SNM- One-Rep Max Tutorial?

fit_fairy

Cathlete
I know you must want to scream if you get one more 1-rep max ? Sorry :eek: Anyway, I seem to remember reading about a tutorial. Is this still in the works/plans? I know we have a while to go before STS is even ready, but I was just wondering if the tutorial was still a go.

thanks!!!!

1RM Calculator

I know you must want to scream if you get one more 1-rep max ? Sorry :eek: Anyway, I seem to remember reading about a tutorial. Is this still in the works/plans? I know we have a while to go before STS is even ready, but I was just wondering if the tutorial was still a go.

thanks!!!!

Yes, we're working on video tutorials, but they're not ready yet. In the meantime we have step by step "written" instructions that may help you. Just look for the
HelpIcon-Gray.jpg
. I've posted the 1RM instructions below for you.

1RM Calculator

To calculate your 1RM you will need to find the maximum weight you can lift for about 10 times (for best results you should be able to do your test weight at least 8 times but not more than 12 reps for each exercise).

Our new user friendly Workout Manager software makes it easy for you to enter and store your testing data and will automatically calculate your 1-rep max for any exercise you choose to do. It will even print a workout card with the all the exercises and weights you will need for every STS workout (more about this later). As your fitness level improves just change your information in the Workout manager.

It's easy. Let me show you how it works:

First, please go to our website at www.thecathenation.com and login. Then click on the 1RM link you see listed under the Workout Manager Icon. This will take you to our 1RM calculator.

Next, check the radio button for 'Show All STS Exercises' (you may also select the disc number to narrow you list) and then select the exercise you wish to test for from the dropdown menu you will see above. To perform a 1-rep max test simply select a weight that you think you can lift at least 8 times, but not more than 12 and enter the weight in the step #2 box.

After performing the 1-rep max test enter the number of reps you actually did with good and correct form - no cheating now - into the box in step #3 and then click the calculate button. Your one rep max for this exercise will be shown in the big orange box.

Finally, just click the 'save button' in step #4 and your 1-rep-max data will be saved so you can retrieve it and change it whenever you need to.

Now, complete these steps for every exercise as many exercises as you wish making sure to take at least a 5 minute break between exercises. Once you have taken a 1RM test for an exercise you may use the results for any workout you do even if it is not an STS workout. You can also easily tell any exercise where you have completed a 1RM test as it will be shown in a red font and will be listed in the 1RM tab in the Workout Manager.

If you already know your 1RM for an exercise or you know the maximum weight you can do for 10 reps, then you may enter this information directly into our 1RM calculator. It will probably take you several weeks to test for every exercise in STS, but testing now will save you time later and will help you maximize the results with the STS program. Though you don�t necessarily have to do a 1RM test to do the STS program, we strongly recommend you take as many 1RM tests for as many exercises as possible.

You are now ready to start your STS program and your 1-rep-max test, along with our Workout Manager, will make it easy for you to always know the correct weight to use for every exercise.

Thank you very much, Cathe.

BUT.....my concern is not knowing all the exercises. :( I'm hoping the tutorial will have links/descriptions of them. I guess I could get busy looking some of them up!

Honestly, I didn't look at all the blog pictures until yetsterday, and I'm excited about the variety of different types of lunges, etc. I see. :)

Thanks, Cathe!

Another question/suggestion about the tutorial

Hi! I'm glad to see the info about the tutorial, that will help tremendously.

I'm wondering if, for those of us who aren't familiar with all the names of the exercises, you could reference where we've done them before? For example: after a given exercise, you could put parenthesis and note (As performed in Pure Strength, Back, Biceps and Abs.) That would SO help me in figuring this all out. (I think we're feeling overwhelmed - I can't imagine how you all are feeling there at SNM!!!)

Also if you could (when you find time, probably after STS is shipped, Haha) have a breakdown somewhere, like the workout manager, of what the past weight workouts emphasis or workout % should be so that we can apply our 1RM to those workouts as well as STS? I'm wondering what percentages I should be doing for Pure Strength and Gym Styles, especially. (If you've addressed this already, I apologize. I'm trying to read up on everything here, but as you mentioned, there's alot on the new website to be read!!)

Thanks for your continued help, and keep up the great work!! :)

"It will probably take you several weeks to test for every exercise in STS, but testing now will save you time later and will help you maximize the results with the STS program"(SNM)

Serveral weeks? YIKES

Last edited by a moderator:

BUT.....my concern is not knowing all the exercises. :( I'm hoping the tutorial will have links/descriptions of them. I guess I could get busy looking some of them up!

Honestly, I didn't look at all the blog pictures until yetsterday, and I'm excited about the variety of different types of lunges, etc. I see. :)

Thanks, Cathe!

I second that, not knowing all of the exercises. It would definitely help to have a tutorial or some kind of description on how its performed.

I think I'm testing wrong Help

Just started testing my 1RM and for the alternating seated overhead shoulder press I was able to do 14 reps using 15# dumbbells so I waited for 30 minutes and tried the same exercise but with 20# dumbbells and I could only do 4 reps before failure.

My question:
So should I use the 15 # dumbells and put in the 14 reps in the calculator or the 20 # dumbells?

I was surprised when I logged in the 15 # at 14 reps it gave me 23# as my 1RM - I'm thinking thats wrong as it looks too heavy for that exercise.

I also got a too heavy 1RM for barbell curls.
I lifted 25 # barbell for 21 reps and it gave me a 1RM of 56# . I'm thinking I must be doing something wrong.

ETA I used the youtube clips for both exercises and went with Cathe's pace for testing.

I'm not using momentum at all and before I continue testing myself I need to make sure I'm doing this right.

Help please :confused: I'm so confused as to what I should be doing how heavy and for how long I swear I must be dense :(

Last edited:
I started doing my 1 rep max testing today but wasn't sure what to do about barbell curl "21s". I chose a weight I normally do for 21s and felt like I honestly couldn't do any more, so that's the weight I plugged into the 1RM calculator. It came back and told me my 1 rep max is 79 pounds and 60% of that is 47 pounds. I really don't think I can lift that high. I've tried 40 pounds and I can't complete the set with good form so how can I do it with 47? Are 21s "skewed" as far as the calculator goes? Or should I have recorded 21 reps as 7 reps counting 1 "rep" as the lower half, upper half and the full curl?

Thanks, Cathe!

We have a section called "more details about this exercise" that is located just above the dropdown list where you select your exercises. Eventually, this section will have a short video clip demonstrating how to perform the exercise.

We have a section called "more details about this exercise" that is located just above the dropdown list where you select your exercises. Eventually, this section will have a short video clip demonstrating how to perform the exercise.

I sure would like those tutorial videos at my fingertips, rather than having to search through the blog or look online somewhere for them. The tutorials will streamline the 1RM process, so, I'm probably going to wait to calculate my 1RM when those are up.

Thanks in advance for providing them to us!:rolleyes:

linda
:D

Last edited:
I was planning on just doing a 1RM for barbell curls - and then using that for 21s .... So if it says in Meso 1 use 60% of your 1RM max - I wiluse 60% of my 1RM for BB curls. Am I wrong in this thinking?

Just My question:
So should I use the 15 # dumbells and put in the 14 reps in the calculator or the 20 # dumbells?

I was surprised when I logged in the 15 # at 14 reps it gave me 23# as my 1RM - I'm thinking thats wrong as it looks too heavy for that exercise.

I lifted 25 # barbell for 21 reps and it gave me a 1RM of 56# . I'm thinking I must be doing something wrong.

Help please :confused: I'm so confused as to what I should be doing how heavy and for how long I swear I must be dense :(

This is all confusing to me as well:( which is why I haven't started doing my 1RM yet. If we are supposed to enter our 1RM why would the calculator compute a number higher than our 1RM? Shouldn't the #'s we enter be our max and the %'s (ie. 60 for meso 1) be based on that?

Also, there was a question about how to enter weight loads for 2 DB's vs a single DB exercise. For example, if you are doing alternating shoulder presses with 25lbs DB's, do you enter 50lbs or 25lbs? Obviously there is no confusion with single DB or BB exercises.

TIA!

JJ

This is all confusing to me as well:( which is why I haven't started doing my 1RM yet. If we are supposed to enter our 1RM why would the calculator compute a number higher than our 1RM? Shouldn't the #'s we enter be our max and the %'s (ie. 60 for meso 1) be based on that?

No I don't think so, because that would be your TEN rep max. If I understand the premise of the 1RM correctly, it it the maximum amount of weight you can lift for ONLY 1 repetition. But lifting THAT max could be dangerous (which is why none of the mesocycles has us lifting 100% of our 1RM). So you go for lower #s that you can do to exhaustion, and when you plug in that #, the program computes what your actual 1RM would be (as opposed to the 10RM would just did). Then, when you use percentages of that maximum number, that's where you'll see the different rep patterns and therefore different results. At least I think that's it. Hey Chris - we need help.

Just started testing my 1RM and for the alternating seated overhead shoulder press I was able to do 14 reps using 15# dumbbells so I waited for 30 minutes and tried the same exercise but with 20# dumbbells and I could only do 4 reps before failure.

My question:

ETA I used the youtube clips for both exercises and went with Cathe's pace for testing.

I'm not using momentum at all and before I continue testing myself I need to make sure I'm doing this right.

These numbers don't sound too far off to me just off the top of my head. If you can do 4 reps with 20#, then it sounds about right that you would be able to about 1 rep with 23#.

But as was mentioned above, according to the calculator, if you're doing less than 6 reps or more than 10 reps with the weight you've chosen, then you need to adjust your weight and try again. In your case, you would need a platemate or something to raise the weight just a couple of pounds, since 15 is too light and 20 is too heavy.

I am also wondering about the answer to the 1 dumbbell/2 dumbbell weight question. In a way, does it matter whether you enter the weight for one dumbbell or both? For example, if I put in 15 (for one) instead of 30 (for two) it should still calculate the percentages correctly, I think. As long as I am consistent in what I choose (If I put in one dumbbell, then I should remember that it will calculate the weight for one dumbbell), I think it will still work. But what is the "official" way to do it? Does this make sense? (I think I've confused myself!)

No I don't think so, because that would be your TEN rep max. If I understand the premise of the 1RM correctly, it it the maximum amount of weight you can lift for ONLY 1 repetition. But lifting THAT max could be dangerous (which is why none of the mesocycles has us lifting 100% of our 1RM). So you go for lower #s that you can do to exhaustion, and when you plug in that #, the program computes what your actual 1RM would be (as opposed to the 10RM would just did). Then, when you use percentages of that maximum number, that's where you'll see the different rep patterns and therefore different results. At least I think that's it. Hey Chris - we need help.

:confused::confused::confused: LOL!!

Lorrie~I see what you mean. So based on our 10RM, the calculator converts those numbers to a 1RM and our % are based on that number? I guess I'm confused after reading Sue's (shakeubooty) post about the BB curls. It seems that the calculation to her 1RM is too high as she stated she didn't think she could complete the curls even at the 60%. Maybe it is a problem with the rep count of the 21's?

JJ

These numbers don't sound too far off to me just off the top of my head. If you can do 4 reps with 20#, then it sounds about right that you would be able to about 1 rep with 23#.

But as was mentioned above, according to the calculator, if you're doing less than 6 reps or more than 10 reps with the weight you've chosen, then you need to adjust your weight and try again. In your case, you would need a platemate or something to raise the weight just a couple of pounds, since 15 is too light and 20 is too heavy.

I am also wondering about the answer to the 1 dumbbell/2 dumbbell weight question. In a way, does it matter whether you enter the weight for one dumbbell or both? For example, if I put in 15 (for one) instead of 30 (for two) it should still calculate the percentages correctly, I think. As long as I am consistent in what I choose (If I put in one dumbbell, then I should remember that it will calculate the weight for one dumbbell), I think it will still work. But what is the "official" way to do it? Does this make sense? (I think I've confused myself!)

Well that makes sense to me thanks -- I redid the alternating seated overhead shoulder press using 20# dumbbells yet again and I was able to lift to 7 this time around but my left shoulder which is also the one I need to be careful with wouldn't let me go beyond the 6th mark by the 7th rep my right shoulder could keep going but my left shoulder had had enough.

I guess I need to look at getting myself some platemates :confused: eventually

And retest starting with higher weights.

JJ - I think you may be right because it's only the calculation for the 21s which seemed out of whack. The shoulder presses and other exercises seemed right on.

Sue

Exercise demos/tutorials website

:DHi Catherine:
I posted this in the Workout Suggestions forum(just cross-referencing here to get some info out).

http://www.hyperstrike.com/my_lab.as...htype=dropdown

Hi SNM and others:
Someone in another thread referenced this above website(click on link above) to demonstrate Turkish get-ups. It also has some really nice videos of many other exercises that could be useful in performing the 1RMs.
:rolleyes::D

Hope this is helpful to everyone.

Have fun!

linda:D

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.