Spot Exercises?

Kristina36

Cathlete
I have a question in regard to which videos or exercises you do as an add-on to your regular rotations. I've noticed that I get the best results when I do 3 days of lower body work per week, whether it's floorwork with ankle weights and added dumbell, tallbox work, etc. If I'm on a PS rotation doing one PS tape 3x per week, I'm only getting 1 lower body strength workout per week, and I'm going to need to do 2 more to get the results that work best for me, so I'm thinking of either purchasing a lower body video (around 20-30 minutes in length) or devising a series of lower body exercises to do in the evening. I'm wondering if anyone else does this, or something similar?

I was looking at Collage's website, and there are a few videos that fit the criteria I'm looking for, i.e. Gilad, Kathy Smith, and a couple of others that hit the lower body. I was thinking about tacking one of these onto one of my cardio days.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to get more lower body work in, or what videos you use to accomplish this, I would appreciate hearing them. :)

The Firm's Lower Body Sculpting would probably be right up your alley. It's all floor work. The workout is 20 minutes with a 9-minute warm-up/cooldown.

They also have Sculpted Buns, Hips & Thighs with Tracy Long. It's 45 minutes long and lifted from the Crosstrainers. I haven't done it in forever because it seems to be mostly abs. I think LBS is better even though I love Tracy.

Could you do the lower body work (standing legwork) in MIS which I believe is approximately 18 minutes plus add the wedding video floorwork for butt and thighs which is around 12 or so minutes? I love the wedding video floorwork (with ankle weights of course).
Not sure if you have those 2 tapes, but I like that combination.

Lisa

I usually do PS Series with another total body workout like MIS or PowerHour so that I can get in 2 upper body workouts each week, but I also do 3 lower body workouts/week regardless of my rotation, so here are some of the other lower body workouts I use after a cardio:
CTX Leaner Legs
Firm: Sculpted Hips, Thighs & Buns(non-weighted, need ankle weights)
Firm: Standing Legs
MIS (legs portion)
S&H (legs portion)
PS-Legs
Reebok Versa Training Strong Legs (non-weighted, need ankle weights)
Donna

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Apr-02-02 AT 04:57PM (Est)[/font][p]Thanks for all of the great advice. I actually forgot about the Firm's LBS and SBHT (I have these, but have not done them for awhile and had just forgotten about them). I may do 1 or both once a week and see how that works.

I also love the suggestion about The Wedding Video and MIS - I've only done MIS once, but it sounds like the perfect length as an add-on. Since TWV has moderate floorwork, I usually add the 5 lb. ankle weights when I do it, I can feel it the next day doing it this way.

I have all of Cathe's tapes (and all of the FIRM's except Basics and Prime Powers) except for S&H, Step Fit and Step-N-Motion, so I'll have quite a bit to choose from with what I have, but I may check out that Reebok tape you suggested, Donna.

Thanks again for the suggestions!

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Apr-03-02 AT 06:08AM (Est)[/font][p]I wasted too much money on Firm lower body floor work tapes, and I just tack on hamstring curls, leg extensions, and fitball inner thigh squeezes or another inner thigh exercise to a tape like Leaner Legs, Standing Legs, or PS legs. Doing this twice a week has worked for me as well if not better than overworking my legs more than 2 days a week.

BUT THAT'S JUST ME.....your results may vary. We were not created equal in the leg mush department. I have mushy legs, but a flat gut, a small behind and really good upper body muscles. Thems the cards I was dealt, so I work around it.

I'd also add that the floor leg work from Karen Voight's Great Weighted Workout is a great addition. Also, doing either the cardio section from CTX Power Circuit or doing Circuit Max using your barbell for squats etc instead of doing the upper body work are both great ways to get in a combined leg/cardio workout, the first option being a little less intense and shorter in duration.

Stacy

I've saved all of your suggestions to a file, and will definitely be incorporating them during the upcoming weeks.

I've also heard that the floor section from Karen V's GWW is pretty intense, so I may be purchasing that tape just for the floorwork. Power Circuit is also another great suggestion, that one has some good lower body work I remember.

Thanks again!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.