So mad at Target!

pixiesis

Cathlete
Hi all. I'm in the midst of a bad experience with Target, and I'm so mad! But I want to hear some other opinions first before I complain. I know there were a lot of opinions on a similar thread about Wal-mart, so I'm hoping to hear your advice.

So, about a week ago, DH and I bought an $80 duvet set, along with several other items. Today I finally decided to use it, and realized it was nowhere to be found. After searching everywhere, I called the store. I had my receipt which showed that we did pay for it. The customer service rep, who had a rather unfriendly and unconcerned attitude, told me that we had in fact left it at the register, and that it had been "re-scanned" into their inventory and put back on the shelf. So I assumed that they must have credited our card since they were clearly not planning on making sure we got the item we paid for, but no! She said I'd have to come back to the store with my receipt to get a refund or to get the duvet set back, if they hadn't sold it already!!! Apparently they do this without even contacting the customer first. I made some comment, which she totally ignored, about how it was my duvet set and how they needed to make sure they did not sell it since it belongs to me and not to their store. She was completely blase and said she'd call the bedding dept. and see if they still had any left (the set was on sale and at the time there were only 2 in the right size). I asked her to hold it if they were able to find it, but who knows if they will?

I was also worried that we had left other items, since weirdly enough the printing was screwed up on the receipt so I couldn't read all of the items on it, so I asked her if she could find out if we had left anything else. She listed all of the other items that had been re-scanned that day. So apparently this is a normal thing for them to do! I am just shocked! I can't see how this is even legal! It's not like I left it in the cart-it never made it to the cart! I wonder how often customers pay for something, forget it at the store (or, as in our case, the cashier forgets to put it in the cart), and never realize it, allowing the store to sell an item twice! And if this is a common occurrence, I sort of suspect that they may be instructing cashiers to "forget" to give customers expensive items so that they have a chance at selling them twice.

I am beyond p*ssed and do not feel capable of rational thought. x( x( x( So please tell me what you think! Sorry this is so long!

Amy

Amy,

I understand that you are upset and I would expect a customer service rep to be a little more concerned and friendly, however, it seems good customer service and being polite is not in fashion anymore.

As to the duvet set, I don't think any retailer has any way of finding out who bought it and they sure don't have a way to contact you. First, they may have sold several of those sets the same day, so how would they know who left it? Second, even if they did, they only have a credit card number, your credit card company will not give out your personal information, phone number, address, etc.

I know this is frustrating to have to go back with your receipt but they cannot credit it back to your credit card over the phone, they will need some kind of proof that you are actually the one who bought it. Otherwise, anyone could just call, claim to have left something and ask for it to be credited back.

You said you didn't realize it for a week, they probably kept it for a couple of days and figured that after a week of noone claiming it and not knowing who bought it, they put it back in their inventory.

I don't know about the cashier deliberately "forgetting" expensive items, and Target instructing them to do so. That would require to assume that none of the employees at Target have a conscience and would go along with this without reporting it to the appropriate authorities or media.

In any case, I do think the customer service rep could have been/should have been more polite and worded it diferently, but don't you think you bear a little bit of responsibility to check that you have everything that you intended to buy and actually paid for? I know you are ticked off right now, but honestly, how long do you think they should have kept it for you?

I would go back with the receipt, talk to a manager and tell them that you realize that you bear some responsibility by not verifying right away that the cashier had packed everything you paid for. But that, as a customer, you expect to be treated in a more polite and respectful manner by the customer service rep.

Take a deep breath! I know it is aggrevating to deal with people who don't seem to be liking their job and wouldn't know customer service if it slapped them right in the face, but in the big picture it is not worth loosing any sleep over it. Do a Cathe kickboxing workout and think about the customer service rep while you are punching}(

Have a good weekend!

Carola

Thanks for the reply Carola. You are right that they may not have known whose duvet set it was, and most likely had no way to contact me. I hadn't considered that. But I still think it is downright wrong for a store to re-sell items that have already been paid for. I just can't see how this any different from them stealing from their customers. You are right that a week is a long time, and maybe they did wait awhile to re-shelve it. But I don't think it's ever right for them to re-shelve items that customers have bought. Even if no one ever claims items paid for but left behind, that doesn't mean they belong to the store to sell again. They wouldn't try to sell other items forgotten at the store that weren't purchased there. To me, there is no difference from items I purchase at the store and items I owned before entering the store. They all belong to ME! :p In my mind, the duvet set simply isn't theirs to sell, even if it once was. That's the part that has me shocked and angry.

Anyway, I will take your advice to cool down. Cathe will help me with that in the morning! In any case, I'm glad that I'll at least get my money back!

Amy

It is indeed true that good customer service has become passe. Had the customer service rep you spoke with bothered to polite, concerned, and helpful you would have probably not given the matter a second thought. Instead of explaining why what you were asking was not possible she opted to give you a case of the *ss. I would definitely follow up by talking to the store manager and i hate to say it, but don't be surprised if she/he is an idiot too.

Just a little info. The credit card reciept usually has the clients name on it.My terminal does.
They have to refund you or you file a charge back and threaten to turn them into the BBB. They will jump.

I left a comforter set a few weeks ago at Burlington and they had my name and # on it waiting behind the desk. I realized it when i got home, but they know. Don't let then BS you.
Tell them to get one at another target if they are out.
They are everywhere.

Anne
Aka( Storm)

http://www.picturetrail.com/acatalina

I just had a similar experience at BJs.

The cashier had started putting items into another empty cart while we unloaded our stuff. At the bottom of ours was a case of water, so rather than unload that, the cashier scanned it and put the items from the first cart into the one we still had. While she was transferring the items, she forgot to put in my husband's razor blades for $25.99!

Once we got home and realized it, I immediately called the store, explained the story and was told that since the cashier hadn't turned them in to customer service, there was nothing they could do. I realize they don't know if you're being honest or not, and I'm sure a lot of people try getting away with being dishonest, but it wasn't a mistake made on our part, but by one of their employees!

I was really ticked, too, but will learn to be more watchful in the future!

I don't particularly care for the people that work at Target, or Walmart or at many stores... Curteous customer service is virtually non-existent is seems..:-( So I can relate.

I can't believe they *ever* put the item back out for re-sale. It's just wrong. I would complain about that, and the customer service. Actually, I'm encouraging that, but I never complain myself. I was at my local grocery store a couple weeks ago and bought a pork tenderloin, got home to unload groceries, and saw it wasn't there. It was, however, on my receipt as paid for! So I called the store, and the lady wasn't interested at all, and just said, "oh, they've probably put that back out to sell already, just come in and get another one." Back out to sell? It's already been sold!!
Brandi

I don't get this either. I know I've left stuff at my grocery store & called the next day only to learn they'd set it aside for me. I don't know if they keep it behind their CS desk for a limited amount of time (I'm thinking 48 hours or so), but I know they kept it.

If it makes you feel any better, the first lamps I ever bought (I was about 19) were from Target, & they only charged me for one. I agonized about whether I should go back & never did. Your story has alleviated my guilt just a bit, thanks. }(

Thanks all for your replies. It's nice to know I'm not alone here! I will be much more careful in the future with this kind of thing. I guess Target doesn't have much incentive to make sure customers get what they buy, since they are benefitting from forgetful customers. I'm going to try to go there tonight to take care of this. I will definitely express my dismay. I know I'm a broken record here, but I think it's a very unethical policy, and I'm curious if it's even legal. I'm sure people leave things all the time and never come back. But still, that doesn't mean the store should be able to sell the same stuff twice! WTH???!!! }( }( }(

Amy

"Take a deep breath! I know it is aggrevating to deal with people who don't seem to be liking their job and wouldn't know customer service if it slapped them right in the face, but in the big picture it is not worth loosing any sleep over it. Do a Cathe kickboxing workout and think about the customer service rep while you are punching"

I think this is a wise and true comment. Too often we come across people who are stuck in terrible jobs they loathe and they take out their personal unhappiness on you/us, the customer/client. It is worse for them than for you/us, try to bear that in mind. Don't take it personally, they don't know you from Adam. They would have treated anyone badly that day, at that time. Maybe you just caught them in a particularly shitty mood. It does happen, right?

Go back, speak pleasantly to the manager and get your refund. Leave the store, put the whole sorry headache behind you, go grab a latte and a luxury magazine to leaf through at your local cafe/bookstore and buy a duvet set someplace else!

Clare

Hi Clare, thanks for your advice. I realize now that I emphasized my annoyance with the employee, but that is not the main cause of my anger. I'm always calm and pleasant with basically everyone (my problem is that I'm TOO nice!), and I've had my fair share of crappy jobs, so I know what it's like. That said, I don't think there's ever a good reason to cop a 'tude with an innocent customer, even if they are rude to me or just plain clueless. I was completely pleasant with the unpleasant woman. Even if what she told me is ridiculous, she's not the one making the rules and they don't pay her enough for me to dump my frustration on her. So I didn't.

My main problem is with their totally unethical policy of selling items that have been paid for but forgotten. As I said before, to me this is the same as stealing from customers. I realize that it came across as a bad cust. service rant, which I see now it sort of was, :p , but after calm reflection, I am most disturbed by their taking my stuff and trying to sell it again.

Amy

Something similar happend to me at Costco. We had purchased a CD, and somehow it had not made it into the cart. We were fortunate to notice it before we left the store, while we were loading the car. When I went back in to the store, they had already re-shelved it, not even 10 minutes later. They sent me back to get another one.

It didn't occur to me to be mad about it; I was just relieved to have realized the mistake in time, but I can see your point... they are trying to sell something that isn't theirs. This practice seems to be policy at many stores. You should ask the manager when you speak with them what the laws are regarding this kind of thing. I would be curious to know...

I have had similar stuff happen at WalMart -- I've even posted my rant on this site because I was soooo mad!

I feel for ya! There are stores out there that are much more helpful. You may not have a Fred Meyer in your area, but I will sing the praises of their customer service!

Charlene

I definitely understand your frustration, but let me give some insight from the store's perspective. I am a store human resource manager for a Home Depot. As stated in a previous post, it is very difficult to get a customer's name and phone number from a transaction. And, some stores have limited resources to do research.

Anyway, it may seem like an unethical policy to put a product back on the shelf that a customer already bought; at some point, the business must decide on how long they will keep a customers product aside. In my store, we just don't have the physical space to keep products aside for an indefinite period of time. We do get penalized, though, when it comes to the counting of inventory once a year. Let's say the inventory system shows we should have 10 of a particular item, when in fact we have 11 - that's a penalty. So, if it makes you feel better, a retailer, in the end, doesn't benefit from trying to sell a product twice.

As far as customer service, the customer should always be treated with utmost respect - without the customer then we don't have jobs. There are stores out there that try every day to emphasize customer service and my store is one of them. If you feel as though the service did not meet your expectations, then definitely tell a manager. And, if you do get great service, tell a manager that as well - positive reinforcement goes a long way.

Good luck.

Amy,

Sorry I'm jumping in here a little late, but I just wanted to say that I bought some stuff at Target before Christmas and noticed the next morning when I was looking for something that I didn't have it. And I had purchased it the previous afternoon. I called and they had already reshelved it. So they don't wait long! :)

Suz

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." - Anatole France

http://www.picturetrail.com/dogs2birds

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.