Slow and Heavy plie squats

junemom

Cathlete
I know cathe's busy so maybe someone else can answer this one for me: in the S & H leg and shoulder routine, the plie squats are done with a 40 pound dumbell. I don't have one, and have been using my barbell loaded to 40, resting on the front of my shoulders, as usual for plie squats. Am I missing out on something by doing them without the dumbell? I expect I AM missing out on a bit of core stabilization...maybe a lot, but in terms of the legs, is there any advantage to using the heavy dumbell held down in front??

thanks!

Christine

I would like to know the answer to this question also since I don't have that whopper of a 40 pounder! :)

Someone out there?????? Pleease? ;-)

Blessings from Our Home to Yours, Runathon

I've tried it both ways, and feel that your posture is more upright with the dumbell. Of course, your arms get more tired also, but that's pretty trivial. So, I'm sure it is a tiny bit different, but mostly, the muscles are the same.

Hello, I don't have a 40 lb. dumbbell either so I've been using
two 20 lb. I hold one in each hand horizontally right next to each other. Seems to work pretty good. Maybe it'll work out for you, too! cathefANN

The thing is, it looks a little awkward to me. I prefer to do them with my barbell, but if I'm missing out on some key thing...I'll get one of those whopping dumbells!

Christine

I remember one poster here (I forget who) suggested buying one of those short dumbell bars, and then loading it with the correct amount of weight plates - in this case 40 pounds. That way you don't have to buy a whole 40 dumbell (or two 20s) just for one exercise.

Just a thought.

Susan G.

I would invest in the 40 lb dumbell. I have tried it with the short bar and have to stop several times because the plates slip in the vertical position, the collar just doesn't hold the plates that well....

The 40 lb dumbell is very uncomfortable for me. I use 2 20lb. dumbells resting on my shoulders. The 40lber really pulls on my back and arms in that forward position. I can concentrate better on my legs with the dumbells on my shoulders. I would try that instead of your barbell.

Janice

And why go out and buy one 40lb. dumbell just for that. There are not many other exercises in which you will use it. Maybe someday?? We all wish!! I purchased my dumbells as a huge set up to 50lbs or else I would have never gotten one.

I either use a barbell and place it on my back, or like Janice, I'll use two 20lb. dumbbells placed on my shoulders. Either way, I feel it.

I use the short dumbbell bar with 40 lbs worth of plates. I hold the dumbbell in the same position as Cathe but place my hands on the widest plate. Actually, now that I think about it, my total weight is a bit more than 40 lbs because of the bar and the screw caps. Works great for me.

Lorrie

I use the short bar (adjustable dumbbell) and it works fine, but then mine has the screw on type clamps so it doesn't slip when used vertically.
[font color=green]BETSY[/font]

I take a little different approach. I use a 15 pound weighted vest then use a 25 pound dumbell. I do this because I just don't have the 40 pound dumbell. I have also used the barbell.

I use 2 20 pound dumbbells. I place each dumbbell on the outer portion of my upper thigh as I do the plie squats. I know that this is where the FIRM instructors place their weights in some of the Firm tapes. I find this quite effective.

Lorrayne

RE: my suggestion

Hi Christine

What I did was buy a set of spin lock dumbells that you can load with whatever weight you choose, provided that you already have barbell plates, and I assume that you do.

I think some of the others are right when they ask what else you would ever use 40#'s for other than the S/H plie squats. With the spinlocks, you could even make 50#'s some day if you chose to or go lighter if you choose to.

Kim

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.