So what does eating clean mean to you?

I just checked my Healthy Choice 7 grain bread and it has high fructose corn syrupx( That's not healthy!! This really makes me mad. Here I was thinking I'm eating a nutritious product only to find out it really isn't that healthy. Now I'm in search of a new wheat bread that doesn't have junk in it. I liked Healthy Choice because it was only 80 calories per slice. GRRRRRRR!

I pretty much stick to eating whole foods, lots of fruits and vegies, lean meats, brown rice, WW pasta etc. Just like Nancy, I do eat Kashi cereal/bars/crackers, Kashi frozen meals in a pinch and Orville's smart pop mini popcorn bags. Once in a awhile I'll enjoy pizza and cocktails so I'm not completely "clean" with my eating but I can live with this.

JJ

>I just checked my Healthy Choice 7 grain bread and it has
>high fructose corn syrupx( That's not healthy!! This really
>makes me mad. Here I was thinking I'm eating a nutritious
>product only to find out it really isn't that healthy. Now
>I'm in search of a new wheat bread that doesn't have junk in
>it. I liked Healthy Choice because it was only 80 calories
>per slice. GRRRRRRR!

There was a thread a while back about good whole grain breads that don't contain HFCS. (I love Food for Life sprouted grain bread and buns. No flour, just ground sprouted grains. And no additives, preservatives. It is very dense and chewy, which may not be to everyone's liking. I sometimes steam it (used to microwave, until I decided to go microwave free at home) to soften it a bit.

Thanks Kathryn! I'll search out that thread. I really enjoy reading your posts and it was your response in this thread that made me check my bread. I appreciate all the knowledge you share with us in regard to eating & exercising right. :)

JJ

"I'm not even sure what the true definition of clean eating is! "

I agree with that. So many people have their own personal definition of what it is. Some people think eating clean is eating anything "low fat" but if you read the ingredients on some low fat food, it's full of sodium, hfcs, msg, artificial sweetners, and partially hydrogenated oils. I was also going to point out that for those who read labels, don't just look at the label that says 0 grams of trans fat because any company is allowed to label it 0 grams if it has .5 grams or less per serving. Read the ingredient list also and make sure "partially hydrogenated oils" is not on the list. If it is, it's not truly trans fat free.

>I just checked my Healthy Choice 7 grain bread and it has
>high fructose corn syrupx( That's not healthy!! This really
>makes me mad. Here I was thinking I'm eating a nutritious
>product only to find out it really isn't that healthy. Now
>I'm in search of a new wheat bread that doesn't have junk in
>it. I liked Healthy Choice because it was only 80 calories
>per slice. GRRRRRRR!
>
>I pretty much stick to eating whole foods, lots of fruits and
>vegies, lean meats, brown rice, WW pasta etc. Just like
>Nancy, I do eat Kashi cereal/bars/crackers, Kashi frozen meals
>in a pinch and Orville's smart pop mini popcorn bags. Once in
>a awhile I'll enjoy pizza and cocktails so I'm not completely
>"clean" with my eating but I can live with this.
>
>JJ

JJ-
Sorry to hear about your disappointment. I think Healthy Choice just tries to go for low-fat, controlled calories. For most Americans, I suppose it's probably "healthier" than what they usually eat, but I agree that high fructose corn syrup is something to try to avoid.

I'm totally with you on the pizza and cocktails! I go out to eat at least once per week. Have you ever noticed how they ask for your drink order, bring you a basket of bread, and then let you sit there for half an hour? I'm only human, so I eat the bread and drink the wine. I don't ask if the bread is whole grain. I don't worry about the sugars in the wine. I don't make any special requests. I just go with the program. When I order, I generally avoid anything buttery or creamy, unless it's something irresistible, and if there's rice on my plate, I don't eat it if there's enough other good food. And when my DH wants to go out for pizza, I go with him, and I just make sure it's a really good pizza place, not some greasy spoon shlock.

Long story short: if there's something I REALLY want, I don't deny myself; but if I can take it or leave it, I usually leave it. I'll be 51 soon :eek:, and I keep watching the scale expecting it to shoot up, but so far so good. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it stays this way.

Nancy
(Sorry for the novel. The cold medications are causing me to ramble).

ETA: I should probably start a separate post on eating out, as I'm curious how others handle it.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.