Squat Thrust Climbers!!

willowe

Cathlete
Hi All,
I did Bootcamp for the first time today and loved it - tough but fun!!
Anyway, I just wondered if anyone else has trouble doing those squat thrust climbers? I am very tall and have long legs, and found that I didn't really have enough room between my chest and the floor when in the squat thrust position to do this move with any success! Is this a height thing, or am I just kidding myself? I really did try to do them - I even paused my DVD player and tried to do them more slowly, which was a little easier, but not much. If I did the exercise as Cathe and crew were, my legs kept getting "stuck" underneath me and I just kept "knee-ing" myself in the boobs:eek: !! The only way I could do them was to stick my bum right up in the air (not a pretty sight - even my 6 week old son looked bemused by this!!) in order to give me enough space. However, this position felt unsafe for my back and put too much of my weight-load on my wrists. Any suggestions? Does anyone else struggle with these "anatomically"?.
Thanks for any feedback!
Kaz.

I think I am similarly proportioned except I have no boobs so I'm safe there. }(
Anyway, what I did is stick my bum-substitute up(as an American, I have a butt instead) as you suggest. My wrists were ok and it didn't hurt my back since you're only in that position for a short time. Sorry I can't provide any other hints. I also have a problem with Leaner Legs when she says for your elbows to hit your knees during the abs work. Mine hit my mid-thigh and it feels very awkward in that position. But oh well, most of the time it is nice to be leggy. It makes the speed skater thing in Boot Camp and interval 6 in Imax1 more fun, right?

Mogambo - you are so right! I found the speed skater cardio in Bootcamp about the "easist" of them all. And I managed to keep up with Interval 6 of Imax 2 as well - so as we Brits would say, I guess it's "swings and roundabouts" - we taller girls can do things shorter girls can't and vice-versa! Vive la difference, eh?.;)
Kaz

If I did the exercise as Cathe
>and crew were, my legs kept getting "stuck" underneath me and
>I just kept "knee-ing" myself in the boobs:eek: !! >

Oh my god that is too funny! I just almost peed myself laughing at this (sorry it was at your expense).

I don't have boobs to hit, but after the second one or so I just end up falling in a heap if I keep going, so I modify. My goal is to do one more of these buggers each time I do bootcamp until I can do them all.

They are definitely nasty! That's why she calls them the Terminators.

I also find these quite challenging - I hadn't initially thought of it as an anatomical thing, but yes, my legs are quite long and it did feel like they had to move quite a way with no room to do what they had to do!

I will keep at it and try get it eventually, but in the meantime, I've modified a bit. I squat down, straighten the left leg, then the right, then bring the left leg in and then the right(each movement is one beat), then it's up and jump with Cathe and crew. I find my heartrate is right up there, so while I'm modifying, I don't feel as if I'm cheating!

I LOVE THIS WORKOUT!!!!!!!!

I modify the same way, I squat and then straighten my legs one at a time, then I scissor with little jumps and then jump in and up with Cathe and crew. My heartrate still sores because this is still hard for me. Each time though I try to do a few not modified and hopefully eventually I can do them all! I'm having fun though and that's what matters!

Angela

Those squat thrust climbers are a killer! I unfortunately don't have any boobs to contend with but that portion of Bootcamp is the toughest for me...well, 60 seconds does fly on by!

Beth K.

I just ordered Bootcamp yesterday and I am very tall too, five foot ten! Now I am really scared about those climbers. I have watched the streaming video about 10 times and now I want a medicine ball. I cant wait to get this tape. I dont have any boobs either but I do have a big butt that I can stick up in the air. (tee hee)

Madonna

:p

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.