Slowing down

cher54

Cathlete
I have been working out with Cathe since 1999, almost exclusively. I have noticed in the last year I can no longer do high impact or use the amount of weight I used comfortably. I turn 64 in January, and I'm wondering if it's natural process
of aging or something else. Has anybody else noticed a definitive shift at a certain age?

I just turned 56 and have definitely noticed a shift in my cardio and weight lifting. Some days I can do high impact, then other days a low impact feels hard. I need longer recovery days and weights have lightened up as well. I would say that for the most part my Cathe workouts seem just a bit harder than they used to, but I really feel that it’s just part of aging. I keep plugging along
Sherry

I'm 63. Two years ago I went grain & sugar-free. Prior to that I definitely had a decrease in energy and of course fitness. After eliminating grains and sugars (lower carb lifestyle), my energy & motivation have returned and my fitness level has improved because of this. I cannot recommend it highly enough ... you want to look forward to retirement age, but not retire from being active. Lowering carbs also reduces inflammation- helping with those niggling aches & pains. Give it at least two months before giving up on the lifestyle as it takes time for the body to adjust to the change in fuel.

I'm 60 and definitely notice the difference as time goes by. I no longer do high impact at all- I use a trampoline for those sections of any high impact movement. After one of Cathe's hour long step workouts, I feel more tired, not that I cannot complete it, but definitely there is a difference when I did hour long workouts 15 years ago. With the weight work, I have found that to be more important now at 60 years old than ever. My goal is to be able to walk, workout, ride my bike and be as independent without having to use walkers, cane and I believe weight training will help keep those muscles from disappearing is very important. So I just go with the flow, never try to do more than I should or do it gradually and just keep working out. Sometimes I wonder what my workouts will consist of when I'm 80 years old!! :)

I have been wondering this also. I am 52 and already feel like workouts are harder than they used to be on some days and everything hurts. When I first step out of bed in the morning my whole body is sore. It feels better after working out and stretching. I have gotten very slack with diet so I have to get back to that ASAP! I'm hoping that helps!

Thank you all for your great replies. BlaKKat, I am right there with you on everything you said. It was weird becauseeverything kind of happenedf suddenly after I had a minor back surgery. I guess the moral of the story is to listen to our bodies, do as much as we can, but honor them above all!

Well I thought it was just me. I started noticing about 2 years ago when I turned 57. I have a harder time recovering and doing intricate step work is a no-go. So I just plug along and do the best I can.

Oh I can relating to these posts.

I'm 52 and sometimes everything feels too hard which is a shock to my system and when my body aches it does so for days and days. I've spent my life as an avid exerciser and always pushed myself but now things have changed, seemingly overnight too. I've now been advised to quit the plyo hiit training due to mechanical back issues so now that I've discovered yoga, oh my, I feel rejuvenated after each session.

I'm 52 and I've definitely been changing the way I workout for the past year or two. I've noticed that after an intense cardio workout it takes longer to stop sweating and not be red-faced. I feel like I've used "getting older" as a reason to do more moderate workouts. I stopped hitting shoulders so hard because it's the number one thing that causes injuries for me, so I just take 'em light now. And am trying to do kickbox or barre once a week because it seems to keep areas like my hips stronger.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.