So glad I took a week off from working out!

upperwests

Cathlete
I haven't taken a week off from working out in about a year. The most I took off was maybe 3 days in a row and of course, I take a rest day about every 5 or 6 days. And the last vacation we took, I worked out at the hotel gym. Well, my week off was the best thing I could do. I felt I was getting a little "burnt out." I was beginning to dread my morning workouts!

My husband and I took a vacation to Montreal and Quebec and I have to say it was so great NOT putting on my sneakers first thing in the a.m. and working out. We did, however, walk for hours on end each day! When we returned from our trip, I did Low Max and loved every minute of it. I think I am going to purposely take a week off every few months. Instead of feeling guilty and awful like I used to, I see how it can rejuevinate my motivation and body.

I always take at least 1 rest day/week, sometimes 2 :+ I also take a week off every 3 months or so. It's good for the body to have some down time. And of course as you have found it's great for mental motivation as well. I am learning to respect my body's need for rest. If I don't feel well, I do not workout. I am glad you have discovered the beauty of resting :D

[font color= purple size=+3]Catherine[/font]

http://www.rykat.org/forums/style_emoticons/default/arrowhead.png

http://www.picturetrail.com/fit_fairy

http://69.89.25.157/~extremf4/forums/images/smilies/chinup.gif

I just recently took a week off also. Usually I workout 6 days a week and have one rest day. But I was just getting tired of all my workouts and finding it harder and harder to push myself thru to finishing them. Eventually I just caved and took a full week off. It felt great--no guilt--and when I started again I found I could get thru the workouts with no problem and was enjoying them again. I never really understood before how beneficial a rest week could be.

I used to feel guilty about not working out while on vacation for 2 weeks, now I look forward to the down time. It really re-charges the batteries, and it gives me something to look forward to when I return home.

Learning to listen to my body is something I never used to do, so glad that has changed!!

jerry

I took a week off after 3 months. I had read that is is good for the body so I did it. I still ate clean but I rested. I lost 2 more pounds after I started back into my rotations and am at goal weight now. So I say for me a week off every 3 months is good....GOOD

duck

Taking a week off every few months is refreshing to the body. It allows full recovery and gives you a fresh start when you start exercising again. Of course, since I am recovering from foot surgery right now, I will be cranking to go in about 3 months when I can start doing mild cardio again. I plan on doing modified weight work (seated or floor), but cardio will have to wait. I'm already looking forward to how great it will feel to start doing Cathe's step again!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.