Slow & Heavy

princessbear

Cathlete
Okay, so after a week off fighting some sort of bronchial infection, months off before that healing from shoulder surgery, I'm going to pick up S&H Chest & Back this morning and get back in the game! My weights still aren't what they should be, but I saw great strength increases from this series when I first started Cathe and I NEED to get my butt in gear for STS!! I've been doing GS for the past couple of weeks, upping my weights slowly (but still only 50% of pre-surgery weights). I think paying close attention to form and the slow lifting technique will get me moving again. Just wanted to share...Have a fantastic day everyone - it's going to be a balmy 20 degrees here in Mass. today.

Okay, I am planning on getting this one after my CLX rotation is complete. Tell me about this workout. What size weights will I need? I am currently lifting up to 40lbs. for lower body and 30 for chest and back.

I've been doing S&H for my weight work this month. I agree with PrincessBear, these workouts really let you concentrate on your form and slowly increase the amount of weight that you are lifting. I get great DOMs from all 3 workouts in this series.

Firmgrrrl: S&H uses both dumb bells and the barbell. I started out with my regular weight amounts the first time around and then kicked them up a little once I became familiar with the routine. For each exercise, you do 3 sets of 8reps. Cathe gives you about a minute break between each set, so you have plenty of time to stretch and adjust your weight amounts in between each set. I also find it helpful to preview new dvds and write down the exercises and which weights/amounts I think that I will use, then adjust as needed.

Bottom line: love S&H!
~michelle

I just came here to ask about this DVD... great minds think alike!

If I like CLX will I like Slow & Heavy? Are there shorter premixes on the DVDs? Do you think it's worth buying this or getting one of the STS cycles?

Last edited:
I just came here to ask about this DVD... great minds think alike!

If I like CLX will I like Slow & Heavy? Are there shorter premixes on the DVDs? Do you think it's worth buying this or getting one of the STS cycles?

There's no premixes on this DVD, but it is chaptered well so you can skip around, and all the parts are on one DVD.

I don't think CLX is like S&H. The push phase of CLX comes closest but even that is a little different as Chalene alternates upper body and legs and Cathe doesn't.

Keep in mind, because you're going super slow in S&H you might not be able to lift as heavy as you would in Meso 3 or a similiar workout. It's deceptive, and results come from strict form, so lots of concentration is involved. It's not a series I can do for more than a week or two.

I love, love, LOVE Slow & Heavy!!! Minimal equipment, easy to follow, not much to think about other than form. I saw great strength gains from this series. Also, Pure Strength. Those are tough, no nonsense, effective, and short. The only problem is that Cathe has poor form in a couple of places as she lifts a little heavier than maybe she should have. But, she also incorporates a couple of exercises she doesn't use in any other series, so I think it balances out.

I am 1/2 way through my current Supersets rotation...after a week rest when finished SS, I have S & H on the docket for a 3 week rotation, already looking forward to it!

Can I get some thoughts on slow and heavy versus this newer Chelean thing that is out? This is the only Cathe series that I don't own and I feel like I'm missing out. Chelean sorta freaks me out, . .with the hip swinging thing and her energy is a tad bit on the over done side. I'm not really that keen on her style of intruction and for the most part every time I try a new DVD workout I get sorely dissappointed when I compare it to Cathe. I did not like P90X and Jari Love is okay but not Cathe, . . so I'm not quite sure if I would like Chelean. Oh and I love the gym style series. Is this series similar only slower?

It's heavy weight training to a slow count. For example, 1 chest fly would be a count down for 2, and then a slow 6 counts to get those weights back up and in position again. (NOT cool with static lunges!)

Sometimes, because the counts are longer, you need to lighten up on the weight a bit.

I love this series because it's the one rotation where I feel a noticeable amount of fatigue throughout the day. Some might view that as a negative, but I like knowing I worked really hard. :) Plus the first time I ever did 3 weeks with S&H, I went back to Pyramids and found I could lift heavier.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.