Spinal Stenosis...anyone else?

upnorthchick

Cathlete
So, I've been experiencing numbness and tingling in my right foot (when standing still), and some pain in the right side of my hinder. I had an MRI a couple weeks ago. Initially the results came back and I was told it was a bulging disc on my L4-L5. The doctor recommended I go to a neurosurgeon for a consultation for conservative treatments. Met with the neurosurgeon yesterday and he told me that I have Spinal Stenosis, a Synovial Cyst(like a blister on the spine), some joint facet degeneration, and a bulging disc. He pretty much told me that I could have Fusion surgery or Hemilaminectomy surgery. :mad:

Of course I took the news like a mature 42 year old and cried right there in the doctor's office. :eek:

I am completely blown away! I was thinking that a cortisone shot would be the solution or even just some physical therapy.

Obviously, I am getting a second(next week) and probably a third opinion after that.

I am only 42, I exercise daily w/Cathe DVD's for at least an hour, usually 2 hours. I feel betrayed by my body.

Has anyone else been diagnosed with this? What's been your experience? Treatment? Mine may be different because of the cyst but anything you'd like to share would be wonderful.

Thank you for listening. I'm just so disheartened right now.

Lisa

Last edited:
HI Lisa.

So sorry to hear about your troubles. Honestly, though, I'd get your second opinion from someone who is not necessarily a surgeon. Neurosurgeons make their money by doing surgery. I had the same problem. I ruptured a disc at L5-S1 (picture the disc gunk spilling out all over the nerves, causing a lot of nerve damage) and herniated the disc at L4-L5. The neurosurgeon said surgery was my best option. I did not want to hear that, so instead, I went to a neurologist who gave me all the non-surgery options. It took me far longer to heal then it would have with surgery, but I did heal on my own, with a ton of physical therapy. I even opted not to do the cortisone shots (that would have been my last resort).

Physical therapy saved me, that's for sure. I had lost the use of my calf, had really bad sciatic pain and had felt like I had a shoe filled with kitty litter. I couldn't even stand up straight or walk without dragging my leg behind me. Well, just about all of that is now gone, thanks to PT, and the symptoms that are left are very minor.

So don't panic yet. Surgery is not always the best option, trust me. Also, keep in mind that many people in the 40's have bulging discs and some degeneration. They just don't know it unless they have had the need to get an MRI. I've had "narrowing of the vertebrae" for years, but it didn't cause much trouble until the disc ruptured. Remember, MRIs pick up everything, even the normal effects of aging (not that you are old!)

Good luck with your second opinions. I hope you find someone who will work with you and your goals.

Take Care,
Shelbygirl

Shelbygirl,

THANK YOU!! It so nice to hear from someone who has made it through back/spine issues without surgery. It's very reassuring and inspirational. It sounds like you have made it through A LOT! Amazing!

My 2nd opinion will be from a sports medicine clinic. And now that I have gone through some initial "shock", I have a list of questions, have a list of my very specific symptoms, and from the input of helpful people like you - I have some "options" to inquire about. At the very least, I am more prepared for this upcoming visit.

Thank you for sharing!!

Lisa

Shelbygirl,

THANK YOU!! It so nice to hear from someone who has made it through back/spine issues without surgery. It's very reassuring and inspirational. It sounds like you have made it through A LOT! Amazing!

My 2nd opinion will be from a sports medicine clinic. And now that I have gone through some initial "shock", I have a list of questions, have a list of my very specific symptoms, and from the input of helpful people like you - I have some "options" to inquire about. At the very least, I am more prepared for this upcoming visit.

Thank you for sharing!!

Lisa

Lisa...

I have spinal stenosis as well, was discovered when I blew a disc years back. I went to see a neuro-surgeon, who put it..and I quote here..."I can cut open anytime, but non-surgical treatment is what I recommend".

I've worked out with Cathe since 2007, and my back has never felt better than it has these last two years. I can even do deadlifts now, I could never do these when I first started.

My biggest issue was/is balance..so I do incorporate beginner yoga. The only time "knock wood" I really feel it is when I've been driving a long distance. My experinece is that exercise is great therapy for spinal stenosis..and there's no greater "therapist", than Cathe..as you already know.

While all cases are different...I can tell you that spinal stenosis hasn't stopped me at all..and I hope the very best for you as well!

Lisa...

I have spinal stenosis as well, was discovered when I blew a disc years back. I went to see a neuro-surgeon, who put it..and I quote here..."I can cut open anytime, but non-surgical treatment is what I recommend".

I've worked out with Cathe since 2007, and my back has never felt better than it has these last two years. I can even do deadlifts now, I could never do these when I first started.

My biggest issue was/is balance..so I do incorporate beginner yoga. The only time "knock wood" I really feel it is when I've been driving a long distance. My experinece is that exercise is great therapy for spinal stenosis..and there's no greater "therapist", than Cathe..as you already know.

While all cases are different...I can tell you that spinal stenosis hasn't stopped me at all..and I hope the very best for you as well!

Thank you, Jerry! It is just so nice to hear that you have gotten relief from non-surgical methods as well! YAY! The only time SS stops me is when I'm standing in line or standing around-my foot goes to numb and my leg gets stiff. It's very annoying!! However, when I'm flying around my step- taking orders from Cathe - it doesn't bug me at all :)

The doctor had me all worked up yesterday-I pretty much thought my spine was going to collapse at any moment. LOL!

Thank you for the encouragement!!

Lisa

Thank you, Jerry! It is just so nice to hear that you have gotten relief from non-surgical methods as well! YAY! The only time SS stops me is when I'm standing in line or standing around-my foot goes to numb and my leg gets stiff. It's very annoying!! However, when I'm flying around my step- taking orders from Cathe - it doesn't bug me at all :)

The doctor had me all worked up yesterday-I pretty much thought my spine was going to collapse at any moment. LOL!

Thank you for the encouragement!!

Lisa

We had the same reaction, Lisa....when I was diagnosed, I had myself in a wheelchair for life. I just did Muscle Max this morning, and I was hoisting some pretty decent weight and feel real good...sore in all the right places!!!

HI Lisa, I herniated my L4 & L5 over 10 years ago. I had sciatica and major foot drop. I walked step... plop... step... plop and had pain running down from my hip to past my knee.
Had MRI and was sent to an Orthopedic Surgeon. One of the older surgeons told me that back surgery had a 50/50 outcome. 50% of the time it worked and 50% of the time it didn't. This was when my DS was two and he's now 12 so back surgery outcomes may have changed.
I opted not to do surgery. I saw a Chiropractor (one that I researched) and did modified Firm workouts at home with dumbells and a step. I had to stop running of coarse and never started running until a full year of healing had taken place.
Right now I have some shoulder issues and I need to get more info on that. (I'm the post on shoulder... long).
Good Luck. I hope it all works out for you.
Colleen

discs

Hi,

I herniated L4 /L5 and herniated and exuded L5/ S1 a little over 2 years ago. I freaked out when the dr suggested steriod epidurals, which I refused, although they are a common non-invasive treatment. I had the same foot drop, tingling, and a calf muscle that wouldn't work at all. I was in serious pain and discomfort. I stood at work for over 2 months because sitting was so painful. I rehabed my back myself. I'm pain free now and I can do pretty much whatever I want. I'd definitely get another opinion.

Tracy

Hi,

I have stenosis in my neck along with arthritis and a bulging disc in the neck. Back in November 208 had a lot of pain, stiffness in the neck and some tingling down my left shoulder and arm. No surgery was recommended, probably because I did not see any type of surgeon for this condition. I had 10 PT sessions, about 10 acupuncture/massage combined sessions. I highly recommend the acupuncture if you can afford it, at least try it once and see. I continued to exercise as best as I could. I am just now able to turn my head without pain. So good luck to you and I agree that a second opinon would be a good thing to do.

Cindy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.