skin problems

runfree

Cathlete
how do you cope when you hate everything about your skin? enlarged pores,scares,acne,blotchy patches,brown patches. It really is depressing to me and makes me feel ugly. I just want to hide from the world some days. Makes me less confident. went to a dermatologist before,he put me on minocin,it took 6 weeks before I noticed a change in acne, but the brown spots from old acne marks are still there and the huge pored onmy cheek area right around the nose. I envy women who have smooth pretty skin. I cant even leave the house without foundation or I look nasty,yuck! also what is a good foundation for someone with these problems. It has to be for acne prone skin, something that stays on all day and dont run off or come off due to oilyness.

I've battled Grade 3 acne for about 20 years. I use:

1. http://www.seriousskincare.com/

Specifically the Glycolic Cleanser, Clearz-it, and the Continuously Clear Moisturizer.

2. http://www.clearcomplexions.com/index.html

Specifically the 10% Benzoyl Peroxide found on this page:

http://www.clearcomplexions.com/Acneskin.html

I understand exactly how you feel. Trust me when I tell you it's easier to treat the acne than it is to cover it up.

Acne products aren't perfect ~ meaning you'll have cycles where the skin dries a bit, or breaks out a little ~ but once you learn how to use the products, your skin will respond beautifully.

I've learned to control my skin to the point where people don't believe I have acne when I tell them. In fact, friends of ours recently asked my husband for some advice (he's a physician) regarding their friend's teenage son. When he pointed to me and said, "She's the expert," they were stunned. They had no idea I have to treat my face every single day.

Seriously. Check out the links. You can improve your skin. :)

Very good advice...one more thing. Go see a derm about a laser type treatment. They make lasers for every skin concern and you see results almost right away. I get IPL facials once a year. They remove brown spots, fine lines, broken capillaries and so on. Its totally worth the money, after all its your face.:)

I also recommend flax seed oil or any kind of EFA. That really makes my skin muuuuch muuuch better, and almost overnight.

I know exactly how you feel. I have battled acne my whole adult life. At 47, it's more or less under control. I've been using Proactive for about 10 years and that has helped a bit. I also started using a scrub and cleanser by DDF. It has worked very well and my skin is looking the best it has in a long time. My skin is still very oily though but that's a plus right now as I don't have too many wrinkles. :)

Anyway, just wanted to let you know that I have been there and know how you feel. Hang in there!!

skin

I really know how you feel. One thing that helped me was reading "The Skin Type Solution" by Leslie Baumann (www.skintypesolutions.com), and also reading lots of free info on the Paula's Choice web site (www.cosmeticscop.com). I have been using product recommendations from both of those and am definitely seeing improvement. I especially am getting results with the Paula's Choice BHA lotions.

One problem is every individual is unique when it comes to what works and what doesn't, and it can be really hard to find what works for you - not to mention the cost of trying different products really adds up. I can totally empathize.

HTH!

it could be your progesterone is off

Get your hormones tested. Teens have acne not because their faces are filthy but because their progesterone is not properly opposed by the other hormones in their bodies. It simple and painless. Just a cheek swab should do the trick. See your gyno for this.

The best switch for me was to stop using regular makeup and start using mineral makeup (I use Physician's Formula). I suffered from acne for many of my adult years and the only thing that helped was switching the makeup. Most of powder makeups and foundations contain talc (most often listed as one of the first ingredients) which is an organic compound that bacteria quite happily feeds on. Before I quit talc containing products I used to go into the blind cycle of acne and excess amount of makeup to cover it, which made it even worse. I have been acne free for about two years now and will always use mineral makeup. Good luck with whatever course of treatment you will take!

{{{{{Runfree}}}}}
Big hugs to you!

I can understand your frustration: many of our 'imperfections' are something we can disguise. Lumpy thighs, a poochy tummy, cellulite or sagging boobs can be disguised by clothing, but when those imperfections are on our face, they are out there for everyone to see. I'm sure it affects your confidence and self esteem.

I haven't had major skin problems, so I'll leave the specific advice for treatments to those who have already given you some great ideas, but I do have a few suggestions:

Mineral makeup was suggested. That's one of the first things I thought about when I saw your question. It usually doesn't contain ingredients that can irritate the skin--though brands vary--and often can be beneficial for the skin. It also can neutralize any redness you may have, especially if you use a powder with a yellowish tint--just over the red areas. Something like Bare Escentuals "Well Rested"' or Bobbie Brown light yellow concealer powder--both of which are supposed to be used around the eye area to counteract undereye circles, but which I found are good to neutralize red as a spot treatment, and/or as a base coat under other foundation colors.

I also really like the mineral makeup from www.larenim.com . It's talc free. And their vegan Kabuki brush is fabulous!

A non-greasy primer might help to smooth the skin a bit before makeup application.

Another thing I would do is get a fabulous haircut that flatters your face shape, and can detract a bit from the condition of your skin. An excellent hair stylist can do a lot to make one look better (one I went to in Paris took 10 years off my look, and gave me a 'face lift' with a pair of scissors rather than a scalpel!).

Diet wise, make sure to drink plenty of water, and eat high-water-content veggies (which also contain minerals that might be beneficial for the skin): cucumbers, celery, greens, things like that.

I struggled with acne for many years. It was the painful cystic stuff that never seemed to heal. It has horrible and really messed up my self confidence. While my vegan diet and making sure I drank plenty of water made my skin better it never really cleared the problem. Proactive and similar products that seemed to work for everyone also did nothing for me. Finally I tried RetinA. It made my skin really dry, red and flaky for a few weeks but did wonders long term. I get the occasional pimple here and there but nothing like before. It is also cheap as my insurances covers it so it is only like 10 dollars a package and a package lasts for five or six months. It also evened out my skin tone and faded away the scaring on my face. The only negative side to it is that it also faded my freckles which I actually kinda grew to like. However I consider that a small price to pay because looking at my skin today you would never know I once had an acne problem.

I was on a trip late last year and had to wake up another woman in our group. I'd just gotten up myself, when I knocked on her door. She thanked me and asked if I were feeling okay. I was surprised and said "Yea, I feel great... considering I'm not a morning person." She told me I didn't look so great. She kept insisting something about me wasn't right when I finally realized she just hadn't seen me without makeup before. She couldn't believe that's all that was wrong with me because I looked "terrible" but that was it. I only occasionally get breakouts but the blotchiness and unevenness is unreal. From time to time I think I'll get something done about it, because I know they can do all kinds of stuff to even out skin tone now but, financially, it's not top priority. I use Cover Girl foundation (green label, unscented), in Ivory, which does a miraculous job of camouflaging the mess but It's a rare circumstance when I would allow This Face to be seen without it. It's not just you.

Very good advice...one more thing. Go see a derm about a laser type treatment. They make lasers for every skin concern and you see results almost right away. I get IPL facials once a year. They remove brown spots, fine lines, broken capillaries and so on. Its totally worth the money, after all its your face.:)

Now you've opened up a can of worms, Tneah. I know you live in Vegas but I have to ask, about what does one of those treatments cost there? Hopefully, it'll be cheaper in Columbus Ohio, though I doubt it. I'm really thinking about this now...

I really know how you feel. One thing that helped me was reading "The Skin Type Solution" by Leslie Baumann (www.skintypesolutions.com), and also reading lots of free info on the Paula's Choice web site (www.cosmeticscop.com). I have been using product recommendations from both of those and am definitely seeing improvement. I especially am getting results with the Paula's Choice BHA lotions.

One problem is every individual is unique when it comes to what works and what doesn't, and it can be really hard to find what works for you - not to mention the cost of trying different products really adds up. I can totally empathize.

HTH!

I'm completely the opposite of the face spectrum...and I'm so tired of spending money on products that don't work or cause my skin to burn. I've always had dry skin. In the winter it gets so bad because I live to be outside and the wind just chaps my skin.

I was looking at pauls choice stuff and she has a lot of GREAT reviews, but again...it cost so much to try new stuff...I just spent a load of money trying some stuff that made my face burn...after a couple uses...and had to go back to what I'd been using that makes my face feel oily when you first put it on and then it gets dry...later in the day...any suggestions for me...I need help too!

Thanks!

I'm completely the opposite of the face spectrum...and I'm so tired of spending money on products that don't work or cause my skin to burn. I've always had dry skin. In the winter it gets so bad because I live to be outside and the wind just chaps my skin.

I was looking at pauls choice stuff and she has a lot of GREAT reviews, but again...it cost so much to try new stuff...I just spent a load of money trying some stuff that made my face burn...after a couple uses...and had to go back to what I'd been using that makes my face feel oily when you first put it on and then it gets dry...later in the day...any suggestions for me...I need help too!

Thanks!

Paula's Choice does have samples you can order of all her products. I think they are about 80 cents each. I have very oily skin and her products work great for me, but I know nothing about dry skin!

~Lori

I feel your pain on having acne as an adult. My skin was absolutely fine until my late 20s/early 30s, when my hormones apparently went haywire. I tried so many different products, including Proactive and Paula's Choice, which worked for a time with varying degrees of success. I cetainly don't knock them -- or any other product; they just didn't work as effectively for me in the long term. After A LOT of money spent on cosmetic products (both to treat AND cover up the problem), I went to the dermatologist, who prescribed different combinations of topical creams and antibiotics, without success. Ultimately, it took treatment with the heavy hitter, Accutane. Though I was reluctant about this drug, I was at my wit's end by that point. My older sister had been successful with it, so I decided to go through with it as well. The side effects are nothing to be made light of, but I must say, I was thrilled with the outcome. No more cystic acne for me. Once in awhile, I will get a pimple here or there, but generally, my skin is once again clear. Even the previous scarring is gone. I'm very thankful for what it did for me and found the risks to be worth it.

Good luck! I hope you can find the solution that works for you.

Paula's Choice does have samples you can order of all her products. I think they are about 80 cents each. I have very oily skin and her products work great for me, but I know nothing about dry skin!

~Lori

Ok, I just order some Paula's choice...the basic stuff...it's way cheaper than the last batch of stuff I'm using and it about right on line with the stuff that I'm not completely satisfied with...wow! I hope I like it...I'll have to report back...smile.

Everyone tells me I have beautiful completion...and I guess I do because I have no pores...well, I do...

my husband has oily skin and he's got his drying out stuff and I have my vasaline some nights, especially in the winter...yeah...vasaline...seems to be the only thing sometimes that sometimes helps...not always...but...

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.