Spinning Bike for Home use/ Fly wheel

I have a spin bike and the Costco one ( only the second product picture came up) certainly looks like a spin bike. even the video shows the woman in a spin posture etc. it does not look like a regular fitness bike. I have a Lamond spin bike I like a lot, but then it's the only one I've ever used so that's a good thing.
Costco always stands behind their products and usually pricing is very good. the price of this one suggests it's solid. I skipped anything too inexpensive since there are 2 of us using it, we use it a lot , and have a hx of burning out equipment.
I meant to look to see if it had any electronic display. Mine does and I recommend that if you can swing it. I like to see cadence, heart rate, MPH etc so you can see if you're getting better , and give you definite numbers for when Cathe says to "increase by 10% or 20%.

Thanks for your response Traildoggie! We are also looking at the Lamond, the Pro model. Which one did you get? Glad to know the electronic display is worth it. we're going back to see it again tomorrow. :)

Ours is several years old but it's been solid . the electronic display is not fancy but shows heart rate with a chest strap, and mph, time, mileage. DH likes to see MPH but I don't care about that. there are other features, but HR and cadence are what I pay attention to. the HR is best way for me to monitor how hard I'm working. I have a peak rate of low 150's and the monitor/chest strap is very responsive to changes. I also like cadence. I don't think I have "fast legs" and seeing the numbers help me see if I'm trying hard enough, improving. etc. when cathe does a surge and she asks for 10-20% and if I see my cadence is 60, then I know 70-75 is reasonable. it doesn't feel all that different to me, but the numbers don't lie. when I started using the bike regularly, really only a few weeks ago, my cadence was 90 max and now I can do closer to 100, even up to 106 briefly. a nice way to see progress.
we had some personal issues first...DH wanted clipless pedals and I didn't, so I had to change out the pedals every time I used it. only a screwdriver but an extra few minutes. an extra step and so I didn't use it much. sometimes "convenience" wins. he recently decided he's OK with plain toe baskets so it's much easier for both of us to jump on and ride. the bike is infinitely adjustable, forward, back up and down. it sounds like this model will accomodate either without having to change pedals.

when we bought , it was the only spin bike any store had to show us. everything else was mail order, $3000+ models or $259 walmart specials. this was all we could physically go test and neither of us had done spinning before. Costco didn't have anything then. there are things I want to test drive and not do blindly thru mail order. It felt solidly made and looked "not cheap". you know when you adjust parts and they feel like they'd break easily? this was not like that at all. we've been happy and use it several times a week.

Just finished doing my taxes and I'm getting a refund! Is this a sign that I must finally get on board with spinning and buy a spin bike??? I have been going back and forth with this since Cathe's first spin DVD....I don't really have room for one....but who really needs a couch? Company can always sit on my weight bench (or the bike for that matter!)!

since I originally posted in this thread thought I would give a update - my cheaper bike is still doing really well and I'm still spinning its been a year now and very much love it. I started with Cathe spin workouts but now only do Studio Sweat on demand. I've purchased several of their downloads. So thought I would just put in that spinning is no joke. It is a great cardiovascular and leg conditioning exercise.

After you graduate from Cathe's few and need more absolutely suggest you try SSOD workout if you fall in love with spin.

And Nanbo no you don't need a new couch LOL. I've got a 15 yo old one that I've just replaced the springs myself. I've kinda of got at 45 no desire to spend on house maybe later LOL I made a home for my boys but they are young adult now and getting lives of their own. I want to spend on me and living life. KWIM I don't plan on sitting on my couch much anyway :)

I love SSOD as well. My internet connection isn't always reliable so I no longer have the monthly subscription but have several downloads - definitely for my high energy days! My spinning bike was one of the best fitness purchases I've made. Nanbo, you can just get lawn chairs for your living room - easy to fold up and put away when there's no company!

Thanks for the SSOD link. I have not reached the point where Cathe's spin DVD's are too familiar. still find them challenging as it's only been a month since I got going on this. this looks very interesting for the future. I won't not be able to stream classes on my current set up and need to use DVD's. Jamie if you downloaded and burned to DVD's ...how did that work? did the home burned DVD's hold up?

My friend burned the downloads to DVD and they worked in her blueray player but not on my player at home - but mine's old so I'm sure if you're not like me and actually have new electronics it won't be a problem LOL!

we've had problems burning to any kind of disk and getting it to play. occasionally works but not regularly. we don't have blueray . for some reason the old players( 2) keep on working. I was thinking that that was a drawback with blueray, that "home" recorded downloads didn't play in them. maybe I am behind the curve again.

Finally did it... Bought a spin bike! Went all out and got the LifeFitness LifeCycle GX. Way more thean I intended to pay but by hubby expressed interest in getting into spinning as well so thought we'd get something a little more high end. This bike is beautiful (looks nice in my gym!), is belt drive, magnetic tension, 45lbs flywheel, and comes with a monitor to track calories, effort, etc. We had decided on getting the LeMond Pro but got to the store and they'd just received the LifeCycle.. It was still in the isle after being built! Fell in love with it immediately. Will try my 1st Cathe spin DVD tommorrw... Wish ke luck :)

I have been reading this thread. I have not done spinning but am very interested in getting into it. I also am looking into getting a bike for home use and was wondering if anyone had tried the Sunny Health Fitness Belt Driven Indoor Cycling Bike SF-1002??

I have been reading this thread. I have not done spinning but am very interested in getting into it. I also am looking into getting a bike for home use and was wondering if anyone had tried the Sunny Health Fitness Belt Driven Indoor Cycling Bike SF-1002??

Hi,

I have not tried the bike you are referring to.
I would like to share that getting bike has been one of the best treat ever to myself!

Have you checked reviews on amazon?
Hope you get more reviews from cathletes.

All the best,

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.