South beach vs. bfl vs. body rx

wendyjpa

Cathlete
Does anyone successfully follow any of these plans?
I'm not overweight--5'2" and about 110 lbs. But i have a thin layer of flab on my belly and would like my arm definition to "emerge".
I've been working out for years and my arms are muscular, but need to be freed of the fat layer hiding them.

thinking of trying a diet plan, since i can't be left to my own discretion (leftover pizza is a great breakfast on my plan).

Any input or success stories?? Not for big weight loss, but for shedding the bf %.
thanks in advance.

I just got BfL and it sounds good. You and I are in the same boat. I'm 5'3 and 110 lbs and I have a think layer of flab on my lower belly and the rest of it is on my butt! My a@# is the flabbiest thing on me. I can feel muscle under the fat but no matter what I can't seem to shed it! I am going to try BfL though - especially the aerobics first thing in the morning - I've heard that is the key. Keep in touch because you and I are the same:)

Sorry I didn't really answer your question but I had to jump in because you sound soo much like me!:)

Hi Lynn!
Well, i have the bfl book and body rx book,and liked the way the bfl plan is set up a little better. I started this morning. I think i'll try it for a couple weeks, with a few minor tweeks, such as not relying heavily on protein drinks.
Started this morning with a breakfast from the book. Have to go to work now,hope nobody wants to order out!! I always manage to give in when everyone is ordering out.

Let me know how you are doing too, we do sound alike!

I've been following BFL for about 2 years now. I find it to be a pretty good and relatively easy program to follow. Not to say I haven't let a few of life's troubles get in my way but for the most part, I've done really well. I find it isn't too encumbersome as far as diet/menus, etc. and workouts are fun for me also. I did the first 12 weeks pure BFL. I did miss my videos so I've know switched to 4 weeks BFL, 4 weeks S&H and 4 weeks Pyramids.

Colleen

I am in a similar situation in that I don't need to lose much wieght, but I would like some definition and have always had trouble shedding the fat layer. I asked a very similar question to yours on this forum a few months ago and many people suggested south beach. I, of course, waited until after the holidays to try it!!! Unfortunately, my diet and exercise routine both suffered dramatically over the holidays b/c I had family in town and lots and lots of partying was done!! I started south beach last monday in an effort to get rid of the excess pounds and horrible sugar cravings that I implanted over the holidays. Good news so far=back to pre-holiday wieght and sugar cravings are gone. Bad news=zero energy and haven't been able to get through a single workout, not to mention that my stomach has been upset for 5 days now. I can't even do the 30-minute program on the treadmill, much less a Cathe workout and I've never struggled through that before in my life!!! I don't feel very healthy during this first phase so I may go ahead and skip to phase 2 a little early. I HATE not being able to work out!!! But anyways, just thought I would tell you a little about my south beach experience and I'm hoping that it gets much better in phase 2.
Good Luck with whatever you choose!!

I'm like you. There's always that layer of fat on my tummy and my upper arms that hides the muscle. However, I'm thinking that if I work on the muscle more consistently it may make a difference. As for the eating plan, since you're already at an ideal weight, you should be looking to make your diet healthier and cleaner without weight loss. Feed those muscles the lean protein, veggies and fruits they need to grow on. Don't cut back on food, but instead fuel your body with the food it needs to thrive. Lose all the simple carbs made of white sugar and white flour, and replace them with whole grain foods and complex carbs. At least, that's my plan.

If you must have a diet, IMHO, the South Beach is the most sensible one, but I would skip the first few weeks where you're not allowed to eat fruit and just jump right into the maintenance because you have no weight to lose.

Colleen:

when you say 4 weeks BFL, do you mean the weight training that Bill Phillips outlines in the book? Isn't it just like the Pyramids that Cathe does? or do you do something different for that first 4 weeks?

Thanks for the input everyone. I did a modified bfl type diet today, and have to tell you, it feels like i ate too much. I did the pyramid type workout he outlines in the book and don't feel the burn like i do after cathe's pub (probably because of the endurance focus). Anyway, i'll see if i have any doms tomorrow. If not, i think i'll go to my p90x strength workouts and I think i'll take your advice Nancy and clean up my diet as much as i can. I may pick up the South beach diet book tomorrow to use sort of like a guideline.

Wendy--just to save you a few bucks.......after I bought the south beach book I was disappointed b/c I spent like $18-$19 on it and it was mostly recipes!! Diane Sue posted a link on here awhile back to a lady's site who has all of the components of each phase of south beach listed, including foods that are and aren't allowed in each phase along with recipes. If you check out her site, you really don't need to buy the book unless you just want to. Here's the link:

http://www.mizfrogspad.com/

hope this helps and thanks again, Diane Sue, if you see this!!!

>Colleen:
>
>when you say 4 weeks BFL, do you mean the weight training that
>Bill Phillips outlines in the book? Isn't it just like the
>Pyramids that Cathe does? or do you do something different
>for that first 4 weeks?

Oops...often my communication skills aren't the best :)

Yes I meant I do 4 weeks of BFL lifting per the book. It is similar to the pyramids but not quite. Basically for each body part, you pick 2 execises. Let's take biceps:
I do:
Bicep curls
1 set of 12, wait one minute
increase weight
1 set of 10, wait one minute
increase weight
1 set of 8, wait one minute
increase weight
1 set of 6, wait one minute
go to original weight
1 set of 12 DO NOT WAIT
Go directly to next exercise, Hammer curls and do 1 set of 12.

Rest 2 minutes and do the next body part. Did I epxlain that ok? It gets confusing.

Colleen

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.