Standing Leg & Floor Work

lanklam

Hi,

There are days when I will do my standing leg work, and the next day the floor work. I understand to leave at least 48 hours between strengh workouts, but does this include floor work too? I use 5lb ankle weights for floor work (12lbs for some inner thigh and hamstring work) My standing workouts are heavy (50 - 70 lbs). And...how important is floor work? What are the differences between doing standing only workouts vs doing standing w/ floor work? I just can't seem to get in a standing work and a floor workout at the same time. Especially when I need to do a cardio and/or arms the same day. And add in abs...and there is just not enough time. So, I try to break up the week so I can get in...2-3 weight days for legs and/or arms, 4 days of cardio, 2 days floor and 5 days of abs. With only an hour or so a day...with only an average of 4-5 days... It's hard to schedule workouts so I can't always wait that 48 hours for floor work. (Standing leg work is always more important to get in...than floor...to me anyway.) It's really hard getting it all in!! I'd appreciate all suggestions. Thanks.

Hi there!
I'm not sure what your goals are for your lower body, but I have been using the Lower Body Solution by Laura Dayton to lean out. She advocates a minimum of 4 days per week for legs with a goal of 6 days. Her format breaks it down exactly as you've described, standing one day, floor the next. According to her rotations, you never do the same exercises in the same sequence on consecutive days. Also she recommends lowering your weight so you're using only 70-75% of your max.
I'm starting to see some results, (I'm in the process of building a new house, working part time and homeschooling 4 kids so consistency has been tough!)I'm also not having any problems with overuse aches and pains. Again though, with my current schedule, I'm only really faithful for about 3 weeks of the month.

I hope this information helped! :)
Becky

fitting it in

Hi Lanklam! That can be stressful "feeling" like you have to cram it all in! It's better to sit down, relax, re-evaluate your goals and put a plan into effect( with a complete workout program that gets you where you want to be)! I can make some suggestions for you but it will be more helpful if I know what videos you have and what equipment your working with! Just winging it here: break your workouts up in a way that's fitting to you--with cardio, weight training, kickboxing , step aerobics,pilates,yoga, upper/lower body splits,cardio machines,resistance training: For a 5 day workout sample you can do Total body weight training(abs),then Kickbox,lowerbody training abs,upperbody training abs,step aerobics (you'll be working your legs 4 days a week -upper 3 x abs will be worked daily throughout your workouts plus 3x)--there's soo many options--Since your focus is to improve the lower body and if you do decide to follow the lowerbody solution!The exercises performed each day must be carefully planned and sequenced!To be effective the program must always progress through varying cycles of exercises and intensities! Start out with a simple 3 week program, then evaluate progress and increase difficulty-continue for 3 weeks! At advanced level challenge your body by doing more reps,sets,highering the weight and cutting down on rest time! Also think about incorporating pilates for leg work,not only will it trim your thighs but it will give you great posture and keep you flexible! here's a helpful site
http://www.virtualfit-trainer.com/LBS.htm Good luck! Your friend in fitness~~ Francine

RE: fitting it in

Great Website, thanks for the info Francine!! I am going to give the advanced rotation a try!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.