Squats/knee problems

lala1

Cathlete
Just had a physical and mentioned to my dr that I'm having knee pain mostly when I come down steps. She's concerned. She knows i exercise and lift and as soon as I told her she asked, "Do you do squats?" She thinks that they are bad for my knees as well as stepping up on a high step. at the same time recognizes that squats are muscle builders. She was perplexed as to what I could substitute, beig that if I stop, my quads won't be as strong, thus affecting my knee, too. Anyway, she recommended fewer squats, every other day, ibuprofen. So yesterday I did the squats in GSLegs but with a lower wei ght. Today my knee hurts:(
Anyway, I don't go more than 40 lbs on my squats. Should I do leg raises on a lower step (mine is 14"), lower my weights on squats???

I know this is long, but all help is appreciated!

what about leg extensions(like cathe does in legs and glutes for quads) and lying leg curls with ankle weights? did she says those were okay? when my knee is givng me problems i usually do leg extensions while sitting in a chair and lying leg curls for my hamstrings and glutes with ankle weights. maybe you can ask her? then when your knee is feeling better you can go back to squats.

kassia

When they discover the center of the universe, a lot of people will be
disappointed to discover they are not it -- Bernard Bailey

Thanks, yes, it seemed to me that leg extensions were a possible alternative. That's a good idea:)

Maybe you should experiment with form. My knees don't hurt with squats when I do them correctly - butt WAAYY back and knees never over the toes. If I do them wrong, they hurt. I have more problems with lunges, but that's me.

I also take time off from them until you feel no pain walking down the steps, then slowly add them in again. Maybe it was too much too soon?

Also are doing a lot of step work - especially something like Low Max or the the other IMax's? Low Max hurts my knees with all of the twisting (I modify it now and don't have that problem) and the IMax's with their high impact can be hard on knees.

Also you said - every other day? Maybe try doing lower body work twice a week for a while. Yeah, a lot of the other videos have squats in them, but you can modify a bit.

My form is good, but I agree that lunges give me more problems as far as discomfort than squats. I vary my aerobics: step, kick box, inline skating, swimming (when I can get to the pool!) and maybe the high impact of the IMaxes is catching up to me!! And yes, I probably do have to take time off for a while--that is the hard part, but I remind myself that it's better now than having to have surgery or something down the road!

I also developed a knee problem from squats a few months ago. Squats caused pain in the back right side behind my right knee, but interestingly lunges caused no pain at all. I went to an orthopedic surgeon and had an MRI done. The MRI showed mild fraying of the lateral meniscus and tendinosis. I was put on Limbrel, which is natural plant-derived flavocoxids, to treat inflammation. I was also told to limit my cardio to non-impact exercise like spinning, elliptical machine, and swimming for the time being. The doctor told me the cause was DEEP squats, below parallel to the ground, and to keep my squats to slightly above parallel. I'm 48, and I discussed with him that I'm a high-impact junkie and have been for years, and he told me that my knees are in great shape and that there's no reason not to continue with the high impact, but first let the injury heal. Well, it's now 3 months later and the pain has been completely gone for over 2 months. I'm careful with my squats but have completely resumed all of my other fitness activities.

I disagree with leg extensions being a good alternative to squats if you have knee problems. They put much more stress on the knee in a loaded position, IMO. If you CAN do them, definitely limit your range of motion. Better would be wall squats, either against a wall or door, or against a stability ball that is against the wall or door (be sure not to round or arch your back). Go down to as deep as you can (to a miximum of 90-degree bent in the leg) and hold for as long as you can, then go up a bit higher (less of a bend) and hold there as well. Make sure to put your feet out far enough in front of you to keep the knee over the ankle or even over the heel (not toward the toe). To progress, add time and/or resistance (dumbbells held at the side).

I have the same trouble. When I do do squats I don't go down to 90 degrees and that seems to help. Also, I never do leg press on the step. Hurts too much.

Kathryn, I had a trainer recommend the stability ball wall squats to me and they worked well!!

Sparrow

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.