Stability Ball Question

Helenw

Cathe, I am in need of a new stability ball and I noticed that they come in different sizes. Can you tell me which size you recommend to use in your workouts?
Thanks!:)

Hi Helen,

I'm not Cathe, but I just thought I'd jump in. I think the size of the ball depends on your height. I believe they come in three different sizes; short, medium, tall. The package should tell you what height so you'll know which ball to purchase.

Hope this helps!
Traci

Ball Diameter Person's Height
30 cm - 11.8" - Under 4'6"
45 cm - 17.7" - 4'6" to 5'0"
55 cm - 21.6” - 5’1” to 5’7”
65 cm - 25.5” - 5’8” to 6’1”
75 cm - 29.5” - 6’2” to 6’7”
85 cm - 33.5” - 6’7” and up

www.power-systems.com

These are actually very loose guidelines. It's also something of personal preference. Ultimately, if you are sitting on the ball, you want your thighs parallel to the ground. For example, I'm 5'9" but I have a 75 cm ball. The 65 was way too small for me. See if you can find a gym or gym supply store that has some inflated whereyou can test them out at and try the different sizes to find one that works for you.

Hi Helen! The size of ball is actually determined by your height rather than the type of exercises used. Being that you say you are in need of a NEW one, does that mean you already owned one? If so and you liked it, I would order the same one. If you are not sure what size that was then it is best to go woth the general guidelines for a starting point. I find 55cm and 65cm balls to be the most popular size choices. Usually 55cm is good for a height of up to 5'6" or 5'7" and then 65cm for up to 5'11".

Helpful Hint: If after you have used your ball, you are finding the exercises way too difficult due to balance issues, let a little air out of your ball (creating more of a stable base) until you get better at the exercises.

Good Luck!

Cathe, I just got back from vacation. Thanks for your reply and for everyone elses. I "inherited" my old ball and will buy the new one according to my height.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.