squats - leg position question

Jul

Cathlete
Hi Cathe,
I do squats with your various tapes typically 3 days per week (alternating with cardio days).

This a.m. as I did Muscle Endurance, I wondered how and if squats work the legs differently depending on how far apart the legs are. Your squats are usually done with legs about shoulder width apart, but is there any difference in muscle conditioning when the legs are brought closer together or spread farther apart? Is this something that I should change up now and then?

Just curious.:)

HI,

Not Cathe but I'll give it a go lol...

As I'm sure you know, standing with your legs very far apart creates the Plie Squat which targets the inner thighs. In many workouts, Cathe usually says something along the lines of, "I'll be standing with my legs a little wider than shoulder width apart; do what works for you." For regular squats, standing with your legs closer together or a little wider than shoulder width is a matter of preference and comfort. Both target the same areas.

Hope that helps.

Gina

Thank you for your reply. You are right that spreading the legs very far apart does work the inner thighs more, even when the toes are still pointed forward.

What about when the legs are brought close together, with the knees nearly touching? I've noticed some other instructors do this, but I don't know how it affects the leg muscles.

Anyone?:)

I think when your knees are touching, you work the same muscles. I hardly see anyone do this anymore. Maybe it's the "old" way of doing squats.

Gina

Hi Jul~I don't remember where I read it, but years ago I read that if your legs are closer together, you work the glutes more and farther apart, you work the quads more. I DO think I feel my rear more when they are closer.
Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif[/img] If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.