2013 and Halloween 2014, almost a year and half of treatment. I too gained weight (30 pounds). For me, I exercised when I felt good and kept the weights REAL low, 5 pounds was the max I did. After the treatments, I started with 5 pounds, even when I felt like I could do more (the 5 pound weights were heavy at times). Each week or so I added a pound. The process was slow, but not too bad. It went a lot quicker than you would imagine. I was not over tired and I did not injure myself thinking (and trying) to do more than I new I should be doing. Now I am just about back to where I was (weights-wise) before the diagnosis. I have lost about 10 pounds and am working on the remaining 20. Interestingly, my cardio capacity came back faster than my muscle endurance. I guess I focused on my heart more because of the damage the chemo drugs can do to the heart. Anyway, you will get there, but do take it slow. Don't push it and have a relapse or injury.
Also, I don't know if you had lymph nodes removed, but if you did, wear a compression sleeve. The doctor should have told you about it if it is an issue. You have to be measured for them but the website should tell you how to measure. I wear one while exercising and about an hour afterwards - when I remember. They are thin so they fit comfortable under clothing and weight gloves (and boxing gloves too).
Good luck with everything. Contact me if you have any questions.
Murphy

Thanks for the replies! I had the last chemo today. I will try some yoga to get me gently stretched out and walking for this month then. Maybe this also will let me build up my strength since I really haven't done much this whole time. Just dealt with whatever symptoms I needed to. I WILL be back to my routine...just wish it would be quicker but it's taken several months to lose the muscle tone so probably a bit longer to get it back. I'm hoping that I'm off the steroid that will help too!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.