So bummed

blkblt

Cathlete
I was planning and sooo much looking forward to start STS next Monday after we came back from a cruise. My plan was for doing the 6 1/2 month rotation. It was already downloaded in my workout manager calendar. However I just learned that I need surgery on my thyroid, probably end of May, early June, which would cut into my mesocycle #2. I will be totally unable to exercise for at least the 1st week, then take it very easy with first cardio then very light weight into the 2nd to 3rd week after surgery. I am just so bummed!!!
Christiane

Have you considered using your week of surgery as your rest week, instead of the week between Meso 1 & 2? You could then start up again after you get the OK from your surgeon, using very light weights.
Good luck with your surgery...it never seems to come at a good time. Hang in.

Hi Christiane!
I hope your surgery and recovery go smoothly. Don't worry so much about STS, because you can always start over. Your health is the most important thing. Do whatever exercise you feel is right for you, and just be sure to listen to your body. (I've done Meso 1 but have to restart the program in May due to travel plans that totally interfered with the schedule. Oh well!)

Best of luck!
Marcia

I was planning and sooo much looking forward to start STS next Monday after we came back from a cruise. My plan was for doing the 6 1/2 month rotation. It was already downloaded in my workout manager calendar. However I just learned that I need surgery on my thyroid, probably end of May, early June, which would cut into my mesocycle #2. I will be totally unable to exercise for at least the 1st week, then take it very easy with first cardio then very light weight into the 2nd to 3rd week after surgery. I am just so bummed!!!
Christiane

I really hate to tell you this...but you may need to take more than a week off.

I had a total Thyroidechtomy back in 1999. It took a lot out of me. I walked around for a week feeling like my neck wasn't attached to my head.

Cardio was a real killer. Lifting, well, that depends. Upper body was tough...and that was several weeks later...lower body piece of cake.

Cardio...I had to have my hubby go with me...and he almost had to get the car and all we were doing was walking...Of course it was my second week out...but I was so bored...and I couldn't go back to work for 6 weeks. Couldn't talk on the phone cus no one could hear me...ugh.

IF it were me...I'd do the 3 1/2 month rotation when you get back and schedule the 6 month for next winter.

I wasn't sure I'd want to do the 6 month rotation, but some friends and I decided that we are going to start the 6 month rotation in October, after the little ones go back to school.

We are currently doing the 3 month rotation and loving every minute of it.

Don't set yourself up for disappointment like I did.

Thank you all for the encouragement

Ladies,
Thank you so much for your encouragement. I decided to start STS anyway, I figure it can do no arm in the end. Because I like to do a workout twice (know what to expect and focus more on form and all...) I will still go for the double. Since I don't know when the surgery will be I'll go as far as I can and then...just start over that's all.
Celeste, I am going for a partial thyroidectomy unless the surgeon doesn't like what he sees once in, then he would take the whole thing out. This will be my 3rd surgery, so unfortunetely I know somehow what to expect in the first week. It seems that my surgeon is one of the best in Canada, so I'm hopeful he will do a great job. So far all the tests he's done have been less pain or discomfort than expected. I know people that went for the same tests and told me what to expect and all in all it was OK.
Again, ladies thank you for your support.
Christiane

This too shall pass, Christiane. You've gotten some good advice. Isn't it wonderful that we have our fitness in DVD form, where we can return to it when WE wish and need to?

Take care, and have an uneventful surgery and speedy recovery!

A-Jock

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.