Sookie Stackhouse - Worth Reading??

carres1973

Cathlete
I just finished watching the first two seasons of True Blood and was thinking of reading the Sookie Stackhouse books the series is based on. I think I may have messed up not only reading the books but also watching the next season of True Blood. I was reading the synopses for the future books and read the bit about Bill not being what he appears and a triangle between Bill/Eric/Sookie. I don't like either of those things! Do the books present it in an "OK" way where you are actually rooting for Eric?

I really should learn not to read ahead! However, I got into the habit while reading books by John Saul. He has a terrible habit of killing off main characters. I don't want to invest the emotional energy in a character if my emotions aren't going to be "rewarded!"

Carrie

I've read all of the books but have only seen half of the second season (it's just now showing where I live).

As the (book) series progresses, Eric's character, as well as his relationship with Sookie, is definitely fleshed out and explored.

Having read the books first, though the TV show has the characters and some of the same or similar twists and turns, there are certainly many decided differences. So much so that, though I enjoy them both, I don't consider them the same.

If something happens in the book, it certainly hasn't meant that it happens in the show.

Absolutely worth reading! Charlaine Harris is nothing but fun, fun fun.

I actually think she's a terrible writer, technically speaking (not that it's hard to read the books - I just mean that this isn't exactly great literature) - and whoever her editor is could certainly be a lot better - but she is a really enchanting storyteller, if that makes any sense.

Sookie is a much better character in the books than in the TV show, and not only will you learn to love Eric, you will have several other Sookie suitors to choose from!

I haven't seen the TV show, and I attempted to read the books. Gave up about 3/4 of the way thru the 1st one. Wasn't even interested in how it turned out.

She lost me on page 1 when the vampires name was Bill. Bill???? The vampire???? WTH? I kept going though, can't judge a book by its cover (which was awful btw) or a character by his name. It was all over the place scrambly, not coherent, and not interesting. I was also tired pretty quickly of Sookie's whining. Everynow and then she had a glimmer of intelligence but she mostly came off as a ding bat. I really tried to be interested in what was going to happen in the end, but I really didn't give a hoot. Took it back to the library unfinished.

I really wanted to like this series, I love me a good vampire read. But I didn't. Maybe too high of an expectation going in? If you're looking for a good vampire series, check out The Black Dagger Brotherhood series by JR Ward (new one next week - squee!!!!!), The Midnight Breed series by Laura Adrian, or The Love at Stake series by Kerryln Sparks (more romance, more silly, less series, but entertaining). The Dark Hunter books by Sherrilyn Kenyon are also good, but less vampire, more supernatural. Series started out good, had a bit of dip, picked up with Acheron, and then has been steady since. I believe there is a new one out this fall, as well.

If you are looking for more paranormal mystery than vampires w/ mystery and romance bent, check out the Nocturne City novels by Caitlin Kittredge. I read the 1st one last week, and in the middle of the 2nd one now. Will be picking up 3 and 4 at the library today. I normally am not a mystery fan, but I like this one. It is a witch/vampire/demon/police book, not a vamp to be seen so far. The writing isn't Pulitzer prize wining or anything, but it is entertaining. Worth the read.

JR Ward is my current fave (check out Covet, too, 1st book of her new series) but she is a little rougher around the edges than the other. More violent, rougher language, and at times a little unconventional in the romance/bedroom department. Doesn't bother me, but I think it would bother some.

So, yeah, I wouldn't read the Sookie books.
Short question, long answer, huh?

Nan

Carrie - I actually like the books a LOT more than the series. You really have to look at them as two completely separate things because they changed so much in the series. A few characters have the same names and there area few similar plot lines, but that's about it. Honestly, I HATE Bill and that's because I read the books first. So, I had a hard time warming up to him at all in the series. I just ended up coming to the realization that it's two separate stories based on the same character. It at least keeps the series interesting because you never really know what is going to happen since they changed so much. I really do like the books though for a non-serious fluffy read. ;) And I {HEART} Eric!

I haven't seen the show,but I am currently reading the books for the second time :) I read them a while ago, before True Blood, and loved them. They have a set of 8 books on Amazon for about $40, which is a great deal. They're really quick, easy reads and I find myself staying up past my bedtime to keep going.

I LOVE the books!! As many other posters said, the HBO series and the book series are so different. Sometimes I got confused about whether I read something or saw it on the show. Season 1 follows book 1 pretty closely but after that, they go in pretty different directions. I agree with it not being great literature, but it is a guilty pleasure and so much FUN!! I'm already on the library's waiting list for the newest book that comes out next month :D

Thanks all for the responses. I guess I will get the first couple out of the library and see how it goes.

For some reason, I am getting a lot of vampire fiction recommended. Maybe that is based on past reading history? I finished up the "Undead/Betsy the Vampire Queen" series. LOTS of fun. I am also on the last book of the werewolf series by the same author (MaryJanice Davidson). I also read the Vegas Vampire series by Erin McCarthy.

Nan - the ones you mentioned are now on my list.

Thanks again all!

Carrie

Absolutely worth reading! Charlaine Harris is nothing but fun, fun fun.

I actually think she's a terrible writer, technically speaking (not that it's hard to read the books - I just mean that this isn't exactly great literature) - and whoever her editor is could certainly be a lot better - but she is a really enchanting storyteller, if that makes any sense.

Sookie is a much better character in the books than in the TV show, and not only will you learn to love Eric, you will have several other Sookie suitors to choose from!

Totally agree 100% with everything Afreet has said. It is an easy fun read. Get it at the library for sure.

Discovered and started reading Charlaine Harris' books long before the True Blood series came out. We don't have cable/dish, so didn't even know there was a series until we stumbled across it while on vacay. I think both are great, but the show certainly doesn't follow the books per se. My husband loves the series, but won't pick up a book. I'm able to give him a general idea what to expect from the characters, but I don't give him any spoilers because I never know whether the show will really follow the books or not.

If you like Charlaine Harris as an author, she also has another series out you might enjoy about a girl, Harper Connelly, who's been hit by lightning. Her lightning strike has given her the strange ability to locate dead bodies and to "see" their final moments. Here's a link to the first book: http://www.amazon.com/Grave-Sight-H...=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1271784134&sr=8-6

She also has a couple of other murder mystery series featuring Aurora Teagarden and Lily Bard.

Turns out the newest book instalment to True Blood series will be out in May. Looks like everyone on team Eric might be in for a surprise. He's on the cover with Sookie.

I agree with everyone else - I think the books are definitely worth reading. I read the first two back when they first came out and loved them and then I just forgot about them so I have a lot of catching up to do. I really enjoy the True Blood series too - it's one of the few occasions where I'm not watching a series/movie and complaining about what they have changed. They are both good in their own way.

I have 8 of the volumes (in French) sitting on my bookshelf waiting for me to have time to get to them. Maybe I'll start them this summer. (I can't stand bad writing, but maybe the translator did a better job than Harris did?)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.